Ruins in Brothers
|Elevation||4,639 ft (1,414 m)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|Area code(s)||458 and 541|
|Coordinates and elevation from United States Geological Survey|
Brothers is an unincorporated community in Deschutes County, Oregon, United States on U.S. Route 20. It is part of the Bend, Oregon Metropolitan Statistical Area. It lies at an elevation of 4,639 feet (1,414 m) above sea level.
Brothers post office was established in 1913. One source says that the name comes from several families of brothers who settled in the area, including the Stenkamp Brothers, while another notes that there was a local Three Brothers Sheep Camp, named for three nearby hills that had the Three Sisters mountains looming behind them.
Vast tracts of uninhabited land covered with sagebrush surround Brothers, which are often used for model and high power rocket launches by Oregon Rocketry which has one of the highest Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) airspace waivers in the United States at 35,500 feet (10,800 m).
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Brothers has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
- "Brothers". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved August 23, 2009.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; Lewis L. McArthur (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (Seventh Edition ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 116. ISBN 0-87595-277-1.
- "Brothers Launch Site". OregonRocketry. Retrieved October 17, 2010.
- Greg Clark (July 27, 2010). "Welcome to Brothers Oregon". Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- Climate Summary for Brothers, Oregon
- "Eastern Point Schedule" (PDF). TAC Transportation. Retrieved July 24, 2011.
- Historic photo of Brothers School from Salem Public Library
- Wired News article on technology-assisted learning in Brothers
|This Deschutes County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|