Buckle (clothing retailer)
The Buckle, Inc. is a retailer selling clothing, footwear, and accessories for young men and women. The Company currently operates 462 stores in 44 US states, under the names 'Buckle' and 'The Buckle'. Buckle markets brand names and private label casual apparel, including denims, other casual bottoms, tops/shirts, sportswear, outerwear, accessories and footwear.
|Public (NYSE: BKE)|
|Headquarters||Kearney, Nebraska, U.S.|
Number of locations
President and CEO
|Products||Clothing, footwear, accessories|
|Revenue||US$1.13 Billion (2014)|
|US$336 Million (2014)|
|US$163 Million (2014)|
|Total assets||US$546 Million (2014)|
|Total equity||US$362 Million (2014)|
Number of employees
Buckle began with a men's clothing store in 1948 in Kearney, Nebraska. The first store was founded by David Hirschfeld and operated under the name "Mills Clothing". His son, Dan, took over the operations in 1965. In 1967, a second store was purchased and operated under the name "Brass Buckle". At that point, the Company began selling more casual men's clothing and by the early 1970s Brass Buckle had developed into a denim-based store. In 1977, the Company introduced women's clothing.
In 1991, Brass Buckle changed its name to The Buckle, and in 1992 the Company went public on the NASDAQ where it was traded as BKLE. In 1997, The Buckle moved to the New York Stock Exchange where it now trades under the symbol, BKE.
Buckle Executive Officers
- Dan Hirschfeld leads the Company as Chairman of the Board, he has been with the Company since 1965.
- Dennis Nelson, President and Chief Executive Officer, has been with the Company for over 30 years.
- Karen Rhoads, Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer, has been with the Company for 24 years.
- Brett Milkie, V Leasing, has been with the Company for 19 years.
- Kari Smith, Vice President of Sales, has been with the Company for over 30 years.
- Patricia (Pat) Whisler, Vice President of Women's Merchandising, has been with the Company for 28 years.
- Robert Carlberg, Vice President of Men's Merchandising, has been full-time with the merchandising team since 2001.
- Kyle Hanson, Corporate Secretary and General Counsel, has been with the Company since 1998.
- Thomas Heacock, Treasurer and Corporate Controller, has been with the Company since 2003.
Buckle Board of Directors
- Dan Hirschfeld has been with the Company since 1965 and leads the company as Chairman of the Board.
- Dennis Nelson, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Buckle, Inc.
- Karen Rhoads, Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer, The Buckle, Inc.
- John Peetz, III, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Crete Carrier Corporation
- James Shada
- Bill Fairfield
- Robert Campbell, President and Operating Manager, Miller & Paine, LLC
- Bruce Hoberman, Chief Executive Officer, Proxibid, Inc.
- Michael Huss, General Counsel, Mutual of Omaha Bank and Deputy General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Mutual of Omaha Companies
- Opened 13 new stores and completed 8 full remodels, ending the fiscal year with more than 450 stores in 43 states.
- Net sales increased to $1.128 billion.
- With nearly 5.4 million pairs sold, denim represented 45.3% of 2013 net sales.
- Private label merchandise made up 34% of 2013 net sales.
Buckle markets a wide selection of denims, other casual bottoms, fashion tops, sportswear, outerwear, accessories and footwear. Buckle's private label brands include BKE, BKE Boutique, Buckle Black, Daytrip, Gimmicks, and ReClaim. Partner brands include Rock Revival, Miss Me, Hurley, Big Star, Affliction, Roar, Billabong, Silver Jeans, Fossil, and many more. With more than 5 million pairs of jeans sold in 2013, Buckle is known for offering a wide variety of denim brands, fits, details, and styles.
- "2013 Annual Report Buckle" (PDF). Corporate Buckle. The Buckle Inc. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "Income statements recent and historical for Buckle Inc (BKE)". Wikinvest. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "Our Story". Buckle Corporate. The Buckle Inc. Retrieved 29 April 2015.