Brown Sugar Macchiato
|Brown Sugar Macchiato|
|Also known as||黑糖瑪奇朵
Hēi Táng Mǎ Qí Duǒ
|Genre||School, Comedy, Drama, Romance|
|Written by||Su Da Yi / Wu Wei Jun / Zhang Wan Ni|
|Directed by||Mingtai Wang (王明台) / Chen Yi Xian / Lian Shu Xian|
Emma Wu(Gui Gui)
|Opening theme||"黑糖秀"(Hei Tang Xiu) by Lollipop and Hey Girl|
|Ending theme||"愛情瑪奇朵" (Ai Qing Ma Qi Duo) by Lollipop|
|Country of origin||Republic of China, (Taiwan)|
|No. of episodes||13
20 (DVD edition)
|Producer(s)||Lian Shu Xian / An Jing Hong|
|Cinematography||Huang Fengming (黃峰銘)|
|Running time||approx. 70 minutes (Sundays at 21:30)|
|Original channel||Formosa TV (FTV)|
|Original run||15 July 2007– 7 October 2007|
|Related shows||The Legend of Brown Sugar Chivalries (黑糖群俠傳)|
|STAR Chinese Channel Website|
Brown Sugar Macchiato (Chinese: 黑糖瑪奇朵; pinyin: Hēi Táng Mǎ Qí Duǒ) is a Taiwanese drama starring members of Taiwanese music groups, Lollipop and Hey Girl. It was first broadcast in Taiwan on free-to-air Formosa TV (FTV) from 15 July 2007 to 7 October 2007 and cable TV STAR Chinese Channel. It was also broadcast in China on Xing Kong.
Six boys with different personalities and backgrounds are notified that they share the same father. On top of that, they are entitled to a huge inheritance. However, there is only one catch: they must attend the same school and live together in the same house for a year. In the end, they become from total strangers to close brothers, as well as making themselves adaptable to the changes in their life.
However, the six brothers not only have to deal with their uneasiness and dislike for one another, but also everything the ten mean girls (Da Ya, Gui Gui, Ya Tou, Tong Tong, Xiao Xun, Xiao Man, Apple, Mei Mei, Xiao Jie and Ke En) would do to make their school days a living hell for them. Unknown to the other nine girls, Ya Tou is actually the housekeeper of the brothers' mansion.
To add to their stress, someone is after their inheritance, trying to make them break their contract, and is sending people to their school to do so. Meanwhile, love blossoms among the brothers and their classmates.
- Lollipop as Ao Quan (Chinese: 敖犬; pinyin: Áo Quǎn) - The eldest brother and leader of the brotherhood. Cool, athletic, funny, and responsible. He usually acts as spokesperson for the younger brothers. Ao Quan became the class president after he outdid Tong Tong for the boys' justice, but later lost it to Xiao Ma in an election. When Xiao Ma returned to America, his position as class president was returned.
He dates the spokesperson for the girls in their class, Da Ya. They separated shortly after she found out about his true relationship to his brothers and Ya Tou, but reunited on Ya Tou's birthday.
- Prince as Wang Zi (Chinese: 王子; pinyin: Wáng Zǐ) - The second brother. Calm, smart, and elegant. He tends to act cold in front of everybody. Sometimes, he would take the lead for his brothers when Ao Quan is in a bind, and sometimes he is the cook of the family.
He takes admiration in Xiao Xun, who shares his personalities and intelligence, but ends up dating the mischievous Gui Gui, who won his heart by staying beside him. He first confesses his feelings when he and Ya Tou are led to believe that Gui Gui had cancer, which turned out to be a mistaken report.
- Fabien as Xiao Yu (Chinese: 小煜; pinyin: Xiǎo Yù) - The third brother. His passion for music is the only thing that matters to him, and is a leading member of the music band "B-Cool". Of all the brothers, he is the only one who is in no interest of inheriting his father's money. But after some bonding with his brothers, he becomes willing to help them out.
He has a crush on the class' smartest girl, Xiao Xun, but she despises him for his ignorance. At the same time, he becomes friends with another girl named Mei Mei. After he "saves" Xiao Xun from a gang of mobsters, her heart is won by him.
