|Jmol-3D images||Image 1|
|Molar mass||527.41 g/mol|
|Main hazards||T N|
|Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C (77 °F), 100 kPa)|
Bromadiolone is a potent anticoagulant rodenticide. It is a second-generation 4-hydroxycoumarin derivative and vitamin K antagonist, often called a "super-warfarin" for its added potency and tendency to accumulate in the liver of the poisoned organism. When first introduced to the UK market in 1980, it was effective against the populations that had become resistant to the first generation anticoagulants.
The product may be used both indoors and outdoors for rats and mice.
The compound is used as a mixture of four stereoisomers. Its two stereoisomeric centers are at the phenyl- and the hydroxyl- carbons in the carbon chain of the substituent at the 3 position of the coumarin (2-hydroxychromen-4-one).
Bromadiolone can be absorbed through the digestive tract, through the lungs, or through skin contact. The pesticide is generally given orally. The substance is a vitamin K antagonist. The lack of vitamin K in the circulatory system reduces blood clotting and will cause death due to internal hemorrhaging.
Poisoning doesn't show up for 24 to 36 hours after poison is eaten and often it may take 2–5 days for the signs to show up.
- rats 1.125 mg/kg b.w.
- mice 1.75 mg/kg b.w.
- rabbits 1 mg/kg b.w.
- dogs > 10 mg/kg b.w. (MTD)
- cats > 25 mg/kg b.w. (MTD)
Rat poisons, in most cases, can take up to 3 weeks to take effect. They contain anti-coagulants which slowly kill the rat over a period of time, this is to ensure that other rats will continue to eat the bait and not immediately associate it with death.
Vitamin K1 is used as antidote.
- Maximum Tolerated oral Dosage (MTD)
- The Veterinarian’s Guide to accidental rodenticide ingestion by dogs & cats
- "Bromadiolone in Rat Poison".