|Format||Drama, Family, Advocacy|
|Written by||Philip T. King
|Directed by||Ruel S. Bayani
Claudio "Tots" Sanchez-Mariscal IV
|Opening theme||"Saan Darating Ang Umaga?"
by Angeline Quinto
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||110|
|Executive producer(s)||Eileen Angela Garcia|
|Running time||30–45 minutes|
|Picture format||NTSC (480i)|
|Original run||October 10, 2011– March 9, 2012|
It tackles the story of Budoy, who is mentally challenged, and his family, relationships and social issues. It topbills Gerald Anderson, Jessy Mendiola and Enrique Gil. The theme song was "Saan Darating Ang Umaga" sung by Angeline Quinto produced by Jonathan Manalo.
The show premiered on October 10, 2011 and ended on March 9, 2012 with the new primetime drama series Dahil Sa Pag-ibig (lit. Because of Love) taking its place the following week. The show is notable for the main character's catchphrases such as "Hello, ako Budoy!" (Hello, I'm Budoy) and "Jackie, gusto mo BJ?" (Jackie, you like BJ?), with the latter phrase being mistaken as a double-meaning line.
The story is about a well-renowned family of doctors, the Maniegos. Bound to success but with no child, Dr. Anton Maniego performs an artificial insemination on his wife Luisa. She gives birth to their child "Budoy". Budoy's birth is a family blessing, but later on turns into the family in shame when they discover that Budoy is suffering from Angelman syndrome, which delays his intellectual development. Predicaments arise against Luisa, who becomes very protective of Budoy and the rest of the Maniego family. On Budoy's fifth birthday, he goes 'missing' after his grandmother gave him to a caretaker to save their family from shame. After Budoy's caretaker dies, Elroy aker's hired maid for Budoy, adopts him. Meanwhile, to save Luisa's sanity, Grace, the wife of her brother-in-law, suggests to their family to present a fake Benjamin. Unbeknownst to them, the fake Benjamin "BJ" is in fact Grace's son.
Years later, Junjun is recently moved out of his other home with his guardian Elena. They later live with her father Renato and Budoy befriends Max. He works at university and finds his old friend Jackie and befriends BJ. Budoy learns that the school is going to kick him out because of an accident. So, at a party in BJ's house, Budoy speaks with people who work for BJ's father's company to give some money to donate so he can be able to go to college. Everything starts to be fine until BJ bragging that he and Jackie did it. Then they get accepted to Pilipinas IQ, a game show, so the school for special children can be built. They win, but Jackie is still upset with BJ. After they exit the game show, it starts raining. Jackie tries to run away from BJ since he wants to apologize. Budoy, who went to see the game show, followed them and tried to stop BJ from hurting Jackie. BJ hits Budoy knocking him out, and leaves him. Thunderstorms start growling, and Budoy later wakes up. He tries to find them but ends up falling and rolling down a hill. Then, his foot gets zapped and hits his head in a rock.
Weeks later, he luckily survives, but the Maniegos already figured out that Budoy was their real son and BJ isn't. This makes them more associated with Budoy, especially Jackie. Budoy starts recovering from Angelman syndrome, for example, looking directly and sometimes talking normally. Meanwhile, BJ gets in a car accident, but survives. He starts getting upset about the fact that Budoy keeps receiving the love of his parents. With Budoy out of the hospital, his parents decide that he would live with them. The more they are with Budoy, the more upset BJ gets. One day Budoy wanted to play with BJ, he started getting angry, throwing his beer causing a fire. Budoy starts panicking and later goes into a temporary state where he is focused. He gets a fire extinguisher and stopped the fire. BJ tried to talk to him and Budoy replied in a regular voice, then BJ knew he was starting to change. In order to uprise BJ's familial and academic bases, BJ and his biological mother, Grace devised plans to exile Budoy in the Maniego University and that's the start of secretive strategic battle of Budoy and BJ. Budoy decides to find BJ's mother with the help of his father's private ivestigator. Grace figures out and destroys Budoy's plan. BJ had enough of Budoy stealing everything, he intends to jump out of a building until he finds out the truth about his mother. Grace tells the truth that she is BJ's biological mother and kept the two a secret. His father tells him that his mother was dead. Budoy's intellectual capacity started to increase to that of a genius. He even got accepted to Pilipinas IQ when one of the participant from their college backed out. Budoy confessed his love to Jackie and they started a relationship. BJ continue to harness his hatred towards Budoy. Every plans he made to embarrass Budoy failed.
