|Bruce A. McPherson|
|30th Secretary of State of California|
March 30, 2005 – January 7, 2007
|Preceded by||Cathy Mitchell|
|Succeeded by||Debra Bowen|
January 7, 1944 |
Santa Cruz, California
|Republican (until June 2012)|
Bruce A. McPherson (born January 7, 1944) is a California politician who was the 30th California Secretary of State, sworn in March 30, 2005. He was nominated to replace former Secretary of State Kevin Shelley, who resigned on March 4. McPherson, a Republican from Santa Cruz County, served his term as Secretary until January 8, 2007. He was confirmed unanimously by both Democratic-controlled houses of the California State Legislature after being nominated to replace Shelley, a Democrat, by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. He lost his bid for a full term to Democrat Debra Bowen in November 2006.
Previously, McPherson was a State Assemblyman from 1993 to 1996 and a State Senator from 1996 to 2004, when he retired due to term limits. McPherson was defeated in the 2002 election for Lieutenant Governor of California by incumbent Cruz Bustamante. Prior to his political career, he worked as the editor of the Santa Cruz Sentinel, a newspaper owned by his family. He and his wife have a daughter, Tori Kistler. Their son, Hunter, was murdered in a 2001 San Francisco street robbery.
McPherson left the Republican Party in June 2012 to register as "no party preference".
In November 2012, McPherson was elected to the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors.
- 1996 Race for California State Senate, 15th District
- Bruce McPherson (R), 47.2%
- Rusty Areias (D), 45.8%
- 2002 Republican Primary for California Lt. Governor
- Bruce McPherson (R), 86.2%
- Ellie Michaels (R), 13.8%
- 2002 Race for California Lt. Governor
- Cruz Bustamante (D), (inc) 49.4%
- Bruce McPherson (R), 41.8%
- 2006 Race for California Secretary of State
- Debra Bowen (D), 48.4%
- Bruce McPherson (R), (inc.) 44.8%
- 2012 Race for Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors, District 5
- Bruce McPherson (N/P) 50.10%%
- Eric Hammer (N/P), 49.51%
- Skelton, George (June 25, 2012). "California GOP sinking into third-party status". Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Jaxon Van Derbeken, Murder verdict in case of state nominee's slain son, San Francisco Chronicle (March 3, 2005).
- Santa Cruz County Registrar of Voters, Santa Cruz County - Presidential General Election, Santa Cruz County Registrar of Voters (December 4, 2012).
- Biography from the State of California (May 2, 2006 version at the Internet Archive)
- Biography from the California League of Women Voters
- McPherson's 2006 campaign website (April 25, 2006 version at the Internet Archive)
- Man Found Guilty in Death of McPherson’s Son, Sac Union
|California State Assemblyman
Henry J. Mello
|California State Senator
|California Secretary of State