Brookfield Road, 2012
|LGA(s)||City of BrisbaneBrookfield Road
Brookfield is a suburb of Brisbane, Australia approximately 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) to the west of the Brisbane CBD. Brookfield was named by Mrs J. S. Brimblecombe due to the creeks and gullies in the area.
Brookfield is a largely rural suburb consisting primarily of acreage properties. Although there are a small number of farms, the vast majority of property is residential. Moggill Road passes through the southernmost tip of the suburb and Moggill Creek marks part of the suburb's eastern boundary. North of Brookfield are the forested hills and mountains in D'Aguilar National Park.
Brisbane was occupied by the Jagera and Turrbal Aboriginal groups. Development in the Brookfield area began in 1869, when the area was opened for logging and farming. Brookfield State School was opened in 1874 and Brookfield Post Office opened on 12 August 1876.
Brookfield has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
Every year the Brookfield Show show is held over three days. The first Brookfield Show was held in 1910. The 2006 Brookfield show attracted almost 22,000 visitors. A formal ball is held annually in Brookfield. The 2005 Show Ball had 550 attendees, 2006, 2007 and 2008 attracted 800 people.
In the 2011 Census the population of Brookfield is 3,702, 51% female and 49% male.
The median/average age of the Brookfield population is 44 years of age, 7 years above the Australian average.
66% of people living in Brookfield were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were England 7.2%, South Africa 3.3%, New Zealand 2.6%, United States of America 1.3%, Scotland 1.2%.
85.6% of people speak English as their first language 1% German, 0.7% Mandarin, 0.5% Afrikaans, 0.5% French, 0.5% Cantonese.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Brookfield (Brisbane City) (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 December 2012.
- "Anglican Church of the Good Shepherd (entry 16026)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brookfield, Queensland.|
- Brookfield and Upper Brookfield: Queensland Places
- "Brookfield". BRISbites. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 19 July 2008.
- "Brookfield". Our Brisbane. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 6 March 2008.