Broken Hill (film)
|Directed by||Dagen Merrill|
|Produced by||Chris Wyatt
|Written by||Dagen Merrill|
Tommy (Arnold), a gifted teenage composer, dreams of being accepted into the famous Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Unfortunately, a good band is hard to find in the middle of the Australian Outback—until an incident involving flying watermelons leads him to a group of talented prison inmates.
He meets Kat (Vega), his love interest, as part of the story.
- Luke Arnold as Tommy McAlpine
- Alexa Vega as Kat Rogers
- Timothy Hutton as George McAlpine
- Rhys Wakefield as Scott Price
- Andy McPhee as Bear
- The Fishbowl Boys as themselves
- Klayton Stainer as Watermelon Thief
Jeff Vice of the Deseret News praises the "gorgeous Australian settings" and the cast of "mostly fresh-faced actors," sums it up as an "entertaining feel-good tale", before awarding the film 2½ stars out of four.
Broken Hill took the ‘Best Feature Film - Audience Choice’ Award at the TriMedia Film Festival held in Fort Collins, Colorado (USA) and won a Best Film award at the Giffoni Film Festival in Italy. The Giffoni Film Festival website describes Broken Hill as "halfway between Sister Act and the Italian movie La musica nel Cuore.
The DVD was released in the US on May 17, 2011.
- Broken Hill - Release Dates
- Movie review: Broken Hill - Orlando Sentinel, September 18, 2009. Retrieved December 3, 2010.
- Broken Hill - Dallas Morning News, September 10, 2009. Retrieved December 3, 2010.
- Broken Hill - Deseret News, Sept. 11, 2009. Retrieved December 3, 2010.
- Broken Hill - Christian Answers. Retrieved December 3, 2010.
- Broken Hill - Giffoni Film Festival, July 21, 2009. Retrieved December 3, 2010.
- Broken Hill awarded Top Jury Prize - Audience Alliance Pictures, March 18, 2010. Retrieved December 3, 2010.