|Born||Bryan Charles Kocis
May 28, 1962
|Died||January 24, 2007
Dallas Township, Pennsylvania
Cause of death
|Death by stabbing|
|Other names||Bryan Phillips|
|Known for||Cobra Video founder
Brent Corrigan controversy
Bryan Charles Kocis (May 28, 1962 – January 24, 2007), also known as Bryan Phillips, was the founder of and director for the gay pornographic film studio Cobra Video. Kocis was murdered at his Dallas Township, Pennsylvania home on January 24, 2007, and his body found after a deliberate fire to cover the circumstances of the crime. Two escorts, Harlow Cuadra and Joseph Kerekes were charged and convicted for Kocis' murder.
Bryan Charles Kocis was born and raised in Larksville, Pennsylvania. He attended Wyoming Valley West High School winning several scholarships, graduating in 1980. He graduated from Rochester Institute of Technology, after which he worked as a medical photographer for a local eye doctor in.
After he left the medical photography business, he tried several business ventures, each of which failed. He was involved in a cellular phone venture in 2001, when he was charged with sexual assault on a 15 year old boy. After being removed as a partner in that venture, he established Cobra Video in 2001. Also that year, Kocis filed bankruptcy in federal court. Kocis would create two legal entities with the name, Cobra Video LLC: one in Pennsylvania in 2002, the other in Delaware in 2005.
Cobra competed in the market niche of low-budget, Barely Legal-style bareback films. The company was dedicated to "Capturing the Erotic Essence of Youth" by producing pornographic movies of young men who looked as if they could be adolescents having sex without condoms.
In the five years after between his bankruptcy and his death, Kocis' Cobra Video did very well financially. At the time of his death, Kocis had amassed personal possessions which included a Maserati convertible, a BMW sport utility and an Aston Martin. In addition to his Dallas Township home, Kocis owned two adjacent Rice Township parcels, valued at over $400,000, with no mortgages.
Allegations of Sexual Abuse of a Child
In 2002, police found a videotape of Bryan Kocis, then 39, and a 15-year-old male in his home. Kocis pled guilty to one count of sexual abuse of a child. He was initially charged with child pornography, and transportation of a minor for sexual purposes. Since the boy had lied about his age Kocis was given a probation sentence.
In 2006 a judge, Michael Conahan, signed paperwork changing Kocis' charge from sex assault to corruption of minors. Kocis' former attorney, Al Flora, said the change was made because the original charge of sexual assault of a child was a mistake and that, "We didn't realize there was an error until 2006." As a result of that change, Kocis was not required to be registered as a Megan's Law offender. Conahan would later plea guilty to federal racketeering charges in relation to the infamous "Kids for Cash" scandal, and is serving 17.5 years in prison.
Beginning in early 2004, Kocis cast Sean Lockhart, in Cobra's Every Poolboy's Dream under the stage name of Brent Corrigan. He would go on to star in several more films in that year, notably Schoolboy Crush in 2004 as well as in Bareboned Twinks and Casting Couch 4 in 2005 followed by other releases in 2006. On September 13, 2005, Corrigan's attorney announced publicly that Corrigan was underaged when he filmed scenes for Cobra Video, and had used a fake ID to participate in those scenes. Cobra denied that they were ever aware of such allegations and publicly stated that they had copies of Corrigan's ID's claiming a birth year of 1985. A civil lawsuit between the two parties began soon after.
Kocis denied the allegations and began a counter-suit for copyright infringement, for the unauthorized use of Cobra’s “Brent Corrigan” name. A final hearing in the matter was scheduled for February 21, 2007.
Kocis was found dead on January 24, 2007, after a fire at his Dallas Township, Pennsylvania home. According to the investigating coroner, Kocis was stabbed 28 times and his throat was cut, nearly decapitating him. His body was left in the house before it was set on fire. Officials had to use dental records to identify Kocis because his body was burned beyond recognition.
On May 15, 2007, two Virginia Beach escorts, Harlow Cuadra and Joseph Kerekes, were arrested and charged with Kocis' murder. Police arrested the pair after discovering evidence on Kocis' computer, which had survived the fire. 
On Dec. 8, 2008, Kerekes pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, theft, tampering with or fabricating evidence, and criminal conspiracy, and was sentenced to life in prison without parole. Cuadra pled not guilty and went to trial on Feb. 24, 2009. On March 16, he was sentenced to life in prison without parole. On April 7, 2009, Cuadra appealed his life sentence.
Bryan Kocis' lawsuit against Sean Lockhart and the claim by Luzerne County Pennsylvania Prosecutors during Harlow Cuadra's murder trial that Lockhart was "contractually bound" to perform sex acts for money for Bryan Kocis' Cobra Video company lead to on-going public discussion about the legality of adult industry contracts and revealed why the Adult Industry in North America is concentrated in the State of California.
Cobra Killer: Gay Porn Murder, was written by authors Andrew E. Stoner and Peter A. Conway, was about Bryan Kocis' murder, and the trials of Harlow Cuadra and Joseph Kerekes. Cobra Killer was published by Magnus Books on June 19, 2012.
- Every Poolboy's Dream, 2004 (Cobra Video)
- Schoolboy Crush, 2004 (Cobra Video)
- Bareboned Twinks, 2005 (Cobra Video)
- Casting Couch 4, 2005 (Cobra Video)
The previous four titles have been voluntarily removed from circulation due to Corrigan's underage dispute. They have remained for sale on internet auction sites.
- Cream BBoys, 2006 (Cobra Video)
- Naughty Boy's Toys, 2006 (Cobra Video)
- Brent Corrigan: Fuck Me Raw, 2006 (Cobra Video)
- Take It Like a Bitch Boy, 2006 (Cobra Video)
- "Kocis’ parents still without closure". Archived from the original on 2009-03-21.
- Malcolm, Wade. "Murder victim led guarded life". CitizensVoice.com. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-01-28.
- Lewis, Edward (2007-02-04). "Probe into Kocis death continues". TimesLeader.com. Archived from the original on 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2007-02-05.
- "The Case of the Cobra Killer". Out.com. February 26, 2009.
- "Cobra Video required 2257 compliance". Cobravideo.com. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- https://www.corporations.state.pa.us/corp/soskb/csearch.asp?corpsNav=%7C PA Secretary of State
- https://delecorp.delaware.gov/tin/GINameSearch.jsp Delaware Secretary of State
- Buynovsky, Sarah. "Questions Arise about Kocis' Legal Past". WNEP.com. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- "Former Luzerne Judge Conahan Sentenced to 17.5 Years". The Times Tribune.
- Malcolm, Wade. "Phone, computer records sought". CitizensVoice.com. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- "Possibly Underage Gay Performer Worked for Cobra".
- "Cobra Strikes Back".
- Liebacki, Ron. "Kocis Firm Suing Actor for $1M". TimesLeader.com. Archived from the original on 2007-02-02. Retrieved 2007-01-28.
- "Pacific Sun Entertainment, which distributes Cobra Video titles, has notified all of its customers to pull the titles from their shelves, a Pacific Sun spokesman told GAYVN." http://web.archive.org/web/20070311192206/http://www.avn.com/index.php?Primary_Navigation=Articles&Action=View_Article&Content_ID=240238: Possibly Underage Gay Performer Worked for Cobra]
- "GAYVN Article". Web.archive.org. 2006-05-08. Archived from the original on 2006-05-08. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- Lewis, Edward (2007-01-25). "Man found in burned home was murdered". TimesLeader.com. Archived from the original on 2007-02-03. Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- "Update: Coroner says victim dead at time of fire". 2007-01-25. Archived from the original on 2007-02-07. Retrieved 2007-01-25.
- "Gay porn producer slain". TimesLeader.com. 2007-01-26. Archived from the original on 2007-02-03. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- Yum, Rosa. "Court Papers: Kocis Stabbed Dozens of Times". WNEP.com. Archived from the original on 2007-03-10. Retrieved 2007-01-29.
- Malcolm, Wade. "2 Men Charged with Murder". Times-Leader.com. Retrieved 2007-05-15.
- Gay porn actors charged with killing executive in scheme to work with star; Simon, Mallory, CourtTV.com; 2007-07-17. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- Virginia Seizes Assets Of Pair Accused Of Killing Gay Porn Producer; 365gay.com;2007-08-15. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- Guilty plea in porn-producer murder case[dead link]; published 2008-12-08. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- [dead link]
- "The Advocate: Cuadra to Serve Life in Prison". Web.archive.org. 2009-03-18. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Citizens' Voice: Breaking News: Cuadra appeals verdict". Web.archive.org. 2009-04-10. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- http://adultbizlaw.com/the-problem-with-producing-porn-outside-california The Problem With Producing Porn Outside California
- http://georgetownlawjournal.org/articles/sexual-reconsideration-adult-entertainment-contracts-and-the-problem-of-enforceability Sexual (Re)consideration: Adult Entertainment Contracts and the Problem of Enforceability
- "Gay Porn, Murder, And The Manhunt To Bring The Killers To Justice". Cobra Killer. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "New book recounts an area homicide". The Times Leader. 2007-01-24. Retrieved 2012-11-16.