Bruno Barbey is a Moroccan-born French photographer (born 1941). Throughout his four-decade career he has traveled across five continents, photographing many wars.
Barbey was born in Morocco and in 1959-1960 he studied photography and graphic arts at the Ecole des Arts et Métiers in Vevey, Switzerland. During the 1960s he was commissioned to photograph European and African countries by Editions Rencontre in Lausanne. In 1964 Barbey began a relationship with Magnum Photos, becoming an Associate member in 1966, and a full member in 1968, at which time he was photographing student riots in Paris. He eventually served as Magnum vice president for Europe in 1978 and 1979 and from 1992-1995 as President of Magnum International.
He spent 1979 to 1981 photographing Poland, resulting in his book Poland. He rejects the label of 'war photographer', although he has covered civil wars in Nigeria, Vietnam, the Middle East, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Northern Ireland, Iraq, and Kuwait. From 2005 Barbey has, among other work, been pursuing a project on Istanbul.
- French National Order of Merit
- Overseas Press Club Award
- Photojournalism Award, University of Missouri
- Bruno Barbey's Istanbul, Turkey: Yapi Kredi Publications, 2009
- Italyanlar / Italians, Turkey: Yapi Kredi Publications, 2008
- 1968, Bruno Barbey, Istanbul, Turkey: Fotografevi, 2008
- Maroc, France: Editions de la Martinière, 2003
- Les Italiens, France: Editions de la Martinière, 2002
- Essaouira, France: Editions du Chêne, 2000
- Photo Poche, France: Editions Nathan, 1999
- Mai 68, France: Editions de la Différence, 1998
- Gens des nuages, France: Editions Stock, 1997
- Fès, immobile, immortelle, France: Editions Imprimerie Nationale, 1996
- Portugal, Germany: Hoffmann & Campe, 1988
- Le Gabon, France: Editions du Chêne, 1984
- Pologne, France: Editions Arthaud, 1982
- Bombay, Netherlands: Time & Life Books, 1979
- Nigeria, France: Editions Jeune Afrique, 1978
- Iran, Editions Jeune Afrique, 1976
- Ceylan, France: Editions André Barret, 1974
- Ecosse, Switzerland: Editions Rencontre, 1968
- Koweït, Switzerland: Editions Rencontre, 1967
- Kenya, Switzerland: Editions Rencontre, 1966
- Portugal, Switzerland: Editions Rencontre, 1966
- Camargue, Switzerland: Editions Rencontre, 1964
- Naples', Switzerland: Editions Rencontre,1964
- 2008--Mai 68 vu par Bruno Barbey, Caroline Thienot
- 2005--Grand Angle, 2M, Maroc.
- 2003--Panoramiques Maroc, Caroline Thiénot (betanum, 12 min).
- 2002--Les Italiens, directed by Caroline Thiénot (betanum, 10 min).
- 1996--Maroc sans Frontière, directed by Mostafa Bouazzaoui for Moroccan television.
- 1988--Assignment in Morocco, BBC, directed by Clem Vallance (in conjunction with centenary of National Geographic).
- 1979--3 Jours, 3 Photographes, directed by F. Moscovitz (about Bruno Barbey, Jean Loup Sieff and Robert Doisneau).
- 1968--Mai 68 (16mm, B&W).
- Haluk Dağ, "Bruno Barbey's Istanbul", SkyLife, April 2010. Turkish Airlines. Accessed 2010-10-31.