Buckle (clothing retailer)
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (March 2009)|
The Buckle, Inc. is an upscale retailer selling clothing, footwear, and accessories for fashion-conscious young men and women. The Company currently operates over 450 stores in 43 states, under the names 'Buckle' and 'The Buckle'. Buckle markets a wide selection of brand names and private label casual apparel, including denims, other casual bottoms, tops/shirts, sportswear, outerwear, accessories and footwear. The Company emphasizes personalized attention to its guests (customers) and provides individual customer services such as free alterations, layaways, and a frequent shopper program. 
|Type||Public (NYSE: BKE)|
|Headquarters||Kearney, Nebraska, The USA|
|Number of locations||452 (9/2013)|
|Key people||Daniel Hirschfeld,
Founder and Chairman
President and CEO
|Products||Clothing, footwear, accessories|
|Services||clothing retail, free alterations, layaway, free gift wrap (physical store), get fitted appointments|
|Revenue||US$1 Billion (FY 2011)|
|Operating income||US$199 Million (FY 2009)|
|Net income||US$151 Million (FY 2011)|
|Total assets||US$531 Million (FY 20011)|
|Total equity||US$363 Million (FY 2011)|
|Employees||8,000 + |
Buckle began as a men's clothing store in 1948 in Kearney, Nebraska. The first store was founded by David Hirschfeld and operated under the name "Mills Clothing". His son, Dan, took over the operations in 1965. In 1967, a second store was purchased and operated under the name "Brass Buckle". At that point, the Company began selling more casual men's clothing and by the early 1970s Brass Buckle had developed into a denim-based store. In 1977, the Company introduced women's clothing. In 1991, Brass Buckle changed its name to The Buckle, and in 1992 the Company went public on the NASDAQ where it was traded as BKLE. In 1997, The Buckle moved to the New York Stock Exchange where it now trades under the symbol, BKE.
- BKE Jeans are made in Mexico.
Buckle Executive Officers
- Dan Hirschfeld leads the Company as Chairman of the Board, he has been with the Company since 1965.
- Dennis Nelson, President and Chief Executive Officer, has been with the Company for over 30 years.
- Karen Rhoads, Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer, has been with the Company for 24 years.
- Brett Milkie, V Leasing, has been with the Company for 19 years.
- Kari Smith, Vice President of Sales, has been with the Company for over 30 years.
- Patricia (Pat) Whisler, Vice President of Women's Merchandising, has been with the Company for 28 years.
- Robert Carlberg, Vice President of Men's Merchandising, has been full-time with the merchandising team since 2001.
- Kyle Hanson, Corporate Secretary and General Counsel, has been with the Company since 1998.
- Thomas Heacock, Treasurer and Corporate Controller, has been with the Company since 2003.
Buckle Board of Directors
- Dan Hirschfeld has been with the Company since 1965 and leads the company as Chairman of the Board.
- Dennis Nelson, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Buckle, Inc.
- Karen Rhoads, Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer, The Buckle, Inc.
- John Peetz, III, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Crete Carrier Corporation
- James Shada
- Bill Fairfield
- Robert Campbell, President and Operating Manager, Miller & Paine, LLC
- Bruce Hoberman, Chief Executive Officer, Proxibid, Inc.
- Michael Huss, General Counsel, Mutual of Omaha Bank and Deputy General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Mutual of Omaha Companies
- Opened 10 new stores and completed 21 full remodels and 20 smaller remodeling projects; to end the fiscal year with 440 stores in 43 states.
- Net sales increased 5.7% to $1.124 billion.
- Average sales per square foot increased from $462 in 2011 to $475 in 2012.
- Total denim sales increased for the 13th consecutive year, reaching over five million pairs of jeans sold.
- Improved merchandise margins for the 11th consecutive year and achieved gross margins of 44.4%, as a percentage of net sales in fiscal 2012.
Buckle markets a wide selection of brand names and private label casual clothing, including denims, other casual bottoms, fashion tops, sportswear, outerwear, accessories and footwear.
The main women's and men's brands found at Buckle are BKE, Miss Me and Rock Revival. These jeans typically have intricate multicolored stitching and/or rhinestones on the back pockets. The stitching on these jeans is thicker than that on a pair of plain jeans.
Screen Printing Service
- Buckle on Myspace
- THE BUCKLE, INC. REPORTS QUARTERLY DIVIDEND
- Buckle Inc (BKE) annual SEC income statement filing via Wikinvest
- Buckle Inc (BKE) annual SEC balance sheet filing via Wikinvest
- "Buckle 2010 Annual Report" (PDF).
- Buckle 2012 Annual Report
- Buckle Corporate Website
- Buckle Corporate Office, Lydia Pierson and Callie Metz