Brown Deer, Wisconsin
|Brown Deer, Wisconsin|
|— Village —|
|• Total||4.40 sq mi (11.40 km2)|
|• Land||4.40 sq mi (11.40 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||692 ft (211 m)|
|• Estimate (2011)||12,061|
|• Density||2,727.0/sq mi (1,052.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1562261|
Brown Deer is a village in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, United States. As a suburb of Milwaukee, it is part of the Milwaukee metropolitan area. The population was 11,999 at the 2010 census. The village incorporated on January 20, 1955 from a portion of the former town of Granville.
Brown Deer is located at (43.172858, -87.977899).
As of 2000 the median income for a household in the village was $61,097. The per capita income for the village was $28,525. About 5.8% people of all ages live below the poverty line. The median value of owner occupied housing units was $175,600.
2010 census 
As of the census of 2010, there were 11,999 people, 5,275 households, and 3,199 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,729.5 people per square mile (1,694.5/km²). There were 5,579 housing units at an average density of 1,267.95 per square mile (787.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 61.9% White, 28.6% African American, 0.04% Native American, 4.9% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.01% from other races, and 3.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.9% of the population.
There were 5,275 households out of which 26.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.5% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.4% were non-families. 33.7% of all households were made up of individuals living alone and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.27 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the village the population was spread out with 20.9% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 12.8% from 25 to 34, 20.7% from 35 to 49, 21.5% from 50-64, and 16.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41.8 years. 52% of the population was female and 48% was male.
- Dean Elementary School is located on N. 55th Street. It serves kindergarten through 4th grade.
- Brown Deer Middle School is located on N. 60th Street. It serves 5th through 8th grades.
- Brown Deer High School is located on N. 60th Street. Enrollment is about 700 students in grades 9 through 12.
Algonquin Elementary School was formerly located on N. 47th Street. It served kindergarten through 2nd grade until it was closed.
Notable residents 
- Dan Harmon, executive producer of the NBC comedy, Community
- Steve Novak, NBA Basketball Player for the New York Knicks
- B. Reith, Christian hip hop artist and singer/songwriter, signed with Gotee Records
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "VILLAGE HISTORY", from the Village of Brown Deer, Wisconsin website
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Great schools