Brooke Miller (musician)
|Birth name||Brooke Ellen Miller|
January 14, 1982 |
Montague, Prince Edward Island, Canada
|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Labels||Sony, Hickory Records, Candyrat, Sparkle Plenty, Universal|
Brooke Miller is a Canadian singer-songwriter and musician.
Miller was born Brooke Ellen Miller on January 14, 1982 in Montague, Prince Edward Island, Canada. Both of Miller's parents worked as musicians. Her mother is singer-songwriter Denise Reiser. Growing up in a musical household, Miller studied trombone, alto saxophone and flute in grade school, and began playing guitar at the age of nine. At the age of twelve she formed a punk band called Bleek, singing and playing electric guitar. In her teens she was influenced by the work of musical artists such as Ricki Lee Jones, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Cockburn and Ani DiFranco.
Miller released her first independent CD, Lending an Hourglass, in 2003. Fellow musician Don Ross heard a song from the album playing on CBC Radio while on tour in September 2003 and then met Miller at a music convention in Halifax a month later. Ross produced Miller's follow up CD and the two decided to marry. Miller was signed to Sony/ATV Music Publishing in New York City and released the album You Can See Everything on Sony's Hickory Records in 2007. The album was produced by Ross and Peter Lubin, and mixed by Frank Filipetti. Miller embarked on a tour across Canada, the US and Europe doing solo shows and collaborations with finger-style guitarists Andy McKee and Don Ross .
In 2010 Miller released the self produced album Shake It Off on Candyrat Records. Miller began touring as a solo act and with other artists such as Jimmy Wahlsteen, Rose Cousins and her husband. In 2011, Miller release a self-titled album that featured new material along with revised versions of previously released songs on the Universal Music Group label. In 2012, Miller released an audiophile SACD/LP recording, entitled "Familiar", for the German hi-fi label Stockfisch Records. In September 2012, the disc was nominated for the Preis der Deutschen Schallplattenkritik.
- 2003: Lending an Hourglass, Independent
- 2007: You Can See Everything, Hickory Records/Sony/ATV
- 2010: Shake It Off, Candyrat Records
- 2011: Brooke Miller, Sparkle Plenty/Universal Music Group
- 2012: Familiar, Stockfisch Records
- Gallant, Doug (July 30, 2004). "Brooke Miller's CD packed with talent", The Guardian, p. C4.
- (March 26, 2006). "Brooke Miller marries voice and guitar", Kingston Whig-Standard, p. 6.
- Farber, Jim (October 12, 2007). "A singer who has 'Everything'", New York Daily News, p. 48.
- Orosz, Monica (May 15, 2008). "Canadian singer is not afraid of change", Charleston Daily Mail, p. D1.
- Gerken, Teja (July 2012). "Grove master", Acoustic Guitar 23 (1): 38–43.