||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (March 2012)|
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2012)|
February 24, 1968 |
|Occupation||Multimedia artist/film maker|
Bruno Aveillan (born in Toulouse, France) is a film maker, a photographer and a multimedia artist.
Bruno Aveillan is one of the most distinguished and internationally sought after directors across the globe in the communication art industry. After graduating from Ecole Supérieure des Beaux Arts in Toulouse, he joined Quad Productions in Paris in 1995. Since then, he has directed award-winning short experimental movies and international commercials for clients such as Orange, Lanvin, Perrier, Louis Vuitton, Audi, Nike, Paco Rabanne, Quézac, Lexus, Guerlain, Rochas, Jaguar, Samsung, Nissan, SFR, Chanel, Time Warner, Volvo, MaxMara, Miller, Nintendo, Coca Cola, Toyota, Peugeot etc.
One of his very early spots in his directing career, Perrier "La Foule", received an avalanche of international awards. In 1999, succeeding the directors Lars von Trier and Roland Joffé, Bruno Aveillan directed the new episode in the advertising sage for CNP. Additionally, he directed the launch commercial for Lanvin perfume "Oxygène". It is during this spot that Gisele Bündchen makes her debut on screen. During his career Bruno Aveillan has also filmed world renowned stars such as Monica Bellucci, Rachel Weisz, Freida Pinto, Natalia Vodianova, Claudia Schiffer, Shalom Harlow, Amy Smart, Tina Balthazar, Sharon Stone, Catherine Hurley, Milla Jovovich, Leila Bekhti, Jessica Stam, Inna Zobova, Louise Pedersen, Julia Stegner, Estelle Lefébure, Elsa Benitez, Mylène Farmer, Morgane Dubled, Vlada Roslyakova, Sunniva Stordahl, Virginie Ledoyen, etc.
Aveillan has also directed a series of commercials for Thermasilk in which he has created and captured a unique dream and poetic world. His spot for Nissan-Infinity "Athem" was presented during the premiere of the 2002 Oscar ceremony. Alongside Martin Scorsese and Oliver Stone, Aveillan has directed four commercials for the launch of the brand Orange. He has worked in collaboration with the Land Artist Nils Udo to create unique visual worlds for the perfume Mahora from Guerlain. In 2006, he also worked with fashion designer Olivier Theyskens for the launch of the new Rochas Fragrance (Starring Model Jessica Stam).
His famous commercial for Magnum, "5 senses", was directed in an experimental manner and has received international acclaim (including European Effie Award).
In 2008, Aveillan directed the first ever brand campaign for Louis Vuitton: "Where will life take you" (90" format, translated into 14 languages). This spot evokes "the soul of travel". It has received 14 international awards including 2008 Gold Clio Award, Gold Award at the 2008 London International Awards, Epica, Cristal. The music was composed by Gustavo Santaolalla.
In 2010, he shot the campaign for Shangri-La that metaphorically presents a philosophy imbued by generosity and humanism. This spot and tells the story of a man who has been adopted and saved by wolves. In 2011, Swarovski enlisted directly Aveillan to create a cinema short movie that would conjure Swarovski’s more than one-hundred-year heritage on the big screen.
In beginning of 2012, the House of Cartier announced the international release of its new "L'Odyssee de Cartier,” a three-and-one-half minute film directed by Bruno Aveillan. The short film, which chronicles Cartier's 165 year history, was first screened at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York on 29 February 2012. This film has been seen by 180 million viewers around the globe and has received more than 40 gold awards, notably a Golden Lion in Cannes.
Bruno Aveillan is now developing a feature film project with Universal, a modern fairy tale based on the Cinderella story, with Ann Peacock as a writer.
Bruno Aveillan has won a multitude of awards and many of his visual signature have become a reference for cinematographic brilliance.
- From 1995 to 2013, the awards include: Gold Lion Cannes, AEAF, Gold Clio Awards, Golden Globe New York, Grand Prix Stratégie, Art Director Club (France, UK, Italy, Germany), Gold London International Awards, Gold AdFest, TV Gold ADDY's, Gold New York Festival, Toucan d'Or, Art & Technology award, EuroEffies, Ad Masters, European Film Cristal, Gold Eurobest, Ars Electronica, Gold Epica, Grand prix and Gold Mobius award, Gold Werbefilmpreis, Golden award of Montreux, Siggraph, Gold Spike Awards, etc.
- Bruno Aveillan is the only director who has twice won the Grand Prix Imagina award in 1998 (Perrier La Foule) and in 2003 (GDF Dolce Vita).
