Broadway High School (Broadway, Virginia)
|Broadway High School|
|269 Gobbler Drive
Broadway, Virginia, 22815
|School type||Public, high school|
|Motto||"Working together within a positive atmosphere to provide a foundation for lifelong learning."|
|School district||Rockingham County Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Carol S. Fenn|
|Principal||Dr. Stephen R. Leaman|
|Assistant principals||Timothy R. Good
|Color(s)||Green, Black and White|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
AA Region III
AA Valley District
|Newspaper||'The Green Quill'|
Broadway High School is a school in Broadway, Virginia. It is located at 269 Gobbler Drive.
The original Broadway School was a small, one-room building that opened in the mid-1870s and was taught by C. E. Barglebaugh, just eighteen years old. Four rooms were added over the years, but it burned down in 1907. A brick building with a library, office, auditorium, and six rooms replaced it. A high school was built adjacent to thttp://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&type=signuphat building in 1920, and grade school and high school were divided. A new high school was built in the 1950s, west of the town. J. Frank Hillyard, the principal of that school, is remembered by the name the school now goes by, J. Frank Hillyard Middle School. That school became a middle school when, in January 1998, a new Broadway High was built on Springbrook Road, where it stands today. A time capsule was buried in 1992 by the SCA to mark the old school's (current Middle School's) 40th anniversary. The time capsule will be opened in 2032.
- Track and field (indoor–outdoor)
- Brett Olinger was the two-time state champion in the 300 meter hurdles (2005-2006).
- Cross country
- Coached by Tim Harris
- The Broadway Boys' Tennis Team was undefeated, and thus the champions, of the 9-school Valley District in 2007.
- Number 1 seeded Martin Donaire was Broadway's first ever Massanutten District Tennis Champion in Singles and Doubles in 2008.
- Varsity coached by Dwight Walton, Brian Ratliff, John Holloran and Terry Jameson
- 2007-08 - Varsity reached the Region 3 semifinal game for the first time in school history.
- Junior Varsity coached by Jacob Early, Ben Bowman, Steve Shifflett and Willie Tinnell
- 2007-08 - Junior Varsity finished with an 18-3 record.
- 2009-10 Region 3 champions.
- 2007 Massanutten District Champions.
- Had five players sign LOIs to play football in college after the 2007 season.
- Brett Olinger carried the ball over a thousand yards in his high school career.
- Quinton Callahan holds the school record with a 39-yard field goal.
- The junior varsity football team finished the 2008 season undefeated
- Coached by Nate Bradley
- Coached by Jackie Marinucci, third-year varsity coach.
- Founded in 2004, Broadway swimming has continued to improve throughout the years. In 2008, the entire team qualified for Regional Three Meet, and five Broadway swimmers; Andrew Bahr, Justin Chambers, Ashleigh Ray, Zachary Ritchie, and Sam Roderick, attended VHSL AA State Championships at George Mason University, competing in five events. In 2009, the team size doubled and Broadway swimming became more competitive. Also in 2009- Andrew Bahr, Justin Chambers, Sydney Collins, Hunter Good, and Sam Roderick attended VHSL AA State Championships at University of Virginia.
- Softball -
- Baseball -
- Soccer -
The band department is currently headed by Ben Frenchak, and consists of Concert Band for the younger musicians, Wind Symphony for mostly upperclassmen, and the Jazz band year round. Marching band begins in late summer and generally ends with a Christmas parade. For those who aren't in the cast or crew of the spring musical, there is pit orchestra. Broadway Band Department earned the status of Virginia Honor Band in both 2007 and 2010 as well as the Music Department earning the honor of Blue Ribbon School in 2010. 
- 2005: (Fate of the Gods) First place in class A Parade of Champions at James Madison University
- 2005: (Fate of the Gods) Excellent Rating at VBODA
- 2006: (Ghost Train) First place in class A Parade of Champions at James Madison University
- 2006: (Ghost Train) Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2007: (Dances from Estancia) Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2008: (The Mask of Zorro) Excellent Rating at VBODA
- 2009: (Artist's Palette) Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2010: Dreams and Nightmares, an original composition by Ben Frenchak - Superior Rating at VBODA and First Place in Class A at Parade of Champions, hosted by James Madison University
- 2013: Transcendent Journey - Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2004 Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2005 Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2006 Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2007 Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2008 Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2009 Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2010 Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2011 Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2012 Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2013 Superior Rating at VBODA
- 2014 Superior Rating at VBODA
Fall one-act plays
Mr. Reger directed them until he left, then Ms. Dickerson and Mrs. Tate ran them, and Andrea Bentley, Andrea Sisk, took over for a year, but now Mr. Reger has returned. In 2013, Mrs. Johnson started directing.
- 2003: Skip to My Loo
- 2004: Love of One's Neighbor
- 2005: Property Rites
- 2006: Meeting Sam
- 2007: Requiem
- 2008: Patients
- 2009: The Winner
- 2010: The Box
- 2011: Reflex Action
- 2013: Booby Trap (play)
Kim Tate and Holly Dickerson direct the musicals.
- 1996: Fiddler on the Roof
- 1997: The Wizard of Oz
- 1998: Hello Dolly
- 1999: Guys and Dolls
- 2000: My Fair Lady
- 2001: The Sound of Music
- 2002: Oklahoma!
- 2003: Meet Me in St. Louis
- 2004: 42nd Street
- 2005: Beauty and the Beast
- 2006: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
- 2007: On the Town
- 2008: The King and I
- 2009: Singin' in the Rain
- 2010: White Christmas
- 2011: Annie Get Your Gun
- 2012: Fiddler On The Roof
The Broadway Academic team of '06-'07 had twenty-six members: one freshman, six sophomores, one junior, and eighteen seniors. Their A team beat all schools at least once save for Lee and Rockbridge.
Broadway High School is also a participant in Massanutten Regional Governor's School for Integrated Science and Technology, alongside all the other schools in the district.
- Future Business Leaders of America
- Future Farmers of America
- Character Involvement Club
- Technology Student Association - 2008-09 - 1st Place in State & 3rd Place in National TSA Conference, Radio Controlled Transportation - Daniel Rittenhouse & Jeremy Evans
- Future Educators of America
- Youth in Government
- World Language Honors Society
- Tri-M Music Honors Society
- Youth Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Project
- National Honors Society
- National Art Honors Society
- 9th and 10th Grade Book Club
- Book Gobblers