Sir Bruce Reid Ferguson
KNZM OBE AFC RNZAF
|Born||14 July 1949 (age 64)
Napier, New Zealand
|Service/branch||Royal New Zealand Air Force|
|Years of service||1969–2006|
Air Marshal Sir Bruce Reid Ferguson KNZM OBE AFC RNZAF (born 14 July 1949) is the former Chief of New Zealand Defence Force and Director of Government Communications Security Bureau. He took up the appointment when the previous Director Dr. Warren Tucker, took up his new role as Director of Security Intelligence Service on 1 November 2006. Ferguson's term of appointment was for four years, stepping down from the role in 2011.
Previous to this he was the acting director of the New Zealand Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management, after he retired earlier in 2006 from a distinguished military career which culminated in four years as the New Zealand Chief of Defence Force.
List of education and training qualifications
- 1970 - Graduated as RNZAF pilot
- 1989 - Graduated USAF Air War College
- 1995 - Graduated Royal College of Defence Studies
- 2000 - Graduated Ashridge Senior Executive Management Course
- 2001 - Senior Fellow, Asia Pacific Strategic Studies College
- 2006 - Distinguished Fellow of the Institute for Strategic Leadership
List of career highlights and achievements
- 1969-73 - Pilot training/operational flying
- 1973-82 - Flying instructor/Commander, Search and Rescue detachment/operational flying
- 1982-84 - Commanding officer, Central Flying School
- 1984-86 - Staff officer to Chief of the Air Staff
- 1986-88 - Director, Air Force Personnel/USAF Air War College
- 1989-91 - Officer Commanding, RNZAF Operations Wing
- 1991-95 - Commander, RNZAF Base Auckland/Royal College of Defence Studies
- 1995-97 - Chief of Air Force Personnel
- 1997-2001 - Assistant Chief of Defence Force (Personnel)
- 2001-2006 - Chief of Defence Force
- 2006-2006 - Acting Director, Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management (MCDEM)
- 2006-2011 - Director, Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB)
List of awards
- 1977 - Queen's Commendation for Valuable Services in the Air
- 1984 - Air Force Cross
- 1994 - Officer of the Order of the British Empire
- 2006 - Darjah Utama Bakti Cemerlang (Tentera) (Distinguished Service Order) (Singapore)
- 2006 - Distinguished Companion of The New Zealand Order of Merit
- 2009 - DCNZM redesignated as Knight Companion of The New Zealand Order of Merit effective 5 June 2006'.
- , Prime Minister's Press Release - New Director of Government Communications Security Bureau.
- "The Queen's Birthday Honours 2006" (9 June 2006) 54 New Zealand Gazette 1341.
- Special Honours List (12 August 2009) 118 New Zealand Gazette 2691
- Gibson, Nevil (1 August 2009). "Arise Sir... or Dame... for 70 on honours list". National Business Review. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
|Chief of the New Zealand Defence Force
2001 – 2006
|Director of the Government Communications Security Bureau
2006 – 2011