Bronze Medal of Military Valor
|Bronze Medal of Military Valor
Medaglia di bronzo al Valore Militare
Italy's Bronze Medal of Military Valor
|Eligibility||Junior officers and soldiers|
|Awarded for||Deeds of outstanding gallantry in war|
|Established||26 March 1833|
|Next (higher)||Silver Medal for Army Valor|
|Next (lower)||Bronze Medal for Army Valor|
Ribbon bar of the medal
These medals, as well as the "Croce di Guerra al Valor Militare" (War Cross of Military Valor - which can only be awarded in time of war) are established by the Royal Decree of 4 November 1932, in which their purpose is defined as "To distinguish and publicly honor the authors of heroic military acts, even ones performed in time of peace, provided that the exploit is closely connected with the purposes for which the Armed Forces are constituted, whatever may be the condition or quality of the author."
During World War I, the medal was given out some 60,244 times for individual acts of heroism (compared to 38,614 Silver medals and 368 Gold Medals).
- Gold Medal of Military Valor
- Silver Medal of Military Valor
- List of prizes, medals, and awards
- Italian medals 1860-today (Italian Wikipedia)
- "Esercito Italiano- Nastrini delle decorazioni in uso" (in Italian). Esercito.difesa.it. Retrieved 2012-05-30.
- see http://bibliogo.ccm.it/index.php?page=View.DocDetail&id=742193 which describes the book "Le medaglie d'oro al valor militare: volume primo, Roma, [Gruppo Medaglie d'Oro al Valor Militare d'Italia], 1965, 804 p.; 22 cm"
- official website of the Italian Presidency http://www.quirinale.it/qrnw/statico/onorificenze/cennistorici/medagliacrocevm.htm
- "Nel 1° Centenario della istituzione della Medaglia al Valor Militare" edizione del 1933 dell' Ufficio storico dell' esercito