|New York Yankees|
November 18, 1985 |
San Diego, California
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|May 27, 2011 for the Colorado Rockies|
|Earned run average||10.29|
Bruce Billings (born November 18, 1985) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has also played in MLB for the Colorado Rockies and Oakland Athletics.
Early life and college
Billings is the son of Bruce and Emily. Billings attended the San Diego School of Creative and Performing Arts (SDSCPA) and Samuel F. B. Morse High School and San Diego State University who played for the SDSU baseball team as a short reliever in 2004 and a starter in 2005 and 2006. Billings was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 2006 MLB June Amateur Draft in the 31st round, but decided to stay one more year at San Diego State. Billings was again drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 30th round in the 2007 MLB June Amateur Draft, 912th overall, and he accepted the deal.
Billings started his minor league career with the Tri-City Dust Devils where he went 4-2 in 15 starts. In 2008 with the Asheville Tourists, Billings threw a no-hitter against the Lakewood BlueClaws. Billings started to convert to a reliever in 2010 with Tulsa with more than half of his appearances being in relief. Billings was also a mid-season All Star with Tulsa. Billings did not pitch one start in 2011 with Colorado Springs before being promoted.
On May 27, Billings made his major league debut in relief of Matt Daley. Billings pitched the 8th and the 9th innings in a 10-3 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals, giving up 5 hits and 1 run, while recording no strikeouts.
New York Yankees
- "Bruce Billings Bio - San Diego State Official Athletic Site". goaztecs.cstv.com. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- "Bruce Billings Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com". baseball-reference.com. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- Renck, Troy (May 25, 2011). "Rockies call up pitcher Bruce Billings, Juan Nicasio likely too". Denver Post. Retrieved May 26, 2011.
- Martin, Andrew (May 27, 2011). "Bruce Billings Not Awful in MLB Debut; Everyone Else Was". Purple Row. Retrieved May 28, 2011.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben. "Rockies Acquire Mark Ellis". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved June 30, 2011.
- Rosengrant, Dave (April 2, 2014). "Newcomer Billings to start opener in Syracuse". The Times Leader.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- San Diego State Aztecs bio