|Occupation||Head Pastor at Grace Presbyterian Church, Author|
|Religion||Christian (Presbyterian), Presbyterian Church in America|
Bryan Chapell is the former Chancellor of Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri, the denominational seminary of the Presbyterian Church in America. He previously served as President of Covenant from 1994-2012. In 2013 he accepted a position as the Senior Pastor of Grace Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Peoria, IL.
Chapell has a Bachelor of Journalism from Northwestern University, a Master of Divinity from Covenant Theological Seminary, and a PhD in speech communication from Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Chapell began teaching at Covenant in 1985 after ten years in pastoral ministry. Before becoming President in 1994, he served for six years as Vice President for Academics and Dean of Faculty. In his capacity as President and now Chancellor, he teaches in the Ministry and Proclamation departments. His appointment as Chancellor became effective on 1 June 2012. On January 25, 2013 it was announced that Chapell would resign his position as Chancellor at Covenant Seminary effective April 15, 2013, and accept a call to serve as Senior Pastor of Grace Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Peoria, IL. Also effective April 15, the Covenant Seminary Board of Trustees bestowed the title of President Emeritus, and Interim President Mark Dalbey appointed Chapell to the position of Adjunct Professor of Practical Theology.
Chapell's book Christ-Centered Preaching won "Book of the Year" from Preaching Magazine and has established him as one of the nation's most recognized teachers of homiletics. He has written several other books, including:
- The Promises of Grace
- In the Grip of Grace
- Using Illustrations to Preach with Power
- Each for the Other
- The Wonder of It All
- 1 & 2 Timothy: To Guard the Deposit (with R. Kent Hughes)
- Holiness by Grace
- Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
- I'll Love You Anyway and Always, a children's book
In November 2009, Chapell signed an ecumenical statement known as the Manhattan Declaration calling on evangelicals, Catholics and Orthodox not to comply with rules and laws which they claim would compel institutional participation in, or blessing of, abortion, same-sex marriage, and other matters that go against their religious consciences.
- Mark Dalbey, Interim president of CTS
- "Bryan Chapell steps down as President of Covenant Theological Seminary; appointed to new position of Chancellor". The Aquila Report. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-13. "The following news release was sent out by Mark Dalbey, Acting President of the Seminary."
- "Why Covenant. Leadership transition. Communication from the Board of Trustees Regarding Leadership Transition at Covenant Seminary.". Covenant Theological Seminary. 1 May 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-13. "Effective June 1, 2012, Dr. Chapell will...assume the new position of Chancellor. As Chancellor, Dr. Chapell will focus on representing the Seminary among its external constituencies...upon his return from his current sabbatical."
- Bryan Chapell (9 May 2012). "Why Covenant. Leadership transition. Letter from Dr. Chapell. A time of transition.". Covenant Theological Seminary. Retrieved 2012-05-13. "...as of June 1, 2012...I will assume the Chancellor responsibilities following my current sabbatical."
- Greg Edwards (7 May 2007). "Praying in style". St. Louis Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved 2012-05-19. "Covenant Seminary, the seminary of the Presbyterian Church in America, has broken ground on a...three-story...administrative...building on Conway Road...scheduled for completion in August 2008, said Dr. Bryan Chapell, seminary president."
- "Announcement from the Covenant Theological Seminary Board of Trustees". Covenant Theological Seminary. Retrieved 29 April 2011.
- "Bryan Chapell". Covenant Theological Seminary. Retrieved 22 March 2011.
- "Dr. Chapell Named President Emeritus as He Accepts Pastoral Call: Communication Regarding Dr. Bryan Chapell". ByFaith Magazine. Lawrenceville, Georgia. 1 February 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-03. "At the regular quarterly meeting of the Covenant Seminary Board of Trustees on January 25, 2013...Interim President Dr. Mark Dalbey...appointed him Adjunct Professor of Practical Theology."
- Manhattan Declaration: A Call of Christian Conscience