|Born||Long Island, New York, USA|
|Education||University of Vermont
|Notable credit(s)||On the Media
All Things Considered
Brooke Gladstone is an American journalist and media analyst. She is host and managing editor of the National Public Radio newsmagazine, On the Media, and has been a contributor to The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, The Observer, and Slate. Gladstone lectures at universities and conferences and has appeared on PBS's Bill Moyers Journal and CNN's Reliable Sources (and once filled in for Charlie Rose on PBS's Charlie Rose Show.) She is widely quoted as an expert on press trends.
Gladstone has covered media for much of her career. In Washington, D.C. in the early 1980s she covered public broadcasting for the industry newspaper Current and reported for Cablevision and The Washington Weekly.
In 1987, at the age of 32, she joined National Public Radio, first as editor of Weekend Edition with Scott Simon, and then as senior editor of All Things Considered. In 1991, she received a Knight Fellowship to study Russian language and history. A year later, she was reporting from Moscow for NPR, covering such stories as the bloody insurgency of the Russian Parliament. In 1995, Gladstone returned to the United States and was hired as NPR's first "media reporter," based in New York City.
In October 2000, WNYC — New York Public Radio — hired Gladstone to help relaunch On the Media, locally produced but nationally distributed by NPR. By 2010, it had quadrupled its audience and earned several major journalism awards.
Gladstone, in collaboration with cartoonist Josh Neufeld and others, wrote The Influencing Machine in 2011. Gladstone describes the book as "a treatise on the relationship between us and the news media," further described by Leon Neyfakh as "a manifesto on the role of the press in American history as told through a cartoon version of herself."
Honors and awards
- Peabody award, 2004
- Milwaukee Press Club Sacred Cat Award, 2003
- Overseas Press Club Award
- John S. Knight Fellowships for Professional Journalists, 1991
- Brooke Gladstone, Josh Neufeld (2011). The Influencing Machine: Brooke Gladstone on the Media. W. W. Norton & Company. ISBN 9780393077797.
- Gladstone, Brooke; Neufeld, Josh; Jones, Randy; Jones, Susann (2011). The Influencing Machine. W. W. Norton & Company. p. 170. ISBN 978-0-393-07779-7.
- Neyfakh, Leon (May 26, 2009). "Norton Buys Graphic Media Manifesto". New York Observer.
- Thorn, Jesse. "On the Media Hosts Brooke Gladstone and Bob Garfield," Interview on The Sound of Young America (April 13, 2009).
- "64th Annual Peabody Winners". Press release (April 7, 2005). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "Sacred Cat Award," Milwaukee Press Club website. Accessed May 9, 2010.
- "NPR Biography: Brooke Gladstone". National Public Radio. 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
- Brooke Gladstone biography at On the Media
- Gladstone speaking at AtGoogleTalks
- Gladstone twitter feed at Twitter