Broward Correctional Institution
The Broward Correctional Institution (BCI) was a correctional facility located in the former Country Estates CDP and in Southwest Ranches, Florida, operated by the Florida Department of Corrections. The Region IV Correctional Facility Office is located on the grounds of Broward Correctional Institution in the former Country Estates CDP. The prison was in proximity to Pembroke Pines. It was located along Sheridan Street, near U.S. Route 27.
The facility was opened in 1977 to house a male inmate population. However, in its history the prison has had only female inmates. It housed female death row inmates until February 2003 when the female death row was moved to Lowell Annex. The Broward Correctional Institution served as a reception center for female inmates. As of 2011, a staff of approximately 272 individuals serviced the facility. As of 2012 624 prisoners, all female, were housed there. The facility was closed in 2012. Closure was scheduled for May 1 of that year. The Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel said "BCI was determined to have a relatively low population and a high per diem inmate cost of $111.48." ($116.87 when adjusted for inflation)
- "Broward Correctional Institution." Florida Department of Corrections. April 14, 2012. Retrieved on April 21, 2013. "20421 Sheridan Street Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33332-2300"
- "Country Estates CDP, Florida." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 8, 2010.
- "Region IV - Correctional Facility Office." Florida Department of Corrections. Retrieved on January 8, 2010.
- "Death Row Fact Sheet." Florida Department of Corrections. February 3, 2001. Retrieved on August 31, 2010.
- Trischitta, Linda, Ariel Barkhurst and Kathleen Haughney. "Broward women's prison to close May 1." Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel. January 12, 2012. Retrieved on April 21, 2013.
- "Broward Correctional Institution." Florida Department of Corrections. Retrieved on August 31, 2010.
- "Prison closings are a mixed bag, but mostly good". Highlands Today (Media General Communications Holdings, LLC.). 2012-01-16. Retrieved 2012-08-24.