|Industry||Retail (Convenience store)|
|Founder(s)||Arch "Beaver" Aplin III & Don Wasek|
|Headquarters||Lake Jackson, Texas, U.S.|
|Number of locations||29|
|Products||Fuel, coffee, beverages, beef jerky, car wash, prepared foods, and specialty gifts|
Buc-ee's, Ltd is a chain of convenience stores located in the Central and Gulf Coast region of Texas. The company is owned by Arch "Beaver" Aplin III & Don Wasek and has its headquarters in Lake Jackson, Texas.
Business partners Arch "Beaver" Aplin III & Don Wasek, opened their first store in Lake Jackson, Texas in 1982 (which still stands today). Aplin formed the name Buc-ee's for the establishment by combining his nickname, the name his Labrador Retriever, and the name of "Bucky Beaver", the mascot created for Ipana toothpaste in the 1950s by Disney Commercial Studios. The Buc-ee’s brand marketing emphasizes quality products, reasonable prices, heavily discounted ice, and provision of clean bathrooms. Based on the success of their first store, Aplin & Wasek repeated the format throughout their home of Brazoria County, along the Texas State Highway 288 corridor catering mostly to neighbors, boaters and families headed to Lake Jackson, Freeport & Surfside Beach.
Buc-ee's expanded and opened their first travel center in Luling, Texas at the intersection of Interstate 10 & US Highway 90. Buc-ee's travel centers are large stores that typically cover over 60,000 of square footage with large restrooms that contain over 40 urinals and toilets, fueling areas that range from 32-64 pumps, and a full-service deli that features a wide selection of beef jerky, pastries, prepared sandwiches, tacos, Dippin' Dots and homemade fudge.
Additional travel centers have been built in recent years in Madisonville, Texas on Interstate 45, Wharton, Texas on U.S. Hwy. 59, Bastrop, Texas on TX State Highway 71, Waller, Texas on U.S. Hwy. 290, and Texas City, Texas on Interstate 45 between Houston & Galveston.
In 2012, Buc-ee's opened its largest store in New Braunfels, Texas on Interstate 35. The New Braunfels travel center is the largest convenience store in the world at 68,000 square feet. The store features 120 fuel pumps, 31 cash registers, 4 Icee machines, 80 fountain dispensers, tubing and water gear for the Guadalupe River, and a farmer's market that features Grade 1 fruit and produce.
Buc-ee's has announced new locations to open in Baytown, Texas in late 2014 and Temple, Texas and Terrell, Texas in 2015. Presently Buc-ee's has also proposed to build a new store in Corinth Texas, which, if approved, will be north Texas's first Buc-ee's location.
Buc-ee's offers products found at most convenience stores such as fuel, cigarettes, tobacco, chips, drinks, and soft drinks at their smaller neighborhood stores. Travel centers include a full-service deli, coffee shop, exterior tunnel car washes, Texas-themed specialty gifts and food, and products catering hunters and river rafters. Unlike many convenience stores, Buc-ee's does not sell lottery tickets in order to keep fast-paced service. All Buc-ee's are open 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
Buc-ee's offers private labeled beef jerky, novelty candy, trail mixes, granola, pralines, and jarred vegetables, preserves, and salsa. Caramel and butter-glazed corn puffs known as "Beaver Nuggets" is Buc-ee's #1 branded product.
Buc-ee's is known for posting billboards by Texas interstate highways with simple and humorous slogans.
- "If It Harms Beavers, We're Against It!"
- "It's A Beaver!"
- "Restrooms So Clean, We Leave Mints on the Urinals"
- "Ice, Beer, Jerky: The 3 Food Groups"
- "The Top Two Reasons to Stop at Buc-ee's: #1 and #2"
- "A Bigger Kolache I Never Sausage a Thing"
- "Don't worry, P happy"
- "Epic Flush"
- "Don't stay thirsty my friends."
- "Worth the Wait"
- "The Eyes of Buc-ee's Are Upon You"
- "Buy a gift, leave a present."
- "Buc-ee's official website". Bucees.com. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- Greg Bowen (2011-08-13). "World’s biggest Buc-ee’s now under construction on I-35 in New Braunfels". The Herald-Zeitung. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Iconic Buc-ee’s convenience-store chain eying New Braunfels site - San Antonio Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- Zeke MacCormack (2012-05-08). "Wait is over for fans of Buc-ee's, its restrooms - San Antonio Express-News". Mysanantonio.com. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Buc-ee's gnaws itself a notch on Texas' tourism belt". Statesman.com. 2011-08-24. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- Buc-ee’s New Braunfels Bathroom is America’s Best | EON: Enhanced Online News
- Buc-ee's coming to Temple - Temple Daily Telegram: News
- Pending City Council approval, Buc-ee's is coming to Terrell | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth
- BUC-EE'S IN FL 797 miles to TX | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Company website
- Buc-ee's Facebook page
- Buc-ee's in New Braunfels vying for best restrooms in America, KHOU.com, September 2, 2012.
- Miguel Bustillo, Roadside Stopper: Can Something Be Too Big in Texas?, Wall Street Journal, September 12, 2012.