Relations has been established since 2 April 1984. Brunei and Japan had a long close and friendly ties especially in economic with Brunei heavily relies on Japan for imports such as motor vehicles, construction equipment, electronic goods and household appliances which dominate the Bruneian market.
Several agreements such as the Japan–Brunei Economic Partnership and avoidance of tax has been signed. In oil and gas industry, over 82% Bruneian liquefied natural gas (LNG) were sold to Japan and Brunei provides over 5 million tons of the LNG per year to three Japanese utilities. Japanese companies have been active in investing in Brunei and were planning on new projects in other areas such as on petrochemicals and halal food. Both countries also seek cooperation in the field of renewable energy and in energy saving, and keen to expand relations in education, agriculture and health.
In security, the Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe has said that Japan would exert every effort toward the success of multilateral exercises under the ASEAN Defense Ministers Meeting Plus which been held in Brunei on 2013. Both Brunei and Japan also had verified that they would continue strengthening cooperative relations in the fields of disaster relief and maritime security.
- Japan-Brunei Relations Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Japan)
- Call for closer Brunei, Japan ties The Brunei Times
- SULTAN, JAPANESE PM UNVEIL SYMBOLIC LOGO BruDirect
- Celebrating 25th anniversary of Japan-Brunei diplomatic ties Borneo Bulletin
- "Brunei-Japan Relations". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Brunei). Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Brunei-Japan Trade Relations". RTB. 23 February 2013. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Japan-Brunei Economic Partnership Agreement". Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Japan). Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "AGREEMENT BETWEEN JAPAN AND BRUNEI DARUSSALAM FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBLE TAXATION AND THE PREVENTION OF FISCAL EVASION WITH RESPECT TO TAXES ON INCOME" (PDF). Ministry of Finance (Japan). Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- J.T. Quigley (16 January 2014). "Kenichi Suganuma". The Diplomat. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Nabilah Haris (15 December 2013). "Brunei seeks tie-up with Japan in renewable energy". The Brunei Times. asiaone. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Brunei and Japan uphold strong relations". The Borneo Post. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Japan-Brunei Summit Meeting". Prime Minister of Japan and His Cabinet. 13 May 2013. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Japan, Brunei vow to enhance ties, cooperation". Xinhua News Agency. Global Times. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Arno Maierbrugger (15 December 2013). "Japan, Brunei vow to enhance cooperation". Investvine. Retrieved 16 February 2014.