|• ISO 259||Buˀéine - Nuǧeidaˀt|
|Grid position||184/245 PAL|
|• Type||Local council (from 1980)|
|• Total||7,058 dunams (7.058 km2 or 2.725 sq mi)|
|Name meaning||from personal name|
Bu'eine Nujeidat is an Arab local council in the North District of Israel. Made up of two villages, Bu'eine and Nujeidat, they merged in 1987 and were recognized as one local council in 1996. According to the Israel Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS), the population of 7,900 inhabitants (2006) is majority Muslim with a growth rate of 2.3%.
A possible Roman or Byzantine grave has been found here.
Victor Guérin visited in 1875. In the 1881 the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) described El Baineh as "A village built on the hillside, containing 200 Moslem inhabitants. It possesses a spring, and there are olive-groves in the plain to the north."
British Mandate era
In the 1922 census of Palestine conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Bu’aniyeh had a population of 212, all Muslims, increasing in the 1931 census to 349, of whom 2 were Jews and the rest Muslims, in a total of 67 occupied houses.
In 1945 the population of Bu'eina was 540, all Arabs, while the total land area was 9,214 dunams, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 782 were allocated for plantations and irrigable land, 13,223 for cereals, while 30 dunams were classified as built-up areas.
1948, and aftermath
- Palmer, 1881, p. 124
- Conder and Kitchener, 1881, SWP I, pp. 381-382
- Guérin, 1880, pp. 363-364
- Conder and Kitchener, 1881, SWP I, pp. 362-363
- Barron, 1923, Table XI, Sub-district of Nazareth, p. 38
- Mills, 1932, p.73
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 62
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 109
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 159
- Morris, 1987, p. 200
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Dalali-Amos, Edna (2006-07-30). "Bu‘eina Final Report" (118). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 1. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Dauphin, Claudine (1998). La Palestine byzantine, Peuplement et Populations. BAR International Series 726 (in French). III : Catalogue. Oxford: Archeopress. (p. 721)
- Guérin, Victor (1880). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 3: Galilee, pt. 1. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2. (p. 189)
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Morris, Benny (1987). The Birth of the Palestinian refugee problem, 1947-1949. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-33028-9.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Porat, Leea (2007-12-24). "Bu‘eina Final Report" (119). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.