|Born||May 1, 1989|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||175 lb (79 kg)|
|Event(s)||200 meters, 400 meters|
|College team||USC Trojans|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||200 m: 20.43 (Sacramento 2007)
400 m: 44.73 (Eugene 2013)
Bryshon Nellum (born May 1, 1989) is an American sprinter. He graduated from University of Southern California in 2012 with a degree in Public Administration and Social Service Professions and is currently a graduate student.
A native of Los Angeles, California, Nellum attended Long Beach Polytechnic High School, where he also competed in American football as a wide receiver, and was teammates with Terrence Austin, Jurrell Casey, Vaughn Telemaque, and Donovan Warren. He was ranked the No. 70 wide receiver prospect in his class by Rivals.com.
While still in high school, Nellum was named Gatorade Track & Field Athlete of the Year in 2007. In his sophomore year, Nellum finished second to David Gettis in the 400 meters at the 2005 CIF California State Meet. As a junior, he doubled as state champion in the 200 and 400 meters. At the 2007 CIF State Meet, Nellum repeated as 200 and 400 meters champion. In a memorable 200 metres dash, Nellum (state meet record 20.43) ran head-to-head with 100 meters champion Jahvid Best (20.65), narrowly beating him down the stretch. Nellum's and Best's time ranked No. 1 and No. 2 among high school sprinters in 2007, and earned Nellum a consecutive All-USA selection by USA Today.
Nellum had to redshirt the 2009 season at USC, after being shot in the leg by two gang members. Nellum was told by doctors that he would probably never again reach world-class speeds as a runner.
On June 24, 2012, in Eugene, Oregon, Bryshon Nellum ran a personal record 44.80—his first sub-45-second time—in the 400 meters at the U.S. Olympic track trials, placing third in the competition and earning a spot on the 2012 Olympic team. At the 2012 Olympics Nellum reached the semi-finals of the individual 400 meters and won a silver medal as part of the 4x400 meters relay team. He carried the US flag at the closing ceremony after being chosen by the US athletes.
- Rivals.com wide receivers 2007
- Nellum, Prentice headed to state as double winners
- Bryshon Nellum runs a 20.43 at California State Meet on YouTube
- 2007 Boys All-USA Track and Field team
- "USC standout sprinter shot in the legs". Los Angeles Times. November 2, 2008.
- "USC's Bryshon Nellum is back on track after being wounded". Los Angeles Times. May 13, 2010.
- "Bryshon Nellum to carry U.S. flag". Associated Press. ESPN. 10 August 2012. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- Bryshon Nellum profile at IAAF
- DyeStat profile for Bryshon Nellum
- Rivals.com profile for Bryshon Nellum
- USC Trojans bio
- "USC Track Star Rebounds" – KTLA5 Sports clip on YouTube