|Full name||Bryan Jafet Ruiz González|
|Date of birth||18 August 1985|
|Place of birth||San José, Costa Rica|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Second striker / Attacking Midfielder|
|2014||→ PSV (loan)||14||(5)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:36, 18 January 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Bryan Jafet Ruiz González (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈbɾajan ˈrwis]; born 18 August 1985) is a Costa Rican professional footballer who plays for English club Fulham. He is a right sided attacking midfielder who can play as a second striker, and is captain of the Costa Rica national team.
He began his professional career at 18, making his debut for for Liga Deportiva Alajuelense on 30 November 2003 against Municipal Pérez Zeledón, in Costa Rica's top division. He formed a trio with 2 strikers, Rolando Fonseca and Froylán Ledezma, where he built a reputation as a goalscorer and a play maker. He scored his first goal on 23 December 2003 against Ramonense, netting twice against Fernando Patterson. In Alajuelense, Bryan was nicknamed in jest "la comadreja" (the weasel), for his facial profile. He was on the team when it won regional titles such as the UNCAF Cup and the CONCACAF Champions' Cup.
On 15 July 2009, the Dutch club FC Twente announced that they had signed Ruiz for around five million Euro and agreed to receive a percentage of a subsequent transfer. Ruiz signed a 4-year deal with the Eredivisie side. Ruiz made his debut for the new club by scoring the second goal of the match, with an assist from another newcomer, Miroslav Stoch. Ruiz's goal against NAC Breda on 12 December 2009 marked the 10th consecutive match in which he had scored. On 27 March 2010, Ruiz made one of the quickest hat tricks ever against Sparta Rotterdam, with goals in the 46th, 49th and 50th minutes.
On 2 May 2010, FC Twente were crowned champions of Eredivisie for the first time in their history, with a 2–0 win at NAC Breda; Ruiz scored the first goal of the match during the 23rd minute of play. Ruiz finished the season as top scorer for Twente with 24 goals in Eredivisie play. In August 2011, Ruiz was being watched by scouts from Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, however on 18 August 2011 Ruiz claimed that Fulham was in talks with him. Ruiz stated to a local source "Fulham is a serious option for me. "That is also a Premier League side and it is a fantastic league. "Fulham already contacted my agent. If Fulham does become serious, we will definitely talk."
On 31 August 2011, the last day of the Premier League summer transfer window, Fulham announced signing Ruiz for an undisclosed fee. His début was on Sunday, 11 September 2011 at home to Blackburn Rovers and he scored his first goal for Fulham in a 3–1 home defeat against Everton on 23 October 2011.
In the fixture against Bolton at the Reebok Stadium on 7 April 2012, Ruiz broke a bone in his foot, leading to a stretcher taking him off and him needing an operation, which sidelined him for 10 weeks.
On 18 August 2012, Ruiz started Fulham's first Premier League game of the season, a 5–0 win against Norwich and assisted Mladen Petrić in scoring his second goal in his debut match. He finished the 2012–2013 season making 31 first-team appearances and scoring five goals.
Ruiz joined Eredivisie club PSV Eindhoven on 15 January 2014, on loan until the end of the season. He made his debut on 19 January 2014 in a 1-0 loss to Ajax and scored his first goal for the club on 14 February with a 63rd minute winner against Heracles Almelo.
Ruiz scored six times during the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification campaign, as Costa Rica was knocked out by Uruguay in the intercontinental play-off. In the 2014 qualifiers, he scored three goals to lead the team to the FIFA World Cup finals.
In June 2014, Ruiz was named in Costa Rica's squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. In the team's opening match, he captained Los Ticos to a 3–1 defeat of Uruguay in Fortaleza. On 20 June, Ruiz scored the only goal as Costa Rica upset four-time champion Italy 1–0 to qualify for the round of 16, where he again scored his team's goal as they drew 1–1 with Greece. Ruiz later successfully converted his kick as Costa Rica prevailed 5–3 in the penalty shootout. In the quarter-final against the Netherlands, Ruiz was one of two Costa Ricans to have his kick saved by Tim Krul in a 4–3 penalty shootout defeat.
- Scores and results list Costa Rica's goal tally first.
- CONCACAF Champions' Cup
- Winner (1): 2004
- Copa Interclubes UNCAF
- Winner (1): 2005
- Primera División de Costa Rica
- Winner (1): 2004–05
- KNVB Cup
- Winner (1): 2010–11
- Johan Cruijff Schaal
- Player of the season at Gent: 2009
- Player of the season at FC Twente: 2010
- Goal of the Month (England): October 2011
- "Premier League Clubs submit Squad Lists" (PDF). premierleague.com. Premier League. 2 September 2011. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- Vida de Bryan Ruiz (Profile) - Nación (Spanish)
- VI – Sparta Rotterdam – Fc Twente (01-08-2009)[dead link]
- "VI – Bryan Ruiz Gonzales". Vi.nl.
- "FC Twente na rust langs NAC Breda". NOS. 12 December 2009. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- According to some sources this was Jan Seelen (Ajax) who made the hat trick within 2 minutes against SHS (2–9) (1958/1959).
- "Bryan Ruiz hat-trick keeps Twente on course for title". 28 March 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "Ruiz Joins Fulham". Fulham FC. Retrieved 31 August 2011.
- "Fulham 1-1 Blackburn". BBC Sport. Retrieved 11 September 2011.
- "Fulham 1-3 Everton". BBC Sport. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- "Fulham striker Bryan Ruiz has surgery on broken foot". BBC Sport. 10 April 2012.
- "Fulham 5-0 Norwich". BBC Sport. 18 August 2012.
- "Bryan Ruiz - Soccerbase". Soccerbase. 19 May 2013.
- "Bryan Ruiz: Fulham forward joins PSV Eindhoven on loan". BBC Sport. 15 January 2014. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Bryan RUIZ". FIFA. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Costa Rica World Cup 2014 squad". The Telegraph. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Uruguay 1-3 Costa Rica". BBC. 14 June 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Italy 0-1 Costa Rica". BBC. 20 June 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Costa Rica 1-1 Greece". BBC. 29 June 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Netherlands 0-0 Costa Rica". BBC. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bryan Ruiz.|
- Bryan Ruiz career stats at Soccerbase
- Voetbal International profile (Dutch)
- Fulham F.C. profile
- Official website
- Bryan Ruiz at National-Football-Teams.com