- LilJay as Xiao Jie (Chinese: 小傑; pinyin: Xiǎo Jié) - The fourth brother. Sporty and athletic. He lost his memory at one point in the story in a rollerskating contest, but eventually recovers.
He has a crush on their housekeeper, Ya Tou, and always fights with A-Wei for her affection. But in the end, he ends up becoming a couple with the clumsy Xiao Jie when she confesses to him. Their names often cause confusions in their class.
- William as Wei Lian (Chinese: 威廉; pinyin: Wēi Lián) - The fifth brother. Naïve and kind, but lacks brain cells. His hobby involves bicycling.
Wei Lian has a crush on Rong Jia, who is one older year than he is. Though she looks at him as a little brother at first, he eventually wins her heart with his naivety and pure goodness.
- Wayne as A-Wei (Chinese: 阿緯; pinyin: Ā Wěi) - The youngest brother. Dancer and energetic. Hip-hop is his favorite. Of all the brothers, he is the most nonexistent one.
Because he and Xiao Jie have a crush on their housekeeper, Ya Tou, they would constantly fight for her heart. He usually pays more attention to Ya Tou even when he is among beautiful girls and is usually more helpful to her than the other brothers. After Xiao Jie began a relationship with Xiao Jie (a girl student), he seizes his chance to confess to Ya Tou.
Girl Classmates (The Ten Sisters)
- Julie Cai as Tong Tong (Chinese: 彤彤; pinyin: Tóng Tóng) - The former class president of Class 206. She lost her position to Ao Quan due to a misunderstanding that led to a scandal before it was cleared up. She always acts tough in front of boys and acts as the girls' leader. Her best friend in the sisterhood is Mei Mei.
She once dated a cool schoolmate named Xiao Ma, but their relationship ended after she found out he was using her for his tricks against the brothers.
- Da Ya as Da Ya (Chinese: 大牙; pinyin: Dà Yá) - The voice of reason. Strong, tough and righteous. She tends to think logical and fair for everybody else.
After spending time with Ao Quan, they fall in love. She is the first (after Gui Gui) to find out about the brothers' relationship and contract agreements after she overhears Ao Quan and William talking about it. She was furious to find out the truth the hard way and broke up with Ao Quan. However, they reconcile after a while.
- Emma Wu(Gui Gui) as Gui Gui (Chinese: 鬼鬼; pinyin: Guǐ Guǐ) - The most mischievous girl in the class. She can do tricks most people usually cannot. Of all the girls in class, she is the only one who knows of Ya Tou's secret identity and her relation to the brothers.
She has been in love with Wang Zi since their first encounter. She was mistaken to have cancer when the health care center accidentally switched her results with another man. It was through this experience that Wang Zi confesses his feelings to her and they become a couple.
- Yako as Ya Tou (Chinese: 丫頭; pinyin: Yā Tóu) - The brothers' housekeeper. Kind and hardworking but clumsy. No one other than Gui Gui knows of her identity. The brothers' father took her in when she lost touch with her mother as a kid. Whenever things get messy, she uses her voice to get the brothers in order.
She is the subject of A-Wei and Xiao Jie's crush. A-Wei confessed to her in the final episode, and though she did not respond, her expression was clear that she had thoughts about accepting him.
- Mei Mei as Mei Mei - Tong Tong's best friend. Shy, but selfless and energetic.
She has a crush on musician Xiao Yu, but because he likes Xiao Xun, she is torn between happiness and sorrow. In the end, she decides to let him go and help them get together, and is finally able to move on. Aside from being her friend, she is also his supportive manager.
- Albee as Xiao Xun (Chinese: 小薰; pinyin: Xiǎo Xūn) - The smartest girl in the class. Her personality resembles much of Wang Zi's, and because of that, they often spend time together.
Xiao Yu, like many boys in school, has a major crush on her, which prevents him from falling for Mei Mei. Though she did not like Xiao Yu at first, she begins to have a change of heart after he "saved" her from a bunch of mobsters. After that, she and Xiao Yu are selected to participate in a contest, which later turns out to be from the year before. During the time they practiced, Xiao Xun's feelings for Xiao Yu change gradually and they become a couple.
