Buck's Pocket State Park
|Buck's Pocket State Park|
|Location||DeKalb, Jackson, and Marshall counties, near Langston, Alabama|
|Area||2,000 acres (810 ha)|
|Elevation||764 feet (233 m)|
|Operated by||Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources|
Buck's Pocket State Park is a state park on Sand Mountain in the northeast of the U.S. state of Alabama, located east of Guntersville Lake and 2 miles (3.2 km) north of the community of Grove Oak. This secluded 2,000-acre (810 ha) park is in a natural pocket of the Appalachian Mountain chain on an upstream tributary of Lake Guntersville.
The naming of Buck's Pocket has been attributed variously to the presence of large herds of fighting deer, the death of a buck trapped by Cherokee, a farmer named Buck, and a man nicknamed Buck who lived in a cave in the area. A persistent legend holds that unsuccessful Alabama politicians go to Buck's Pocket after losing their election. When specifically they go and what activities they pursue while there is not specified, but left to the imagination.
Activities and amenities
The park's picnic area has a canyon rim natural vista into the pocket below. The park has an improved campground, complete with tables, grills, shelters, laundry, comfort station, and playground. There are 20 miles (32 km) of hiking trails and 6 miles (9.7 km) of trails for equestrians. A boat launch and fishing area are provided seven miles downstream at Morgan's Cove on Lake Guntersville.
- "Bucks Pocket Tri-County Park". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- Thomas V. Ress (August 12, 2010). "Buck's Pocket State Park". Encyclopedia of Alabama. Alabama Humanities Foundation. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- "Buck's Pocket: A Northeast Alabama State Park". Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. January 2009. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- "Buck's Pocket losing allure for defeated politicians". Gadsden Times. June 10, 1986. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- "Buck's Pocket State Park". Alabama State Parks. Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- Buck's Pocket State Park Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
- Buck's Pocket: A Northeast Alabama State Park Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources