|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Years active||1988–2002, 2012–present|
|Website||Broken Hope facebook|
|Past members||Joe Ptacek
Broken Hope was founded in 1988. They were known as an accomplished mid-paced style death metal band with low-pitched growling vocals. As a band, they spanned roughly twelve years, recording five albums between 1991 and 1999.
The early lineup of Broken Hope was Joe Ptacek (vocals), Jeremy Wagner (rhythm guitar), Brian Griffin (lead guitar), and Ryan Stanek (drums). They scored a deal with the then-fledging Grindcore/RedLight Label and recorded their debut album, Swamped in Gore.
Following the release, Metal Blade Records signed the band, who released their second album, The Bowels of Repugnance, in 1993. The band's third album, 1995's Repulsive Conception, reached CMJ New Music Monthly's Metal Top 25 chart, as did the follow-up, 1997's Loathing, an album which explored topics such as political domination, necrophilia, and safe sex.
The band moved to newly formed indie Martyr Records for their fifth album, Grotesque Blessings, released in 1999. Rumors of the band's demise circulated at this time,This also marks the last album Joe Ptacek was ever on and by April 2002, Broken Hope disbanded.
In a 2007 interview, Wagner explained that several factors, including band dysfunction and a lack of support in Europe from Metal Blade, contributed to the split. Wagner added that the band members had met "face to face" for the first time in five years and discussed a possible reunion.
The band reunited in 2012 with returning members Shaun Glass and Jeremy Wagner, and new members Mike Miczek and Damian Leski, playing a North American tour with Obituary, Decrepit Birth, Jungle Rot, and Encrust.
Omen of Disease was released September 27, 2013 via Century Media Records.
- Jeremy Wagner – rhythm guitar (1988–2002, 2012–present)
- Damian Leski – vocals (2012–present)
- Mike Miczek – drums (2012–present)
- Matt Szlachta – lead guitar (2014–present)
- Diego Soria – bass guitar (2014–present)
- Joe Ptacek – vocals (1988–2002; died 2010)
- Ryan Stanek – drums (1988–1997; died 2015)
- Ed Hughes – bass guitar (1988–1994)
- Dave Duff – lead guitar (1988–1990)
- Brian Griffin – lead guitar (1991–2002)
- Shaun Glass – bass guitar (1995–1998, 2012–2014)
- Duane Timlin – drums (1997–1999)
- Brian Hobbie – bass guitar (1999–2002)
- Sean Baxter – drums (1999–2002)
- Ryan Schimmenti – bass guitar (1999)
- Mike Zwicke – bass guitar (1999)
- Larry DeMumbrum – drums (1999)
- Chuck Wepfer – lead guitar (2012–2014)
- Studio Albums
- Swamped in Gore (1991)
- The Bowels of Repugnance (1993)
- Repulsive Conception (1995)
- Loathing (1997)
- Grotesque Blessings (1999)
- Omen of Disease (2013)
- Extended Plays
- Hobo Stew (1993)
- Broken Hope (1990)
- Demo 2 (1990)
- Demo '93 (1993)
- Ankeny, Jason. "Broken Hope - Biography". Allmusic (Macrovision Corporation). Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "Metal Top 25". CMJ New Music Monthly (College Media, Inc.) (24): 46. August 1995. ISSN 1074-6978. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "Metal Top 25". CMJ New Music Monthly (College Media, Inc.) (45): 48. May 1997. ISSN 1074-6978. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- Iwasald, Scott (1997-04-02). "Broken Hope Grinds onto Scene; Grip Inc. Returns". Deseret News (Deseret News Publishing Company). p. C5. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- Stewart-Panko, Kevin (February 2000). "Aggressive Tendencies". Exclaim!. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "Broken Hope's Jeremy Wagner: Where It All Went Wrong". Blabbermouth.net. 2002-04-02. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "Broken Hope to Reunite?". Blabbermouth.net. 2007-07-13. Retrieved 2009-11-27.
- "Joe Ptacek suicide". Retrieved 2010-01-23.