|Boston Red Sox – No. 26|
June 11, 1988 |
Fort Worth, Texas
|Bats: Left||Throws: Right|
|September 1, 2012 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through September 1, 2014)
|Runs batted in||41|
|Career highlights and awards|
High school and college
Holt graduated in 2006 from Stephenville High School in Texas. In 2003, his freshman year, he made the District 8-4A All-District baseball team despite batting just .227, also sharing the league's Newcomer of the Year award. Holt was a second-team All-District 8-4A inclusion his sophomore year, batting .324 for the season. In 2005, Holt was named defensive player of the year in District 6-4a, and he earned all-district honors in 2006, his senior year.
Holt attended Navarro College in 2007 and 2008. After transferring to Rice University in 2009, he posted a .348 batting average with 12 home runs and 43 runs batted in in 59 games for the Rice Owls. He also led the Owls with 67 runs scored and shared the team lead with 11 stolen bases. In the same season, he was named both to the All-NCAA Regional Team and the All-Silver Glove Trophy Series team.
Holt began his professional career with the Pittsburgh Pirates' short season, Class-A affiliate, the State College Spikes, before advancing to the High-A Bradenton Marauders in 2010. His 2010 season was cut short due to injury to his medial collateral ligament, which required surgery. He began the 2011 season with the Pirates' Double-A affiliate, the Altoona Curve. On July 13, 2011, Holt was named the MVP of the Eastern League All-Star Game after hitting a two-run homer in the ninth inning.
Pittsburgh Pirates (2012)
Holt made his Major League debut on September 1, 2012. At the time of his promotion, he had hit a .322 average in 102 games with Altoona and .432 in 24 games for Indianapolis.
On September 4, against the Houston Astros, Holt became only the second Pirates player since 1900 to have a four-hit game within his first four career games in the majors. The only other Pirates player to have a four-hit game so early in his career was Jack Merson, who went 4-for-5 in his second major league game on September 15, 1951. In 24 games, Holt batted .292 with a triple and 3 RBI.
Boston Red Sox (2013-present)
On December 26, 2012 he was traded to the Boston Red Sox (along with Joel Hanrahan) for Jerry Sands, Stolmy Pimentel, Mark Melancon and Iván DeJesús, Jr.. Holt started the 2013 season with the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox. He debuted for Boston after getting called up on July 6 in Anaheim. In 2013, Holt played in 26 games, hitting .203 with 11 RBI. Holt received his first championship ring when the Red Sox won the World Series over the St. Louis Cardinals, despite not playing in the postseason.
Holt again started 2014 in Triple-A, but was called up May 17 after an injury to Will Middlebrooks. On May 31, 2014, against the Tampa Bay Rays at Fenway Park, Brock Holt hit his first Major League home run. On June 8th, 2014, in order to allow Xander Bogaerts to play 3rd base, Holt moved to left field. He immediately impressed, making a sensational catch on the warning track to rob Ian Kinsler of a hit. On July 9, 2014, against the Chicago White Sox, Holt drove in Daniel Nava in the bottom of the 9th for the first walk-off hit of his career.
Holt married Lakyn Pennington on November 9, 2013.
- "Seven Jackets on 8-4A All-District baseball team". Stephenville Empire-Tribune. June 6, 2003. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Seven from SHS on 8-4A baseball team". Stephenville Empire-Tribune. June 10, 2004. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "6-4A All District team named". Stephenville Empire-Tribune. June 9, 2005. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Area baseball, softball players Earn All-District honors". Stephenville Empire-Tribune. June 16, 2006. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Pirates Sign Ninth Round Pick Brock Holt". PittsburghPirates.com. June 19, 2009. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Bandi, Matt (June 22, 2010). "Brock Holt out for season with torn meniscus". Pirates Prospects. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Moynahan, Brian (July 13, 2011). "West pulls away for All-Star victory". MiLB.com. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- Singer, Tom (September 1, 2012). "Bucs bring up five for stretch run".
- "Walker Ready to take Swings". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. September 5, 2012.
- Red Sox Acquire Joel Hanrahan From Pirates
- Pennington - Holt
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Rice Owls bio