- Mini as Xiao Jie (Chinese: 筱捷; pinyin: Xiǎo Jié) - A real klutz and bad at everything she does. She was once selected for a rollerskating competition, but because she couldn't harness even the easiest tricks, she has the fourth brother, Xiao Jie, take her place instead.
Ever since then, she has had a crush on him, which she reveals in the final episode and the two of them end up dating. Their names would often cause confusions.
- Apple as Apple - Rich and fun-loving, she is Da Ya's closest friend. In the final episodes, her family has evoked in a financial crisis, and she is forced to work to pay for her father's debt. When Da Ya finds out about this, she decides to help her out.
- Chanel as Xiao Man (Chinese: 小蠻; pinyin: Xiǎo Mán) - The resident fortune-teller in their class. She brings her Tarot cards wherever she goes, and her prediction is always correct.
- Ke En as Ke En (Chinese: 可恩; pinyin: Kě Ēn) - A girl student in their class. Of all the sisters, she has the fewest lines and the least screen time.
The Other Boys
- Shawn as Xiao Ma (Chinese: 小馬; pinyin: Xiǎo Mǎ) - The new boy transferred to the brothers' school. Tough, athletic and aggressive. He was sent by his father to make the brothers unwittingly break their contract so that they could take their money. His devilish plots are partly based on his jealousy of the brothers' relationship. After everyone found out about his intention, he returns to America against his father's wishes.
Xiao Ma started a relationship with former class monitress, Tong Tong, soon after he came to their school. However, their relationship ends after she found out that he used her to break the brothers' contract.
- Peter as Li Quan (Chinese: 李銓; pinyin: Lǐ Quán) - The new boy transferred to the brothers' school. Kindhearted and secretive. Everybody in class likes him. Because he always walks away when he is on the phone, Wang Zi and some of the other brothers have suspected that he might not be as good as he looks. The brothers' suspicion is proven wrong when he transferred to South Africa.
- Xu Feng as Xu Feng (Chinese: 旭風; pinyin: Xù Fēng) - A boy student in their class.
- Anthony as An Dong Ni (安東尼) - A boy student in their class.
- Jun Han as Jun Han (俊翰) - A boy student in their class.
- Yan Shuai as Yan Shuai (顏帥) - A boy student in their class.
- Guo Zi Qian (Chinese: 郭子乾) as the boys' father - He was an adventurous, highly-accomplished, wealthy man, who had traveled all over the world and met different women. This was how he had the boys and never told one another about their brotherhood. When he got sick, he gathered all his sons and told them they could inherit his money if they would fulfill the conditions of his contract.
- Li Xing Wen (Chinese: 李興文) as father's lawyer - The main antagonist.
- Andy Zhang (Chinese: 張世明) as Andy Ge - The boys' father's assistant who came to their school in times of need.
- Candice Liu （Chinese: 刘容嘉） as Senior Rong Jia - Rong Jia is Mei Mei's cousin and a part-time worker at an auto shop. She had a crush on Wang Zi, who turned her down after he found out. She was aware of William's crush on her, but because she lacks romantic feelings to him, she turned him down. Later, his naive yet kind personality got to her heart and she decided to accept him.
- Na Dou (Chinese: 納豆) as Homeroom teacher, Na Dou - Pathetic and funny, he serves as a comic relief character. Cares for his students, but is wholly unqualified and lacks the knowledge and discipline needed of a good teacher.
- Miao Ke Li (Chinese: 苗可麗) as Principal
- Xiao Xiang (Chinese: 小香) as Gym teacher
- Lin Mei Zhao (Chinese: 林美照) as Ya Tou Mama - Ya Tou's mother. She handed Ya Tou in the brothers' care in order to protect her. She remained missing in most of Ya Tou's life until they reunited on her 17th birthday.
- Akemi as father's assistant, Akemi - She was the one who gathered the boys to the same place and let the lawyer introduce them to each other.
