Brookpark (RTA Rapid Transit station)
RTA rapid transit station
|Address||18010 Brookpark Road
Brookpark, Ohio 44142
|Connections|| 22 (Lorain)
78 (West 117th–Puritas)
86 (Rocky River Dr. - Berea)
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Parking||1,283 spaces (east)
322 spaces (west)
|Opened||April 20, 1969|
|Owned by||Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority|
It is the westernmost station on the RTA Rapid Transit that includes free parking, and it is the second busiest station on the RTA Rapid Transit, after Tower City. The station includes two large parking lots—the original one east of the station, and a new auxiliary one west of the station.
The station is a temporary structure built in 2003 and is being used while a decision is made on plans to develop the station area. The temporary station has no tunnel or bridge to the island platform, and passengers are required to cross the westbound tracks to reach the platform.
The four-mile extension of the CTS Rapid Transit from West Park station to Cleveland Hopkins International Airport was opened in November 1968, but the Brookpark Station was not opened when this extension was opened. The station opened the following spring on April 20. The station lobby and parking lot were originally located on the northeast side of the tracks and connected to the platform by a tunnel extending under the eastbound track and the adjacent tracks of CSX Transportation.
In 2000, RTA announced plans for a $7.5 million renovation of the station similar to other Red Line stations that have been or are being rebuilt. The plans called for closing the present station and building a temporary station on the other side of the tracks. The temporary station was erected and the old station closed, but further plans for a new station have been sidetracked.
In 2005, the RTA Board approved a letter of intent to build a permanent station as a part of a larger transit-oriented development which includes hotels, restaurants, and other commercial venues. The agreement provided for completion of the new station in three years, but due to the poor economy, this development has not yet been realized.
In March 2011, early stages of a design for the renovation of the station were approved and in October, 2011, RTA announced that the agency had received federal funds to repave the parking lot and bus station pavement.
- 2007 Park-and-Ride Inventory/Survey, NOACA 2006 Transit Network Guide, June 2007, p. 29.
- "RTA Board approves letter of intent for work at Brookpark Rapid Station" (Press release). Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority. 2005-03-01. Retrieved 2007-06-03.
- "About RTA: History of Public Transit in Greater Cleveland". RTA Website. Retrieved 2007-06-03.
- "Renovation planned for Brook Park station" (Press release). Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority. March 1, 2000. Retrieved 2007-06-03.
- "Planning & Development: Major Projects - Brookpark". RTA Website. Retrieved 2009-10-04.
- Baka, Ken (2011-10-30). "Brookpark rapid station in Brook Park, Cleveland to get federal money for parking lot". Sun News. Retrieved 2011-12-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brookpark (RTA Rapid Transit station).|