As the story goes, BJ realized that his father is still alive. He met Henry Chavez, an ex-convict and later a fugitive. BJ spends some time with his father and they set things up to pretend it to be a failed kidnap attempt for BJ to get back to the Maniegos while Henry conveys a plan to steal fortune from the Maniegos and get BJ and Grace to his side. As the series progresses, Budoy suffers from a severe headache which later turns out to be a brain tumor and he also investigates his kidnapping when he was 5 years old. The suspects include his godmother and father. Later, Budoy and his mother were shot while chasing Henry Chavez. Budoy returns to his old abnormal self, while Luisa cannot speak. During the trial, his grandmother admitted that she was the mastermind of Budoy's abduction and was sentenced to lifetime imprisonment while the Maniego brothers were imprisoned only for 6 months for obstruction of justice. The entire clan was freed, eventually Luisa also recovered from her injury. In the grass, Jackie was attacked by a snake. Budoy attacked the snake and at the same time, called BJ for help. At the hospital, Budoy witnessed BJ kissing Jackie which made him upset. Budoy, then underwent brain surgery and survived. BJ also apologizes for all the times he threatens Budoy after the surgery. During his birthday, Budoy, who finally accepts BJ as Jackie's boyfriend again, sets up their proposal during his birthday. Suddenly, Grace ruins the moment as she points the gun at Budoy. Jackie married BJ and gave birth to a son named Benjo, and Budoy was one of the sponsors (godfathers). BJ became a doctor of the Maniego Hospital. Eventually, a group of syndicates led by Duke abducted BJ and Jackie, who were eventually killed by a gunshot and Budoy promised to raise their son. Duke, in the other hand was killed by Grace. While Budoy was building as special school for children, Grace once again ruins the moment, as she abducted her own grandson and this time, she became very insane and claims that Benjo is BJ. In the end, Budoy provided education for mentally challenged children. When now, Budoy is became to wished as a former catholic priest of the Roman Catholic Church is became as Fr. Budoy also known as Reverend Father Benjamin Maniego S.J.
Cast and characters
- Gerald Anderson as Benjamin "Budoy" Maniego/Dizon, The main protagonist of the series. Born from a wealthy family of doctors, suffering from Angelman syndrome (caused by the failed IVF procedure by his own father), after less than 2 weeks of hospitalization he starts giving a blank stare. A stare that gives off the impression that his mental capability is improving since his accident. He is childhood bestfriends with Jackie and has a crush on her. He is also bestfriends with Jackie's ex-boyfriend (and later husband) BJ, although they have been in bad terms. In the end, they (Budoy and BJ) reconciled each other and finally accepted BJ to propose Jackie during his birthday. He suffered from severe brain tumor which he named "Tom-Tom", but his operation was successful. He is also the godfather of Jackie and BJ's baby Benjo. In the end, he provided education for mentally challenged children like him and raised Benjo as his son in response to BJ and Jackie's wish before they died. He became as a priest of the Roman Catholic Church and is known as Rev. Fr. Benjamin Maniego S.J. or Father Budoy.
- Jessy Mendiola as Jacqueline "Jackie" Marasigan-Maniego, Budoy's childhood bestfriend and first girlfriend. She later becomes the wife of BJ where they have a son named Benjo. She is killed after being shot by Duke, a hitman.
- Enrique Gil as Benjamin "BJ" Maniego/Dimalanta/Chavez, Budoy's ex-bestfriend, foster brother and the anti-hero of the series. He is now became the opposer of Budoy when he knows his real status on the Maniego family. He is the son of Grace and Henry and later husband of Jackie where they have a son named Benjo (Benjamin Maniego Jr.). He is killed after being shot by Duke having a deal where if Duke shoots him, he has to spare his family, which fails.
- Janice de Belen as Elena Dizon, Budoy's adoptive mother and guardian
- Tirso Cruz III as Dr. Anton Maniego, an obstetrician & gynecologist, husband of Luisa and father of Budoy, and the adoptive grandfather of Benjo.
- Zsa Zsa Padilla as Luisa Maniego, Anton's former secretary and current wife and the biological mother of Budoy and the adoptive grandmother of Benjo
- Christian Vasquez as Dr. Isaac Maniego, a general pediatrician, youngest brother of Anton, the godfather of Budoy, granduncle of Benjo and husband of Grace.
- Mylene Dizon as Dr. Grace Maniego, a neurosurgeon and Isaac's wife. Also BJ's biological mother and Budoy's evil godmother and the paternal grandmother of Benjo Maniego. She planned to kill Budoy as a (sarcastic) birthday greeting
- Barbara Perez as Dr. Alberta Maniego, a thoracic & cardiovascular surgeon, Anton and Isaac's mother, and Benjamin "Budoy's" grandmother and Benjo's adoptive great-grandaunt. She is sentenced to reclusion perpetua for kidnapping her own grandson, Budoy when he was a child but eventually freed (along with the rest of the Maniego clan).
