Brunswick High School (Ohio)
- For other schools named Brunswick High School see Brunswick High School (disambiguation).
|Brunswick High School|
|3581 Center Road
Brunswick, Ohio, 44212
|Motto||"Let's Go Big Blue!"|
|School district||Brunswick City Schools|
|Principal||Mrs. Tracy Wheeler|
|Staff||132 teachers (as of 2012)|
|Number of students||approximately 2500|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue and White|
|Rivals||Medina Battling Bees
Brunswick High School (BHS) is a public high school in Brunswick, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Brunswick City School District and the only high school in the city. Brunswick High School offers a comprehensive educational program consisting of ten Advanced Placement Courses and Honors-Level programming in all academic areas. A wide range of co-curricular and extra-curricular clubs, activities, and athletics supplement the academic programs at Brunswick High School. Brunswick has 132 teachers and approximately 2500 students (as of 2012).
Brunswick High School continues to be rated "EXCELLENT" by the Ohio Department of Education.
Brunswick High's school colors are royal blue and white and the school mascot is the Blue Devil.(NOC); Brunswick was previously a member of the former Pioneer Conference. BHS sports include football, soccer, swimming, gymnastics, basketball, baseball, softball, wrestling, cheerleading, track, cross country, volleyball, golf, tennis, hockey, lacrosse, bowling and rugby.
Brunswick High School also has band and theater departments. The band program has seen much success in recent years participating in Ohio Music Education Association and Bands of America competitions. The school's Latin Club functions as a local chapter of both the Ohio Junior Classical League (OJCL) and National Junior Classical League (NJCL).
The school is one story with three houses; the West (primarily freshman), Center (sophomores and juniors) and East (seniors). BHS has two gymnasiums and two cafeterias (East and West). Due to water damage the gym floor in the East gym was completely replaced in early 2011. Behind the school is located a turf football field with a 1/4-mile track around it (newly renovated in 2011), practice football field, a soccer field and baseball field.
Beginning in the 2008 school year, the auto, metal and wood shop classes were removed from the school. These rooms were converted to computer labs. Technology classes are primarily located in the West house. Foreign language classes are in the Center house. The school has an art wing with 4 art studios (located in the East house). There are 8 computer labs (not including the media center), one of which is dedicated as a classroom. The schools media center no longer functions as a library. Instead, tables have been added and is used more as an "internet café" for study hall students. The media center also hosts a distance learning lab that connects electronically to the University of Akron for PSEOP students.
At the end of the 2010 school year a SMART Board was added in every classroom to replace the chalk and white boards. All desktops were removed from the teachers' desks and every teacher received an HP Pro Book for their room. Some classrooms still have 2 desktop computers for student use.
In the 2011-2012 school year security was increased in the building with the addition of new security cameras and magnetic locks installed on exterior doors, allowing exterior doors to be unlocked during class changes and locked automatically after. Building wide Wi-Fi was also added for student use. BHS is also experimenting with textbook free classes, loaning students MacBook Airs to use in the classroom and to complete classwork assignments at home (online, in lieu of going to the classroom).
Brunswick High School has 6 administrators (11th and 12th grade principals rotate grade levels each year, the 11th grade principal follows students to 12th grade):
- Head Principal - Mr. Michael Draves
- 12th Grade Assistant Principal - Mrs. Lee Ann Petry
- 11th Grade Assistant Principal - Mr. Keith Merrill
- 10th Grade Assistant Principal - Mr. Thomas Taylor
- 9th Grade Assistant Principal - Mr. John Justice
- Athletic Director - Mr. Pietro Demonte
- Superintendent - Mr. Michael Mayell
Ohio High School Athletic Association State championships
- Boys Track and Field – 1998
- Boys Cross Country – 1999
- Girls Softball – 1986
- Girls Cross Country - 2011
Notes and references
- "Member Schools". NOC. 2009. Retrieved September 20, 2009.
- "Executive Board Pre-File Application". OhioJCL.org - June 2007. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on June 17, 2007. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "OJCL Constitution". OhioJCL.org - July 2002. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on July 21, 2002. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
... by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Softball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.