Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales
|Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales|
Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales is a platform video game developed by Imagitec Design and published by Atari under license from Accolade. It was the third of four games in the Bubsy series, and the only one released exclusively for the Atari Jaguar video game console.
The game plays very similar to the first two games in the Bubsy series, Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind and Bubsy 2. The game plays as a 2D sidescrolling platformer. While the goal is still to maneuver Bubsy through the level to the end, this game emphasizes more puzzle elements such as flipping switches and complicated level design.
As the game's title suggests, the levels are themed after fairy tales, such as Alice in Wonderland, Jack and the Beanstalk, Ali Baba, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Hansel & Gretel. In the game, all of the fairy tales have been corrupted, and Bubsy is tasked to fix them, and protect the children of the world from them.
The game featured a password feature, allowing the player to revisit any level already completed.
Like the two earlier Bubsy games, reception for Fractured Furry Tales has been mostly negative. IGN was critical of the game, stating that while the fairy tale theme worked, they complained the game's attitude felt very forced, the extras and improvements from Bubsy 2 had been dropped, and that the game overall felt like "one giant step sideways". Atari HQ was equally critical of the game, citing a frustrating combination of sloppy controls and high difficulty, and suggesting Jaguar owners buy the original Rayman instead, due to better graphics and sound. Many reviews found the game to be too close to the previous installments of the games in the Bubsy series, which were not rated very well either. Additionally, several reviewers found the graphics to be impressive by Super Nintendo standards, but not necessarily for a system that was supposed to be part of a more powerful generation of video game consoles.
The book Inside Electronic Game Design by Arnie Katz, tells that 50,000 copies were sold the first 6 months of release, with only 60,000 being produced.
- Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales at AllGame
- Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales at MobyGames
- "Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tails". GameSpot.com. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales at IGN
- "Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales Review". Flyingomelette.com. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "AGH Jaguar Review - Bubsy In: Fractured Furry Tales". Atarihq.com. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- AllGame - Overview
- Electronic Gaming Monthly August 1994 issue.
- Alan, Brett (2010-10-03). "Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales - Overview". allgame. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- IGN Retro Feature
- "What Hath Sonic Wrought?, Vol. 1 - IGN". Retro.ign.com. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Bubsy". Hardcore Gaming 101. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Bubsy Jaguar". Inside electronic game design, By Arnie Katz. Retrieved 2014-02-19.