- Dante Rivero as Renato Dizon, Elena's father and Budoy's adoptive grandfather who help in taking care of him.
- Gloria Sevilla as Coring, Max's grandmother.
- Mel Kimura as Myra, friend of Luisa
- Clarence Delgado as Max, grandchild of Coring and the bestfriend of Budoy
- Malou Crisologo as Susan, secretary of Anton
- Anna Abad-Santos as Margaret Marasigan, Jackie's mother and Benjo's maternal grandmother and BJ's mother-in-law, she doesn't approve Budoy or BJ to be Jackie's boyfriend. She told her last words to Budoy that Jackie and BJ were kidnapped by the syndicates led by Duke.
- Bong Regala as Rico Fernando, friend of Anton
- Bryan Termulo as Sam, friend and schoolmate of BJ
- Greggy Santos as Ryan, friend and schoolmate of BJ
- Ralph John Celis as Marcus, friend and schoolmate of BJ
- Cris Villanueva as Henry Chavez, BJ's biological father, Benjo's biological grandfather and the leader of syndicate but gets shot and dies.
- Young JV as Captain of Cheering Squad
- Lui Manansala as Dr. Velez
- Michael Conan as Brando, Luisa's bodyguard
- Arlene Muhlach as Jenny "Jinggay", Budoy's former caretaker until she dies of heart attack.
- Jason Gainza as Kiko, former janitor and now a supervisor
- Allan Paule as Carlos Santiago, Elena's husband
- Dale Baldillo as Young Budoy
- Giacobbe Whitworth as Young Budoy (5 years old)
- Andrea Brillantes as Young Jackie
- Omar Hassan as Young Benjamin
- Carmen Soo as Young Margaret
- Mikel Campos as Pilipinas IQ Staff
- Marvin Yap as JM
- Stella Cañete as Carla
- Paolo O'Hara as Jun
- Raymund Concepcion as Pilipinas IQ Host
- Fonz Deza as Jose Pelaez
- Perry Escaño as Julio
- Elaine Quemuel as Tess
- Miles Canapi as Anna
- Roeder as Jimmy
- Chris Raven De Guzman as Benjo Marasigan-Maniego, son of BJ and Jackie raised by his godparent Budoy when his parents died. He is also the grandson of Grace Maniego.
Budoy's pilot episode garnered an impressive rating of 27.2% nationwide behind perrenial top-rater 100 Days to Heaven according to the October 10 data released by Kantar Media-TNS survey whereas it premiered with a rating of 19.4% in the GMA dominated area from a data by AGB Nielsen Mega Manila survey. Budoy has been neck-to-neck with GMA's Munting Heredera in GMA's stronghold of Mega Manila.
On the national ratings scale, the show's highest rating so far is a 32.4% national household rating (against its rival's 19.8%) on November 22, 2011 by Kantar Media/TNS.
On AGB Nielsen Mega Manila People & Household Ratings; the show's final episode, it garnered a 13.9% rating beating its rival show Legacy (GMA-7) who got 12.6%. Over-all the show became the second most watched show of the day behind Walang Hanggan.
- The theme song entitled "Saan Darating Ang Umaga" sung by Angeline Quinto was used eight years ago from the teleserye Darating ang Umaga and the theme song was "Saan Darating Ang Umaga" sung by Vina Morales. It is later used in the GMA drama Pyra: Ang Babaeng Apoy.
- In 2008, the song "Saan Darating ang Umaga?" was also became a theme song for the afternoon drama of the same title aired on GMA Network. It was performed by Yasmien Kurdi.
- This is Gerald Anderson's second TV series where his head was shaved. The first one being Tayong Dalawa in 2009 opposite Kim Chiu, where Gerald played a role of a soldier turned temporary prisoner.
- This is also Zsa Zsa Padilla's second portrayal as Gerald Anderson's mother. The first one was in the movie Paano Na Kaya? in 2010 opposite Kim Chiu and Melissa Ricks.
- The second time Gerald Anderson portrays a man who is mentally challenged. The first one being in MMK episode Lubid where he portrayed Jerome Concepcion, a man with Tourette Syndrome on November 7, 2009.
- Budoy and Benjo were abducted by their respective grandmothers at the age of 5. In the opening, Budoy was abducted (as planned by Dra. Alberta Maniego)during his 5th birthday. While Benjo was abducted by (an insane) Dra. Grace Maniego while building Budoy's first special school in the final episode due to the fact that she lost her sanity after BJ's death.
- There is an Easter egg in the final episode where a cockroach is seen crawling behind Budoy in the final episode.