- Kenji Wu (吴克群) as himself - He makes an appearance during Xiao Yu's competition to encourage him to pursue his dream to become a musician when he suddenly wanted to give up due to his stress.
- Li Qian Rong as English teacher, Miranda - She was sent by the brothers' enemy to make them fail English test and take their father's money into his hands. She did not sign up freely, rather she was forced to do so in order to help her catatonic mother. She resigns her job after she got help from the brothers' father. She ends up dating homeroom teacher, Na Dou.
- Lin You Li as Tian Tian (甜甜) - Father's personal nurse, who was also a former model. She was sent to the brothers to take care of the amnesiac Xiao Jie while helping Ya Tou do with housework. Her beautiful looks and perfect domestic skills often drag attention from the brothers, which disheartens Ya Tou. Tian Tian herself is also aware of this, and feels bad for her. She resigns from her job after their father ordered her to return, but not before encouraging Ya Tou to keep being the brothers' housekeeper.
- Monkey as mail man
- Hakka-Pac (各派克) as Bystander #2
|Brown Sugar Macchiato|
|Soundtrack album by Lollipop and Hey Girl|
|Released||August 31, 2007|
|Label||EMI Music Taiwan|
Brown Sugar Macchiato Original TV Drama Soundtrack (CD+DVD) (黑糖瑪奇朵 偶像劇原聲帶) was released on August 31, 2007 by Lollipop and Hey Girl under EMI Music Taiwan. It contains fifteen songs, in which ten songs are various instrumental versions of the five original songs. The album also includes a DVD. The opening theme song is "Hei Tang Xiu" or "Brown Sugar PK Show" by Lollipop and Hey Girl, while the ending theme song is by Lollipop entitled "Ai Qing Ma Qi Duo" or "Love Macchiato".
|1.||"Brown Sugar Variation" (黑糖變奏 Intro inst.)|
|2.||"Brown Sugar PK Show" (黑糖秀 Hei Tang Xiu)||Lollipop and Hey Girl|
|3.||"Bitter Sweet Guitar" (苦茶七分甜 inst.)|
|4.||"Concerto of Macchiato" (微酸協奏曲 inst.)|
|5.||"Love Macchiato" (愛情瑪奇朵 Ai Qing Ma Qi Duo)||Lollipop|
|6.||"Crystal Macchiato" (水晶瑪琪朵 inst.)|
|7.||"Charm of Brown Sugar" (黑糖放電 inst.)|
|8.||"Hello Breeze of Love" (Hello愛情風 insert song)||Hey Girl|
|9.||"Crystal Tea" (晶凍苦茶 inst.)|
|10.||"Rockin' Love" (搖滾吧！愛情 inst.)|
|11.||"Crazy Love Bozo" (暴走豬頭 inst.)|
|12.||"Love Bozo" (大豬頭 insert song)||Lollipop|
|13.||"Comic Bozo" (甘草豬頭 inst.)|
|14.||"Macchiato Sonata" (瑪琪朵奏嗚曲 inst.)|
|15.||"Bitter Sweet" (苦茶 insert song)||Lollipop and Hey Girl|
|1.||"Brown Sugar drama highlights"|
|2.||"A day in the life of Brown Sugar Macchiato"|
|3.||"Brown Sugar Macchiato Interview"|
|4.||"Brown Sugar Macchiato - Lollipop adventure"|
|5.||"Brown Sugar PK Show music video" (黑糖秀 Hei Tang Xiu MV)|
|6.||"Love Macchiato music video" (愛情瑪奇朵 MV)|
|7.||"Love Bozo music video" (大豬頭 MV)|
- Producer: Lian Shu Xian / An Jing Hong
- Director: Mingtai Wang (王明台) / Chen Yi Xian / Lian Shu Xian
- Screenwriter: Su Da Yi / Wu Wei Jun / Zhang Wan Ni
- (Chinese) 強檔偶像劇 「黑糖瑪奇朵」首映 13 July 2007. Retrieved 2010-12-15
- Brown Sugar Macchiato Original soundtrack album info.Yesasia. 6 September 2007. Retrieved 2010-12-15