Broadmeadows railway station, Melbourne
Northbound view from Platform 2 in October 2009
|Location||Pascoe Vale Road, Broadmeadows|
|Distance||16.80 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 February 1873|
The Melbourne - Sydney standard gauge line is adjacent to the station on the eastern side, and at the southern end the Albion-Jacana freight line branches westward from the main line, providing an alternate route to Melbourne from the suburban lines via Essendon.
The railway past the site of Broadmeadows station opened in 1872 as part of the North East railway to Wodonga. At the time of opening the village of Broadmeadows was located some distance from the station, becoming known as "Old Broadmeadows" and now Westmeadows. It was not until the post Second World War housing developments that the gap between the old town and the station were filled.
The station was initially provided with a 150-foot (46 m) long platform, a goods siding and shed, and a passing loop for trains on the single track. This early station was closer to Camp Road than the station today. A permanent station building was provided in 1878 along with a longer platform, all on the present site. In 1885 the line was duplicated, and a second platform of timber construction provided.
Electric train services between the city and Essendon were inaugurated in 1919, with electrification extended to Broadmeadows in 1921. However Essendon remained the terminus of most suburban services, with a shuttle service operating beyond until 1925, with all day through services to Broadmeadows not provided until 1941. The station took the layout it has today in 1969, with the abolition of the centre track, closure of the stand alone signal box, provision of automatic signalling along the line, and replacement of the Buckley Street interlocked crossing gates with boom barriers. Stabling facilities are located at the northern end of the station.
In 2007 suburban electric services were extended to Craigieburn, with the siding closest to the standard gauge line being removed.
The level crossing at Camp Road was initially protected by hand operated gates, with boom barriers provided in 1961, and the current overpass in 1978. Barry Road also had a level crossing but was replaced by the current overpass in the late 1950s as part of the construction of the standard gauge line.
The lever frame in the signal box was provided in 1889, which was replaced in 1929 when the Albion-Jacana freight line opened. Mechanical signalling along the line to Essendon was abolished in 1965, but it was not until 2000 that a Westrace solid state interlocking was provided. Control of this was moved to Craigieburn in 2007 as part of the electrification extension.
A third platform on the parallel standard gauge line was completed in late 2009, as part of the North East Rail Revitalisation Project which saw the V/Line Albury service converted to standard gauge operation.
An Army siding was provided during the Second World War to Broadstore, located to the north-east of the station, opening on 12 October 1942, and remaining in place until 1982 however, the track was not lifted until after 1991. The Broadstore Line was a single unelectrified track, and extended in a directly easterly direction for approximately 1.6 kilometres towards the Upfield Line and terminated at the Maygar Barracks on Camp Road. At one time, it also had a further branch that supplied a migrant hostel. The Broadstore branch line is marked on the maps of Victorian Railways (1950, 1960, 1970, and 1980), terminating in a station marked "Broadstore".
Platforms & services
Broadmeadows has one three side platforms. Platforms 1 and 2 are serviced by broad gauge Metro Trains' Craigieburn line and V/Line Seymour and Shepparton services. Platform 3 is served by standard gauge V/Line Albury and NSW Trainlink Sydney services. A few Metro Trains services commence and terminate at Broadmeadows in peak hour.
- Craigieburn line: all stations services to Flinders Street
- Seymour line: V/Line services to Southern Cross
- Shepparton line: V/Line services to Southern Cross
- Craigieburn line: all stations services to Craigieburn
- Seymour line: V/Line services to Seymour
- Shepparton line: V/Line services to Shepparton
- Albury/Wodonga line: V/Line services to Albury
- NSW TrainLink Southern: NSW TrainLink services to Sydney Central
- Albury/Wodonga line: V/Line services to Southern Cross
- NSW TrainLink Southern: NSW TrainLink XPT services to Southern Cross
Broadmeadows Bus Service operate five routes via Broadmeadows station:
- 532: to Craigieburn station
- 538: to Somerset Estate
- 540: to Upfield station
- 541: to Roxburgh Park station
- 542: Pascoe Vale station - Roxburgh Park station
Tullamarine Bus Lines operate three routes via Broadmeadows station:
- Broadmeadows Vicsig
- Turton, Keith W (1973). Six And A Half Inches From Destiny. The first hundred years of the Melbourne-Wodonga Railway 1873-1973. Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 87, 125. ISBN 0-85849-012-9.
- SE Dornan & RG Henderson (1979). Electric Railways of Victoria. Australian Electric Traction Society. p. 54. ISBN 0-909459-06-1.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail (Australian Railway Heritage Society): page 310. October 1997.
- "Victorian Station Histories: Broadmeadows station" (PDF). www.vrhistory.com. Retrieved 24 December 2008.
- Program of Works Southern Improvement Alliance
- "Full steam ahead" ABC News 30 May 2008
- "Railway Map of Victoria, 1950" (PDF). www.vrhistory.com. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "Railway Map of Victoria, 1960" (PDF). www.vrhistory.com. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "Railway Map of Victoria, 1970" (PDF). www.vrhistory.com. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- "Railway Map of Victoria, 1980" (PDF). www.vrhistory.com. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- Craigieburn Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Seymour - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Shepparton - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Albury - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Southern timetable NSW TrainLink 30 June 2014
- Route 532 Craigieburn - Broadmeadows timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 538 Somerset Estate - Broadmeadows timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 540 Upfield - Broadmeadows timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 541 Roxburgh Park - Broadmeadows timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 542 Roxburgh Park - Pascoe Vale timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 901 Frankston - Melbourne Airport timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 902 Chelsea - Airport West timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 477 Moonee Ponds- Broadmeadows timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 484 Broadmeadows - Roxburgh Park timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 500 Broadmeadows - Sunbury timetable Public Transport Victoria
Media related to Broadmeadows railway station, Melbourne at Wikimedia Commons