- The second time Gerald Anderson's leading lady dies. The first time was in Tayong Dalawa, where Kim Chiu dies after giving birth to her son with Gerald in the drama. In Sana Maulit Muli, Kim Chiu dies in a bus accident until Gerald was given another chance to turn back time and when the incident happened again, he saved Kim from the bus.
- The orchestrated chorus of the theme song was played in the final episode.
- After "Budoy" had its final episode, Tirso Cruz III appeared as a guest in the TV5 remake of Valiente. It is noted that he played the main antagonist, Theo Braganza in the original version way back in 1992 on ABS-CBN and GMA. However, he returned to ABS-CBN for the finale episode of Lorenzo's Time as the old version of Manuel Montereal, Lorenzo's father. He also returned as the cruel father of Roxanne and Ruth (eventually revealed to be his granddaughter) in the 2013 drama series Kailangan Ko'y Ikaw.
- In the ending credits of the final episode, it is revealed in one of the bloopers that Gerald Anderson is afraid of snakes.
The show has gained criticism and controversy in regards to the main character's depiction as a person with Angelman syndrome. Special education expert Yolanda Bautista and pediatrician Dr. Tippy Tanchanco, have observed some inconsistencies and factual inaccuracies in the protagonist, especially when he got out of a coma after suffering from an accident, as he was shown to be able to speak clearly, and at one point, become a genius. They also stressed that for the producers to brand the show as an "advocacy-serye", they shouldn't deviate from reality and refrain from adding any "cinematic effects", as it might give parents a misleading message.
The show also gained some stir among online communities as the portrayal of Gerald Anderson of Budoy is somewhat similar to Leonardo DiCaprio's character Arnie in the movie What's Eating Gilbert Grape with Johnny Depp.
Awards and nominations
|2012||34th Catholic Mass Media Awards||Best Drama Series||Cast and crew||Won|
|2013||2013 New York Television and Film Festivals||Best Drama Series||Cast And Crew||Nominated|
|Country||Alternate Title/Translation||TV network(s)||Series Broadcast||Weekly Schedule||Times|
|Malaysia||Budoy||Astro Bella||October 2012 – present||Monday to Friday||8:00 PM|
|Japan||Budoy||TV Tokyo||June 2013||Monday to Friday||10:00 PM|
- Darating ang Umaga
- Saan Darating Ang Umaga?
- Pyra: Ang Babaeng Apoy
- List of programs broadcast by ABS-CBN Corporation
- List of dramas of ABS-CBN Corporation
- "Gerald Anderson is Budoy, a child suffering from Angel Syndrome". Philippine Entertainment Portal. 16 September 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- Gerald Anderson's Budoy premieres on Monday retrieved via www.abs-cbn.com 10-08-2011
- Gerald Anderson returns to Primetime Bida as Budoy retrieved via www.abs-cbn.com 09-19-2011
- Gerald Anderson loses 15 lbs for Budoy retrieved via www.abs-cbnnews.com 08-07-2011
- Gerald finds deeper meaning of life in Budoy (Video) retrieved via www.abs-cbnnews.com 10-07-2011
- Gerald finds his dream role in Budoy retrieved via www.abs-cbnnews.com 10-10-2011
- Jessy Mendiola on a possible romance with Gerald Anderson: Ang bilis naman, wala pa ngang taping retrieved via www.push.com.ph 08-05-2011
- After sexy Sabel, Jessy Mendiola plays good girl role retrieved via www.abs-cbnnews.com 09-20-2011
- Enrique Gil: Gusto ko kapag meron akong girfriend, paninindigan ko retrieved via www.push.com.ph 08-17-2011
- "With @angelinequinto, taken during our recording session of "Saan Darating Ang Umaga" theme song of "budoy"". September 15, 2011.
- Janice de Belen returns to ABS-CBN
- Janice de Belen thrilled over Budoy retrieved via www.abs-cbnnews.com 10-02-2011
- Barbara Perez makes TV comeback via Budoy retrieved via www.abs-cbnnews.com 10-11-2011
- Santiago, Erwin. "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila People & Household Ratings (Dec. 2-5): Amaya and Budoy share primetime lead; Eat Bulaga! uncontested leader in daytime". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 12/11/11.
- Santiago, Erwin. "Kantar Media-TNS National Household Ratings (Nov. 22-27): Budoy and Ikaw Ay Pag-ibig top weekday primetime; KC Concepcion interview on The Buzz rule Sunday daytime". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 12/10/11.
- "AGB Nielsen Mega Manila People & Household Ratings (March 9–12): Walang Hanggan remains on top; GMA-7 rules weekend viewing". Pep.ph. March 9–12, 2012.
- Garcia, Angelo (16 January 2012). "Is Budoy sending the wrong signals?". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 18 January 2012.
- ABS-CBN rules 34th Catholic Mass Media Awards