|Industry||Retail (Convenience store)|
|Founder||Arch "Beaver" Aplin III & Don Wasek|
Number of locations
|Products||Fuel, coffee, beverages, beef jerky, snacks, car wash, prepared foods, and specialty gifts|
Buc-ee's, Ltd is a chain of convenience stores located in the Central and Gulf Coast region of Texas. The company is owned by Arch "Beaver" Aplin III & Don Wasek and has its headquarters in Lake Jackson, Texas.
Business partners "Beaver" Aplin III & Don Wasek, opened their first store in Lake Jackson, Texas in 1982 (which still stands today). Aplin formed the name Buc-ee's for the establishment by combining his nickname, the name of his Labrador Retriever, and the name of "Bucky Beaver", the mascot created for Ipana toothpaste in the 1950s by Disney Commercial Studios. The Buc-ee’s brand marketing emphasizes quality products, reasonable prices, heavily discounted ice, and provision of clean bathrooms. After opening their store, Aplin & Wasek opened more throughout Brazoria County and along the Texas State Highway 288 corridor.
Buc-ee's expanded and opened their first travel center in Luling, Texas at the intersection of Interstate 10 & US Highway 90. Buc-ee's travel centers are large stores that typically cover over 60,000 of square footage with large restrooms that contain over 40 urinals and toilets, fueling areas that range from 32-64 pumps, and a deli with a selection of beef jerky, pastries, prepared sandwiches, tacos, Dippin' Dots and homemade fudge.
Additional travel centers have been built in recent years in Madisonville, Texas on Interstate 45, Wharton, Texas on U.S. Hwy. 59, Bastrop, Texas on TX State Highway 71, Waller, Texas on U.S. Hwy. 290, and Texas City, Texas on Interstate 45 between Houston & Galveston.
In 2012, Buc-ee's opened its largest store in New Braunfels, Texas on Interstate 35. The New Braunfels travel center is the largest convenience store in the world at 68,000 square feet. The store features 120 fuel pumps (60 at construction, 60 more added in late 2013), 83 toilets, 31 cash registers, 4 Icee machines, 80 fountain dispensers, tubing and water gear for the Guadalupe River, and a farmer's market.
Buc-ee's offers products found at most convenience stores such as fuel, cigarettes, tobacco, chips, drinks, and soft drinks at their smaller neighborhood stores. Travel centers include a deli, coffee shop, exterior tunnel car washes, Texas-themed specialty gifts and food, and products catering to hunters and river rafters. All Buc-ee's are open 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
Buc-ee's offers private labeled beef jerky, novelty candy, trail mixes, granola, pralines, jarred vegetables, preserves, and salsa. Their #1 branded product is caramel and butter-glazed corn puffs known as 'Beaver Nuggets.'
Buc-ee's is known for posting billboards by Texas interstate highways with simple and humorous slogans.
- "If It Harms Beavers, We're Against It!"
- "It's A Beaver!"
- "Restrooms So Clean, We Leave Mints on the Urinals"
- "Ice, Beer, Jerky: The 3 Food Groups"
- "The Top Two Reasons to Stop at Buc-ee's: #1 and #2"
- "A Bigger Kolache I Never Sausage a Thing"
- "Don't worry, P happy"
- "Epic Flush"
- "Don't stay thirsty my friends."
- "Worth the Wait"
- "The Eyes of Buc-ee's Are Upon You"
- "Buy a gift, leave a gift."
- "Buc-ee's official website". Bucees.com. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- Greg Bowen (2011-08-13). "World’s biggest Buc-ee’s now under construction on I-35 in New Braunfels". The Herald-Zeitung. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Iconic Buc-ee’s convenience-store chain eying New Braunfels site - San Antonio Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- Zeke MacCormack (2012-05-08). "Wait is over for fans of Buc-ee's, its restrooms - San Antonio Express-News". Mysanantonio.com. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Buc-ee's gnaws itself a notch on Texas' tourism belt". Statesman.com. 2011-08-24. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "America's Best Restroom - Hall of Fame - 2012".
- "Buc-ee's Texas and the worlds largest convenience store and gasoline simply Amazing place!".
- Buc-ee’s New Braunfels Bathroom is America’s Best | EON: Enhanced Online News
- Buc-ee's coming to Temple - Temple Daily Telegram: News
- BUC-EE'S IN FL 797 miles to TX | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Company website
- Buc-ee's Facebook page
- Buc-ee's in New Braunfels vying for best restrooms in America, KHOU.com, September 2, 2012.
- Miguel Bustillo, Roadside Stopper: Can Something Be Too Big in Texas?, Wall Street Journal, September 12, 2012.