Bruce Reed (mathematician)
Reed earned his Ph.D. in 1986 from McGill, under the supervision of Vašek Chvátal. Before returning to McGill as a Canada Research Chair, Reed held positions at the University of Waterloo, Carnegie Mellon University, and the French National Centre for Scientific Research.
Reed's thesis research concerned perfect graphs. With Michael Molloy, he is the author of a book on graph coloring and the probabilistic method. Reed has also published highly cited papers on the giant component in random graphs with a given degree sequence, random satisfiability problems, acyclic coloring, tree decomposition, and constructive versions of the Lovász local lemma.
- Alon, Noga; McDiarmid, Colin; Reed, Bruce (1991), "Acyclic coloring of graphs", Random Structures & Algorithms 2 (3): 277–288, doi:10.1002/rsa.3240020303, MR 1109695.
- Chvátal, V.; Reed, B. (1992), "Mick gets some (the odds are on his side)", Proc. 33rd Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 620–627, doi:10.1109/SFCS.1992.267789.
- Reed, Bruce A. (1992), "Finding approximate separators and computing tree width quickly", Proc. 24th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of computing, pp. 221–228, doi:10.1145/129712.129734.
- Molloy, Michael; Reed, Bruce (1995), "A critical point for random graphs with a given degree sequence", Random Structures & Algorithms 6 (2-3): 161–179, doi:10.1002/rsa.3240060204, MR 1370952.
- Reed, B. A. (1997), "Tree width and tangles: a new connectivity measure and some applications", Surveys in combinatorics, 1997 (London), London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Ser. 241, Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, pp. 87–162, doi:10.1017/CBO9780511662119.006, MR 1477746.
- Molloy, Michael; Reed, Bruce (1998a), "The size of the giant component of a random graph with a given degree sequence", Combinatorics, Probability and Computing 7 (3): 295–305, doi:10.1017/S0963548398003526, MR 1664335.
- Molloy, Michael; Reed, Bruce (1998b), "Further algorithmic aspects of the local lemma", Proc. 30th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of computing, pp. 524–529, doi:10.1145/276698.276866.
- Molloy, Michael; Reed, Bruce (2002), Graph Colouring and the Probabilistic Method, Algorithms and Combinatorics 23, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, ISBN 3-540-42139-4, MR 1869439.
- Chairholders: Bruce A. Reed, Canada Research Chairs, retrieved 2012-10-07.
- Bruce Reed (mathematician) at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Past members, Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences, retrieved 2012-10-07.
- "Three McGill researchers elected RSC Fellows", McGill Reporter, October 1, 2009
- Bruce Reed announced as 2013 CRM/Fields/PIMS Prize recipient, Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences, retrieved 2012-12-30.
- Kayll, P. Mark (2003). Graph Colouring and the Probabilistic Method. Mathematical Reviews, MR 1869439.
- Molloy and Reed (1995, 1998a)
- Chvátal & Reed (1992).
- Alon, McDiarmid & Reed (1991).
- Reed (1992, 1997).
- Molloy & Reed (1998b).