- 2000, "Best Director of the year" in France CB News magazine
- 2003, "Director on TOP" Boards magazine.
- 2004, he was classified among the five best French advertising film directors, (Lürzer'z Archive)
- 2005, The experimental film "MINOTAUR-EX" by Bruno Aveillan, with the Dance Company 'Cave Canem' received the prize of exceptional work and the Grand Prix of the public in the "Clays" Festival 2005. He was also jury finalist at the "Dance One Camera Festival 2007 of New York" and selected at the "Silverlake Festival of Los Angeles".
- 2009, he was classified among the three best French advertising film directors of the decade (Lürzer'z Archive)
- 2012, Aveillan received an Outstanding Merit Award at the Cristal Festival in Crans Montana
As a visual artist, Aveillan has developed his art in a singular, dense and syncretical manner, which encompasses experimental films and personal photographs. The central reoccurring themes of effacement, memory and the human body play a major role in his work. His art work has been frequently exhibited and has won many festival awards. Aveillan regularly collaborated with the choreographer Philippe Combes (Company Cave Canem) and directed several experimental short films on the subject of dance, gesture and the body. His film “Minotaur-Ex” with original music composed by Laurent Garnier, the project “Morpholab” with the composer Raphael Ibanez de Garayo. In 2008 and 20098, Aveillan had two large personal photographic exhibitions entitled “DIOTOPES #1 and DIOTOPES #2 at the Galerie Léo Scheer in Paris which included a 10 minute shortfilm (music by Raphael Ibanez de Garayo). A book dedicated to this work was published by Editions Léo Scheer in the collection “Janvier” that also represents the work of contemporary artists Claude Lévêque, Thomas Lélu and Edouard Levé. On his website, the publisher Léo Scheer commented, “ Like Doug Aikten, Bruno Aveillan is part of the generation of multimedia artists whose approach unveils a permanent quest for a diversifications of supports».
As a multimédia artist, Aveillan's body of work ranges from photography, experimental movies, video works, and installations. Aveillan's work has been featured in solo and group exhibitions.
- 2002, Parcours 21. Galerie Pin-up Paris.
- 2004, Autoportraits. Galerie Pin-up Paris.
- 2006, Silver Lake Film Festival. Los Angeles.
- 2007, DFA's 35th. Dance Film Association Inc. New York.
- 2007, Independent Film Show 2007. EM Arts Naples.
- 2007, Dance for the Camera. Film Society of Lincoln Center New York.
- 2007, Hustler of culture. Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs Chicago.
- 2007, DIAF 2007. International Arts Festival Dehli.
- 2007, ROMP !. Suddenly Dance Theatre Victoria BC.
- 2007, DKF Muranow. Wprost i Kultura Varsovie.
- 2009, 1968–2008, 40 ans de films publicitaires à la télévision. Musée des Arts Décoratifs Paris-Louvre.
- 2010, Parcours céramique - La scène française contemporaine. Musée des Arts Décoratifs Paris-Louvre.
- 2011, CUTLOG, International Contemporary Art Fair, Paris.
- 2011, THE OTHERS, International Contemporary Art Fair, Turin.
- 2012, OFF BRUSSELS, International Contemporary Art Fair, Brussels.
- 2012, CUTLOG, International Contemporary Art Fair, Paris.
- 2013, CUTLOG NYC, International Contemporary Art Fair, New York.
- 2013, CUTLOG, International Contemporary Art Fair, Paris.
- 2008, DIOTOPES. Galerie Léo Scheer Paris.
- 2008, DIOTOPES II. Galerie Léo Scheer, Paris.
- 2010, MNEMO#LUX. Camera Work Gallery, Berlin.
- 2011, FASCINATIO - FULGURATIO. Galerie spree, Paris.
- 2012, LUMIERES, IMPRESSIONS. Festival Visa Off, Perpignan (Guest Honnor).
- 2012, BOLSHOI UNDERGROUND. Galerie Spree, Paris.
- 2013, ACETATE SPIRIT. Galerie Spree, Paris.
- 2014, BOLSHOI UNDERGROUND & ALTRE STORIES. Galeria Centro Steccata, Milano.
