|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
|State||Jammu and Kashmir|
|• Total||1,370 km2 (530 sq mi)|
|• Density||537/km2 (1,390/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||1.13250283 ♂/♀|
Budgam district came into existence in 1979, prior to which it was part of Srinagar district. In the olden days, Budgam was a part of district Baramulla, when Srinagar itself was a constituent of the Anantnag district. It was then known as tehsil Sri Pratap. Historical record suggests that Budgam was also referred to as Pargana Deesu. According to a well-known chronicler - Khawaja Azam Demari - the area was also known as Deedmarbag. District Budgam borders four other Districts--- Baramullah and Srinagar in north, Pulwama in south and Poonch border in south west .Budgam district consists of 8 blocks: Beerwah, Nagam, Budgam, B.K.Pora, Khan Sahib, Khag, Narbal and Chadoora. Each block consists of a number of panchayats. Budgam district is subdivided into five tehsils: Charari Sharief Tehsil, Beerwah Tehsil, Budgam Tehsil, Chadoora Tehsil, and Khansahib Tehsil.
According to the 2011 census Badgam district has a population of 735,753, roughly equal to the nation of Guyana or the US state of Alaska, making it 494th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 537 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,390 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 21.18%. Badgam has a sex ratio of 883 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 57.98%., an increase from 39.54% in 2001. This is attributed to educational institutions in the district. There are 98 schools in Budgam, both private and public, 33 of which are Higher Secondary Schools. Budgam has one government degree college, near Paller Village. The main school which has contributed alot in increasing the literacy rate of budgam district is R.M.P. Higher Secondary School Budgam Kashmir which is one of the Leading, Renowned and Reputed Higher Secondary School in the Kashmir Valley. RMP HSS Budgam has contributed a lot in increasing the literacy rate of Budgam district since 1990, and finally, it has achieved its mission by producing I.A.S. Officers, Doctors, Engineers, Journalists, Lawyers and Successful Entrepreneurs. The school is providing education from Nursery to 12th class having all streams Medical, Non-Medical, Arts and Commerce. RMP Higher Secondary School Budgam has shown 100% results since its establishment. It was established in 1990 by the renowned personality Mr. Noor Mohammad Wani (M.Sc Mathematics). He has contributed a lot in developing the budgam district since 1990. He has won so many International and National Awards. One of the Prestigious Award given by the then Chief Minister of J&K State, Jenab Ghulam Nabi Azad,in the year 2006 "Gandhian Award 2006" to Mr Noor Mohammad Wani at S.K.I.C.C. Srinagar (J&K). R.M.P. Higher Secondary School Budgam Kashmir is one of the Best School in J&K State. It has always shown outstanding performance. Maximum toppers are always from RMP HSS Budgam in J&K BOSE Exams.
Budgam contains the only airport in Kashmir valley. The district's main tourist attractions are Doodhpathri, Yusmarg, Tosamaidan, Nilnag, Mt Tatakuti, and Pehjan.District Budgam offers many stunning locales and has tremendous tourism potential that has largely remained untapped so far. The attractive places that can be visited are Doodpather, Yousmarg, Tosmaidan, Nilnag and Khag. Kani shawl adomed the caesar's court and was looked upon by Mughals and later by Nawabs as mark of nobility. In 1776 Napoleon presented a Kani shawl to his wife Josephine and with that took off a new fashion trend in Europe The revered shrine of Sheikh Noor-ud-din Wali can also be found in the Charari Sharief Tehsil of Budgam district.Worlds biggest chinar is in District Budam (Chatergam)
Aga Syed Yusuf Al-Moosavi Al-Safavi is President of Jammu And Kashmir Anjuman Sharie shian. He is considered a moderate and has called for an end to violence in the region. He runs many charity programs, undertaking social reform and universal education.
Sir Syed Sani Mawlana Syed Ali Shah Bukhari (born 30 November 1914) also known as Sir Syed Kashmir and Mirwaiz (Mir-Head; Waiz-Priest), Musleh Milat, a religious and political leader from Jammu & Kashmir,was associated with politics, as a means of helping his area to come up in socio-economic developmental works. He founded Anjuman Mazhar ul Haq .He was a great moderate leader. He contested elections for Assembly twice in 1957 and 1977, once for constituency Beerwah and other for constituency Budgam one on behalf of National Conference (a political party in Kashmir) and one on behalf of Janata Party (a political party in capital New Delhi).   
- Statement showing the number of blocks in respect of 22 Districts of Jammu and Kashmir State including newly Created Districts dated 2008-03-13, accessed 2008-08-30
- "ERO's and AERO's". Chief Electoral Officer, Jammu and Kashmir. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Guyana 744,768"
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30. " Alaska 710,231"
- Behnegarsoft.com (2012-09-09). "Taqribnews (TNA) - Daylong Hajj conference held in Kashmir". Taghribnews.com. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- Behnegarsoft.com (2012-09-22). "Taqribnews (TNA) - Protests Against Anti-Islam Film Rock Kashmir". Taghribnews.com. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "Pairwan-e-Vilayat conference pitches for unity among Muslims". Dailykashmirimages.com. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "Beerwah Assembly Election 1977, Jammu & Kashmir". Empoweringindia.org. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "Making democracy meaningful, Know our Representative & Candidate". Empowering India. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "Budgam â€" This Central Kashmir district has 5 segments, 3,83,914 voters - Early Times Newspaper Jammu Kashmir". Earlytimesnews.com. 2008-12-07. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
-  List of places in Badgam