Bruce Cameron (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Aberdeen and Orkney|
|Diocese||Aberdeen and Orkney|
|Predecessor||Frederick Charles Darwent|
|Successor||Robert (Bob) Gillies|
|Other posts||Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church|
|Birth name||Andrew Bruce Cameron|
2 May 1941 |
|Denomination||Scottish Episcopal Church|
|Parents||Andrew Macintyre Cameron and Helen Adam McKechnie|
|Spouse||Elaine Cameron, née Gingles|
Cameron was born on 2 May 1941 in Glasgow, Scotland. He is the son of Andrew Macintyre Cameron and Helen Adam McKechnie. His brother, Douglas Maclean Cameron, was the Bishop of Argyll and the Isles from 1993 to 2006.
Cameron was educated at Edinburgh Theological College between 1961 and 1964. After graduation he was ordained a deacon in 1964 and a priest in 1965. He first served as curate at St Michael's and All Angels' Church, Helensburgh in Argyll and Bute, from 1964 to 1967. He was then posted to another curacy at Holy Cross Church, Edinburgh from 1967 to 1970.
Cameron's quick advance in the church led him to become chaplain at St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh from 1971 to 1975. During this period he was the diocesan and provincial youth chaplain. Between 1975 and 1982, he was rector of St Mary's Church in Dalmahoy, followed by Team Minister in Livingston from 1982 to 1988 and then the rector of St John's Church in Perth from 1988 to 1992.
At the meeting of the Primates of the Anglican Communion in February 2005, Cameron presented a summary of the worldwide responses to the Windsor Report on preserving the communion in the face of differences of opinion on sexuality.
Cameron stepped down as Primus in April 2006 and retired as Bishop of Aberdeen and Orkney at the end of June 2006. He is married to Elaine (née Gingles) and they have two sons. Following his retirement, he served as an assistant bishop in the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Virginia of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America for several months in 2008.
- "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 2 May 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2014. "Rt Rev Bruce Cameron, Primus of the Episcopal Church in Scotland, 2000–06, and Bishop of Aberdeen and Orkney, 1992–2006, 72"
- Crockford's Clerical Directory, 100th edition, (2007), Church House Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- Bertie, David M. (2000). Scottish Episcopal Clergy, 1689-2000. Edinburgh: T & T Clark. p. 201. ISBN 0-567-08746-8.
- Presentation to the Anglican Primates. Retrieved on 4 December 2008.
- International guests bring global context to Jefferts Schori's investiture. Retrieved on 4 December 2008.
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Bishop of Aberdeen and Orkney
Robert (Bob) Gillies
|Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church