|Born||June 5, 1972|
|Occupation||Adult film producer|
Buck Angel (born June 5, 1972) is an American trans man, adult film producer and performer, and LGBT icon. He is also founder of Buck Angel Entertainment, as a vehicle to produce media projects. He received the 2007 AVN Award as Transsexual Performer of the Year, and works as an advocate, educator, lecturer, and writer.
According to his website, Angel was a pronounced tomboy as a child and adolescent. Born in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, California, his gender atypical behavior during childhood was generally accepted at home. Once his secondary sex characteristics began to develop at around age 16, his home life became increasingly tense. After a suicidal gesture in high school, his parents sent him to therapy. It was in his therapy that he stated, for the first time, that he felt like a man. The information was not well received, and according to Angel, "They were going to put me in a mental institution." Unaware of the existence of treatments for gender dysphoria such as hormone replacement therapy, he lived for years as a female, during which time he took drugs and drank alcohol. Though he was profitably employed as a female professional model, he has stated that he was generally dissatisfied with his identity and existence, and "was not loving life."
Adult film career
Angel began to produce and star in his own line of adult films (Buck Angel Entertainment). As he had not had any genital surgery and still possessed a vulva, he created a unique niche, calling himself "The Man With a Pussy".
In 2005, he also became the first trans man to be featured in an all-male porn film produced by an exclusively gay porn company. This was the Titan release Cirque Noir. He is considered as the pioneer of an entirely new genre in gay porn films.
Also in 2005, Buck performed in Allanah Starr's Big Boob Adventures, directed by transsexual Gia Darling, which included a pornographic first: a filmed sex scene between a trans woman (Allanah Starr) and a trans man. For that performance, Allanah was nominated for two AVN Awards including Transsexual Performer of the Year and Most Outrageous Sex Scene.
In 2008, he had a lead role in Buckback Mountain that earned the film two nominations for "Best Alternative Release" and "Best Specialty Release" at the GayVN Awards.
In September 2008 he flew to London, where British artist Marc Quinn began a life-size sculpture of Angel, to be included in the sculptor's upcoming global tour. The finished sculpture has been shown all over the world.
In October 2008 Angel appeared in director Ed Powers' book NAKED about the adult film industry. He filmed a sex scene with porn star Wolf Hudson for the accompanying documentary film NAKED, produced by mainstream photographer Justin Lubin.
In 2010–12 he created an award winning series about trans male sexuality called "Sexing The Transman XXX".
Between 2006 and 2010, Angel appeared on various talk shows including Howard Stern, Tyra Banks, Maury Povich and Secret Lives of Women in the US, the Morning Show in the UK, and the Jensen Show in the Netherlands.
In 2012 Angel created a dating website for transgender men called BuckAngelDating.com. He said he did this because “there was still no special dating site catering to the unique needs of transmen.”
In 2013, Buck Angel and Jody Rose founded transgasm.org to help trans people raise the funds for sexual reassignment surgery. The project was quickly canceled amid accusations that the website was a pyramid scheme.
Awards and nominations
- In January 2007, he won Transsexual Performer of the Year at the AVN Awards,
- In 2008, 2009, and 2010, he was nominated for Transsexual Performer of the Year. He remains the only FTM transsexual ever to have been nominated for the award as well as win this award.
- In April 2008, he was presented with a "Feminist Porn Award" for "Boundary Breaker of the Year"
- In 2012, he won the Feminist Porn Award for his groundbreaking film Sexing The Transman XXX.
- In 2012, he won Best FTM Performer of the Year at the Tranny Awards. This is the first year this award was given.
- 2004: "Buck's Beaver"
- 2005: "The Adventures of Buck Naked"
- 2005: "Cirque Noir"
- 2005: "Allanah Starr's Big Boob Adventures"
- 2006: "Buck Off"
- 2006: "V for Vagina"
- 2006: "The Buck Stops Here"
- 2007: "Even More Bang for Your Buck Vol.1"
- 2008: "Even More Bang for your Buck Vol.2"
- 2008: "Buckback Mountain"
- 2009: "Ultimate Fucking Club Vol. 1"
- 2009: "Ultimate Fucking Club Vol.2"
- 2010–12: "Sexing The Transman XXX Series"
- 2008: "NAKED"
- 2012: "Sexing the Transman"
- 2013: "Mr. Angel"
- Visco, Gerry (March 29, 2006). "Porn star Buck Angel is a woman or a man or a transexual". Nypress.com. Retrieved November 7, 2011.[dead link]
- "Eros.Com: Eros Guide Escort directory with escort photo listings and contacts for Eros female escorts, massage, bdsm, fetish, transsexuals, shemales and more". Eros-zine.com. October 20, 2011. Retrieved November 7, 2011.[dead link]
- "Porn Star XXXposure – Buck Angel | Good Vibrations Magazine". May 23, 2007. Retrieved November 7, 2011.[dead link]
- Trifle, Cherry. "More Bang For Your Buck: It Gets Better « Acceptance « Society". Edenfantasys.com. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- Matthew, Kirsten (2011). "Buck Wild". Dirty. No. 3 (3). Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- Nichols, Jerome Stuart. "An Interview with Buck Angel – Let's Talk About Sex #2". LTASEX. Retrieved March 14, 2013.
- Angel, Buck. "About Buck Angel". Retrieved July 7, 2008.[dead link]
- "Susie Bright's Journal : Buck Angel and the 100% Man Clit". Susiebright.blogs.com. September 11, 2006. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- [dead link]
- Taormino, Tristan (September 9, 2005). "Havin' Buck for Breakfast". The Village Voice. Retrieved June 10, 2006.
- Edward Mostyn (November 8, 2009). "Marc Quinn article". London: Guardian. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Photo from Getty Images". Daylife.com. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- . Buck Angel, Ed Powers directed documentary "NAKED". Retrieved October 28, 2008.
- "Sexing The Transman XXX". Sexingthetransman.com. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- ""Transgender porn star shares story" (February 15, 2010) ''Yale Daily News''". Yaledailynews.com. February 15, 2010. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Buck Angel ideaCity10". YouTube. July 26, 2010. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- "Buck Angel Launches Dating Site For Transgender Men – On Top Magazine | Gay news & entertainment". Ontopmag.com. September 1, 2012. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Buck Angel: Dating Technology for the FTM". Huffingtonpost.com. August 31, 2012. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site | Advocate.com
- "AVN Awards Past Winners". Retrieved July 7, 2008.
- "FPA 2008 | Good For Her – Sex Workshops". Good For Her. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- Can Larry Wachowski really have changed sex between pictures? Damon Wise investigates | Culture | The Guardian
- El Misterio de Larry Wachowski | RollingStone Argentina
- Elliott, Stephen (January 13, 2006). "Rolling Stone Slanders The Transgender S&M Community". Huffington Post.
- "Elayne Angel". Skin Deep 152. October 1, 2007. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- Buck Angel, I met my amazing wife Elayne Angel on a site 10
- Buck Angel Entertainment
- Buck Angel Facebook
- Buck Angel's Twitter
- Buck Angel's YouTube
- Interview with Buck Angel on Edenfantasys
- Interview with Buck Angel by Gerry Visco for New York Press[dead link]
- Buck Angel Interview in GV Weekly[dead link]
- Interview video with pictures as a woman
- Interview on The Fetish Show
- Interview on LGN Show[dead link] (Spanish/English)