- (English) ACETATE SPIRIT, Editions NOIR. ISBN 978-2-9546792-0-4
- (French) (English) BOLSHOI UNDERGROUD, Éditions Au-Delà du Raisonnable. Collection Les littératures visuelles. ISBN 978-2919174089
- (French) FASCINATIO, Editions Higgins
- (French) FULGURATIO, Editions Higgins
- (English) MNEMO#LUX, Kerber Ed., Collection PhotoArt. ISBN 978-3-86678-463-5
- (English) Diotopes, Léo Sheer Ed. . ISBN 978-2-7561-0131-6
- (French) Parcours 21, Studio Pin Up Ed.
- (English) Autoportraits, Studio Pin Up Ed.
- Kroll, Justin (2011-09-08). "U taps scribe for Cinderella rethink - Entertainment News, Film News, Media". Variety. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- (French) Gérard Lefort, « Apocalypse bulles », in Libération , January 4, 1998
- (French) Laurence Armengau, "B. Aveillan : l'idée c'est ce qui vieillit le moins vite", in CB News, June 22, 1998
- (French) C.L., "XS by Bruno Aveillan", in Elle, December 9, 1998
- (French) Gérard Leford, "Le rêve et la Ricoré", in Libération , May 8, 1999
- (English) Patricia Winters Lauro, "Thermasilk enters the realm of fairy tales, dragons and special effects", in The New York Times , May 8, 2000
- (English) Kathy Desalvo " Director Bruno Aveillan crafts Fantastic - and heated - story", in Shoot , May 18, 2001
- (English) Therese Balduzzi « Directors on Top : Bruno Aveillan », in Boards magazine , May 1, 2002
- (English) Anne Rose Schlutbohm "A whiff of perfume", in Archive, January 2004
- (French) M.P.« GDF : un savoir-faire révélé en beauté », in Le Figaro, May 3, 2004
- (English) Markus Albert "Sin and sensuality", in Archive, February 2005
- (English) Liza Klaussmann "Creatives on verge : Bruno Aveillan", in Variety, June 2006
- (English) Stephane Zissu "Zom Art : Bruno Aveillan", in Kromag[clarification needed] 04 , May 2007
- (English) Shots "AVEILLAN'S EMOTIONAL BAGGAGE", in Shots 6 February 2008 , 6 February 2008
- (French) Clément Ghis Louis Vuitton fait son cinéma, in Libération Next, 22 February 2008 
- (French) Jérome Beglé Culture Evènement : M. Farmer comme vous ne l'avez jamais vue, in Paris Match, 3 July 2008
- (English) Michael Kimmelman, Arts : In France Ads Aim at Heart..., in The New York Times, 18 February 2009 
- (English) Stephen Whelan, Fleetings Moments, in Shots # 113, February 2009 
- (English) Justin Kroll "U taps scribe for Cinderella rethink", in Variety, Sep 2011
- (Italian) Maddalena Fossati "Minuti preziosi", in Vanity Fair, March 2012
- (English) Gabriel Beltrone"Jewelry house storms three major networks in prime time with Bruno Aveillan's fantastical history lesson", in ADWEEK, March 2012 
- (English) "Bruno Aveillan's "L'Odysée" for Cartier Dazzles the Ad Industry", in SourceEcreative, March 2012 
- (French) Raphaelle Elkrief Le luxe se met en scène, in Le Monde.fr, 23 Mars 2012 
- (French) Television : Interview of Bruno Aveillan in La vie des médias on TF1. December 21, 2003 (Archives INA)
- (English) Radio : Interview of Bruno Aveillan by Philip Dodd in Night Waves on BBC. April 9, 2012
- "Bruno Aveillan is a director who respects the viewers, provides them dream and emotion" Stephan Faudeux in "Sonovision" n° 442, Article page 98/99
- "I discovered this filmmaker through his commercials (in particular those of Perrier) and since Jean Jacques Annaud, I never met such a visual talent (...) Bruno Aveillan has, for me, the potential and the talent of Tim Burton" Interview of Claude Berri in "Le Film Français special Cannes" n° 2826/27, page 19
- «Aveillan has a rare combination of skills – an « acutely high standard », and incredible knowledge of visual spécial effects in addition to the ability to shoot beautiful and emotional films. » Kathy De salvo in "Shoot" May 18, 2001
- "With its latest ad for a Philips "Robot skin", Bruno Aveillan has yet marked spirits. Far from being a ﬁrst-timer, this director has a much more personal universe than the advertising industry would suggest." Stephane Zissu in "Kromag" 04
- "His sense of aesthetics combined with an immoderate taste for the imaginary or rather the world of dreams is impressive. From that fascination comes a unique sensibility that makes Bruno Aveillan an extraordinary painter of human nature." Stephane Zissu in "Kromag" 04