|Boston Red Sox – No. 26|
June 11, 1988 |
Fort Worth, Texas
|Bats: Left||Throws: Right|
|September 1, 2012 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2012 season)
|Runs batted in||3|
High School and College
Holt graduated from Stephenville High School in 2006. He attended Navarro College in 2007 and 2008. After transferring to Rice University in 2009, he posted a .348 batting average with 12 home runs and 43 runs batted in in 59 games for the Rice Owls. He also led the Owls with 67 runs scored and shared the team lead with 11 stolen bases. In the same season, he was named both to the All-NCAA Regional Team and the All-Silver Glove Trophy Series team. Holt was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates with the club's ninth round selection in the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft, one pick before Rice teammate Ryan Berry.
Holt began his professional career with the Pittsburgh Pirates' short season, Class-A affiliate, the State College Spikes, before advancing to the High-A Bradenton Marauders in 2010. His 2010 season was cut short due to injury to his medial collateral ligament, which required surgery. He began the 2011 season with the Pirates' Double-A affiliate, the Altoona Curve. On July 13, 2011, Holt was named the MVP of the Eastern League All-Star Game after hitting a two-run homer in the ninth inning.
Holt opened 2012 with Altoona and later joined Triple-A Indianapolis Indians. He was promoted to the Pittsburgh Pirates from the minors as the major league rosters expanded on September 1. At the time of his promotion, he had hit a .322 average in 102 games with Altoona and .432 in 24 games for Indianapolis.
On September 4, against the Houston Astros, Holt became only the second Pirates player since 1900 to have a four-hit game within his first four career games in the majors. The only other Pirates player to have a four-hit game so early in his career was Jack Merson, who went 4-for-5 in his second major league game on September 15, 1951.
Boston Red Sox
- "Pirates Sign Ninth Round Pick Brock Holt". PittsburghPirates.com. June 19, 2009. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Bandi, Matt (June 22, 2010). "Brock Holt out for season with torn meniscus". Pirates Prospects. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- Moynahan, Brian (July 13, 2011). "West pulls away for All-Star victory". MiLB.com. Retrieved July 14, 2011.
- Singer, Tom (September 1, 2012). "Bucs bring up five for stretch run".
- "Walker Ready to take Swings". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. September 5, 2012.
- Red Sox Acquire Joel Hanrahan From Pirates
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Rice Owls bio