Brookhaven High School (Columbus, Ohio)
|Brookhaven High School|
|4077 Karl Road
Columbus, Ohio, (Franklin County), 43224
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Columbus City Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Dan Good|
|Asst. Principal||Principal Dorsey|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold |
|Fight song||Drive On Bearcats|
|Athletics conference||Columbus City League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Mr. Reimsnider|
Brookhaven High School was a public high school located on the northeast side of Columbus, Ohio, United States. The school was a part of the Columbus City Schools system and opened in 1963. The list of notable alumni includes baseball player Paul O'Neill, football player Terry Glenn and basketball player Helen Darling.
The school colors were blue and gold and the school nickname was the Bearcats. Since 2004, the school had been participating in the Small schools movement. Brookhaven was divided into three small schools: Leadership, North Star, and Legacy. Plans for creating a middle school were announced many years before its closing but were never finalized.
After a decision made by the Columbus City Schools District, they announced that Brookhaven would be shut down by the end of the 2013-14 year due to declining population. With it, five elementary schools were closed as well. On May 29th, 2014, Brookhaven closed its doors for the last time due to a failed levy.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Football – 2004 
- Boys Basketball – 2002 
- Girls Basketball – 1996 
- Girls Track and Field – 1998 
- Paul O'Neill, Retired MLB right fielder; 5-time MLB All-Star
- Terry Glenn, Retired NFL wide receiver; Fred Biletnikoff Award winner, 2-time Pro Bowl selection
- Helen Darling, Guard for the San Antonio Silver Stars (WNBA)
- Jeff Cumberland, Tight end for the New York Jets (NFL)
- Marlon Kerner, Cornerback for the Buffalo Bills from 1995-98 (NFL)
- Alex Daniels, defensive lineman in the Arena Football League, member of the 2004 state championship football team.
- Dominic Jones, defensive back in the Arena Football League, member of the 2004 state championship football team.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2010-02-17.[dead link]
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball D1". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- "Paul O'Neill Official Website". Retrieved 2012-06-17.
- "Terry Glenn: Dallas' stealth bomber". 2006-11-08.[dead link]
- "Penn State University Sports Profiles: Helen Darling". Retrieved 2012-06-17.
- "Fighting Illini bio". Retrieved 2012-06-17.
- "FootballDatabase". Retrieved 2013-08-09.