Buck Angel (born 5 June 1972) is an American trans man, adult film producer and performer, and LGBT icon. He is also founder of Buck Angel Entertainment, as a vehicle to produce media projects. He received the 2007 AVN Award as Transsexual Performer of the Year, and works as an advocate, educator, lecturer and writer.
According to his website, Angel was a pronounced tomboy as a child and adolescent. Born in the San Fernando Valley area of California, his gender atypical behavior during childhood was generally accepted at home. Once his secondary sex characteristics began to develop at around age 16, his home life became increasingly tense. After a suicidal gesture in high school, his parents sent him to therapy. It was in his therapy that he stated, for the first time, that he felt like a man. The information was not well received, and according to Angel, "They were going to put me in a mental institution." Unaware of the existence of treatments for gender dysphoria such as hormone replacement therapy, he lived for years as a female, during which time he took drugs and drank alcohol. Though he was profitably employed as a female professional model, he has stated that he was generally dissatisfied with his identity and existence, and "was not loving life."
Adult film career
Angel began to produce and star in his own line of adult films (Buck Angel Entertainment). As he had not had any genital surgery and still possessed a vulva, he created a unique niche, calling himself "The Man With a Pussy".
In 2005, he also became the first trans man to be featured in an all-male porn film produced by an exclusively gay porn company. This was the Titan release Cirque Noir. He is considered as the pioneer of an entirely new genre in gay porn films.
Also in 2005, Buck performed in Allanah Starr's Big Boob Adventures, directed by transsexual Gia Darling, which included a pornographic first: a filmed sex scene between a trans woman (Allanah Starr) and a trans man. For that performance, Allanah was nominated for two AVN Awards including Transsexual Performer of the Year and Most Outrageous Sex Scene.
In 2008, he had a lead role in Buckback Mountain that earned the film two nominations for "Best Alternative Release" and "Best Specialty Release" at the GayVN Awards.
In September 2008 he flew to London, where British artist Marc Quinn began a life-size sculpture of Angel, to be included in the sculptor's upcoming global tour. The finished sculpture has been shown all over the world.
In October 2008 Angel appeared in director Ed Powers' book NAKED about the adult film industry. He filmed a sex scene with porn star Wolf Hudson for the accompanying documentary film NAKED, produced by mainstream photographer Justin Lubin.
In 2010–12 he created an award winning series about trans male sexuality called "Sexing The Transman XXX".
Between 2006 and 2010, Angel appeared on various talk shows including Howard Stern, Tyra Banks, Maury Povich and Secret Lives of Women in the US, the Morning Show in the UK, and the Jensen Show in the Netherlands.
In 2012 Angel created a dating website for transgender men called BuckAngelDating.com. He said he did this because “there was still no special dating site catering to the unique needs of transmen.”
In 2013, Buck Angel and Jody Rose founded transgasm.org to help trans people raise the funds for sexual reassignment surgery. The project was quickly canceled amid accusations that the website was a pyramid scheme.
Awards and nominations
- In January 2007, he won Transsexual Performer of the Year at the AVN Awards,
- In 2008, 2009, and 2010, he was nominated for Transsexual Performer of the Year. He remains the only FTM transsexual ever to have been nominated for the award as well as win this award.
- In April 2008, he was presented with a "Feminist Porn Award" for "Boundary Breaker of the Year"
- In 2012, he won the Feminist Porn Award for his groundbreaking film Sexing The Transman XXX.
- In 2012, he won Best FTM Performer of the Year at the Tranny Awards. This is the first year this award was given.
- 2004: "Buck's Beaver"
- 2005: "The Adventures of Buck Naked"
- 2005: "Cirque Noir"
- 2005: "Allanah Starr's Big Boob Adventures"
- 2006: "Buck Off"
- 2006: "V for Vagina"
- 2006: "The Buck Stops Here"
- 2007: "Even More Bang for Your Buck Vol.1"
- 2008: "Even More Bang for your Buck Vol.2"
- 2008: "Buckback Mountain"
- 2009: "Ultimate Fucking Club Vol. 1"
- 2009: "Ultimate Fucking Club Vol.2"
- 2010–12: "Sexing The Transman XXX Series"
- 2008: "NAKED"
- 2012: "Sexing the Transman"
- 2013: "Mr. Angel"
- Visco, Gerry (2006-03-29). "Porn star Buck Angel is a woman or a man or a transexual". Nypress.com. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- "Eros.Com: Eros Guide Escort directory with escort photo listings and contacts for Eros female escorts, massage, bdsm, fetish, transsexuals, shemales and more". Eros-zine.com. 2011-10-20. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- "Porn Star XXXposure – Buck Angel | Good Vibrations Magazine". 2007-05-23. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- Trifle, Cherry. "More Bang For Your Buck: It Gets Better « Acceptance « Society". Edenfantasys.com. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- Matthew, Kirsten (2011). "Buck Wild". Dirty. No. 3 (3). Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- Nichols, Jerome Stuart. "An Interview with Buck Angel – Let's Talk About Sex #2". LTASEX. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- Angel, Buck. "About Buck Angel". Retrieved 2008-07-07.[dead link]
- "Susie Bright's Journal : Buck Angel and the 100% Man Clit". Susiebright.blogs.com. 2006-09-11. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- [dead link]
- Taormino, Tristan (September 9, 2005). "Havin' Buck for Breakfast". The Village Voice. Retrieved 2006-06-10.
- Edward Mostyn. "Marc Quinn article". Guardian. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Photo from Getty Images". Daylife.com. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- . Buck Angel, Ed Powers directed documentary "NAKED". Retrieved October 28, 2008.
- "Sexing The Transman XXX". Sexingthetransman.com. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- ""Transgender porn star shares story" (February 15, 2010) ''Yale Daily News''". Yaledailynews.com. 2010-02-15. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Buck Angel ideaCity10". YouTube. 2010-07-26. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- "Buck Angel Launches Dating Site For Transgender Men – On Top Magazine | Gay news & entertainment". Ontopmag.com. 2012-09-01. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "Buck Angel: Dating Technology for the FTM". Huffingtonpost.com. 2012-08-31. Retrieved 2013-06-08.
- "AVN Awards Past Winners". Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- "FPA 2008 | Good For Her – Sex Workshops". Good For Her. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- "Elayne Angel". Skin Deep 152. 1 October 2007. Retrieved 13 November 2010.
- Buck Angel Entertainment
- Buck Angel Facebook
- Buck Angel's Twitter
- Buck Angel's YouTube
- Interview with Buck Angel on Edenfantasys
- Interview with Buck Angel by Gerry Visco for New York Press
- Buck Angel Interview in GV Weekly
- Interview video with pictures as a woman
- Interview on The Fetish Show
- Interview on LGN Show (Spanish/English)