Price as the Reds' pitching coach, 2011
Cincinnati Reds – No. 38
|Coach / Manager|
June 22, 1962 |
San Francisco, California
(through September 25, 2014)
Bryan Roberts Price (born June 22, 1962) is the manager of the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball. After pitching in the minor leagues, Price has served as the pitching coach for the Seattle Mariners, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Cincinnati Reds before being named manager of the Reds. The Reds named Price the 61st manager in club history on October 22, 2013, replacing Dusty Baker.
Price attended Tamalpais High School in Mill Valley, California, and the University of California, Berkeley, where he played college baseball for the California Golden Bears baseball team. He pitched professionally in the California Angels and Seattle Mariners organization for five seasons. He began his career with the Angels in 1984, making it as far as the Class AA Midland Angels. After his release in 1986, he took 1987 off and signed with the Mariners. He split two seasons between AA and the AAA Calgary Cannons. In his career, he compiled a record of 31–19 with a 3.74 ERA in 90 games, 75 for starts.
Price was the Seattle Mariners pitching coach from 2001–2006. Price earned USA Today Baseball Weekly 's Pitching Coach of the Year Award in 2001 after leading that staff to the American League ERA title with a 3.54 mark, an improvement of almost one run per game from the previous season.
Price was the Arizona Diamondbacks pitching coach until May 7, 2009, when he resigned after manager Bob Melvin was replaced by A. J. Hinch. Price was named Major League Coach of the Year by Baseball America in 2007 after his Diamondbacks staff posted a 4.13 ERA, fourth best in the National League, on the way to the National League Championship Series. He also worked for the Philadelphia Phillies as a minor league consultant.
Price was hired as manager of the Cincinnati Reds on October 21, 2013, replacing Dusty Baker, and was publicly announced at a news conference on October 22. The deal is reportedly a three year contract. On Sunday, April 27, 2014 Price was ejected in the 1st Inning because he didn't agree with a replay call.  It was announced by the team on September 26, 2014 that Price, and Walt Jocketty, would return for the 2015 season despite the team's first losing season since 2011.
- "Reds tap Price to fill staff vacancy". Mlb.mlb.com. May 24, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- Price excited to join Reds
- "Reds hire Price as pitching coach". Sports.espn.go.com. October 17, 2009. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "Reds name new pitching coach". News.cincinnati.com. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- Dyce, Mike. "Bryan Price to be named Cincinnati Reds manager". Fansided.com. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Reds to name Bryan Price new manager". October 21, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Bryan Price managerial career statistics at Baseball-Reference.com