Brooklyn Conservatory of Music
|Brooklyn Conservatory of Music|
|Former names||M. Brasher Residence|
|Type||Brick with brownstone trim|
|Address||58 Seventh Avenue
Brooklyn, New York City
|Owner||Brooklyn Conservatory of Music|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||S. F. Evelette|
The Brooklyn Conservatory of Music, known at one time as the Brooklyn-Queens Conservatory of Music, is a music conservatory located in Brooklyn, New York City. It offers a broad range of instruction in areas of American song, jazz and gospel singing, Latin jazz, and African drumming. The conservatory was founded in 1897 by German-American immigrants as a classical European conservatory.
The conservatory was initially located at Franklin Avenue and Lefferts Place. In 1944 it moved to occupy an 1881 five-story mansion at 58 Seventh Avenue, Park Slope, Brooklyn, which had been built in 1881 as the residence of M. Brasher, and subsequently became the Park Slope Masonic Club. The building was designed by S. F. Evelette in the Victorian Gothic style, with Queen Anne elements.  It is located in the Park Slope Historic District.
About 2,000 full and part-time students take instruction at the conservatory. The conservatory also hosts various musical programs throughout the year. The conservatory concentrates on making formal musical instruction available to people in all walks of life, including those who are not seeking careers as professional musicians.
- New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission "Park Slope Historic Distric Designation Report" (July 17, 1973)
- Kamil, Seth; Seth Kamil, Eric Wakin, Kevin Baker, (Not stated). The Big Onion Guide to Brooklyn: Ten Historic Walking Tours. New York: NYU Press. p. 141. ISBN 0-8147-4785-X.
- Freudenheim, Ellen; Anna Wiener (2004). Brooklyn!, 3rd Edition. New York: Macmillan. p. 357. ISBN 0-312-32331-X.
- White, Norval & Willensky, Elliot with Leadon, Fran (2010). AIA Guide to New York City (5th ed.). New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195383867., p.660
- "Brooklyn Conservatory of Music - Music School". School Information. Bridge to Music. 2004. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- "Brooklyn Conservatory of Music". Lessons and Classes. Brooklyn-Queens Conservatory of Music. 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-04.[dead link]
|This Brooklyn school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a university or college in New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|