|Former President of the Southern Baptist Convention|
|Church||Johnson Ferry Baptist Church in Marietta, Georgia|
|Term ended||June 2012|
|Born||Columbia, South Carolina|
|Denomination||Southern Baptist Convention|
|Alma mater||University of South Carolina|
Bryant Wright is pastor of Johnson Ferry Baptist Church in Marietta, Georgia. He served as elected president of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) from June 2010 to June 2012. He succeeded Johnny Hunt, who had served two one-year terms. Wright was succeeded as SBC president by Fred Luter.
Wright was born in Columbia, South Carolina. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of South Carolina in 1974 and a Master of Divinity from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1980.
He received honorary doctorates from SEFOVAN Seminary, Madrid, Spain - June 2007 and University of South Carolina - May 2011. In 1981 he became Senior Pastor of Johnson Ferry Baptist Church in northwest metro Atlanta, with 8,000 plus members as of 2012. As of January, 2012, Johnson Ferry had average worship attendance of over 4,600. In 1992 he founded Right From The Heart Ministries, a radio, television and internet ministry that airs 30- to 60-second inspirational spots on secular radio and television.
Wright is a strong supporter of the Great Commission Resurgence Task Force established by his predecessor, which issued a report that calls for rejuvenation of the SBC with greater emphasis on evangelism. He has called on pastors to try to make more Cooperative Program funding available for missions to unreached people in the world. He has said he dreams of seeing every Southern Baptist pastor and church take at least one mission trip. Wright calls himself as "a follower of Jesus Christ that believes the Bible" and says "I really don't believe that human beings are ever going to completely reconcile the sovereignty of God and the free will of man". At the 2011 Southern Baptist Convention, Wright joined Tom Elliff, IMB president, in challenging Southern Baptist churches to claim responsibility by the 2012 SBC annual meeting for reaching all 3,800 unengaged, unreached people groups (UUPG). A UUPG is a distinct people group somewhere in the world with no believers and no one trying to reach them with the gospel.
- Bryant Wright (1997). One minute of your time: right from my heart. Right from the Heart Ministries. ISBN 0-9660935-0-X.
- Bryant Wright. Another Minute of Your Time. Right from the Heart Ministries.
- Bryant Wright (2006). One Minute of Your Day. Winepress Pub. ISBN 1-57921-841-5.
- Bryant Wright (2010). Seeds Of Turmoil. Thomas Nelson. ISBN 978-0-8499-4815-2.
- Bryant Wright (2011). Right from the Heart - A 365 Devotional. Thomas Nelson. ISBN 978-1-4041-9002-3.
- Southern Baptist Convention
- Southern Baptist Convention Presidents
- List of Southern Baptist Convention affiliated people
- Audrey Barrick (Jun 16, 2010). "Bryant Wright Named New SBC President". Christian Post. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Founder of Right From The Heart". Right From The Heart Ministry. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Bryant Wright, President of the Southern Baptist Convention". Southern Baptist Convention. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "FOR SBC PRESIDENT: Bryant Wright". Florida Baptist Witness. June 14, 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Wright calls SBC to new missions heights". Florida Baptist Witness. Jul 28, 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- TAMMI REED LEDBETTER (Jun 16, 2010). "Bryant Wright fields questions on GCR, CP and Calvinism". Southern Baptist TEXAN. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Wright Embraces UUPGs". Baptist Press. Sep 12, 2011. Retrieved 2012-02-07.