Roca Encantada House
Map of Guimaras with Buenavista highlighted
|Region||Western Visayas (Region VI)|
|• Mayor||Samuel T. Gumarin|
|• Total||128.26 km2 (49.52 sq mi)|
|• Density||360/km2 (940/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Buenavista is located at the northern tip of Guimaras Island, and is one of the five towns comprising the province of Guimaras. The northern and northwest part of the town overlooks Panay Island and the northeast portion faces Negros Island. Iloilo Strait lies between the town and Panay, and Guimaras Strait lies between the town and Negros. The McArthur wharf serves as the municipal wharf for Buenavista and part of San Lorenzo is used by passengers from the neighboring Panay Island in going to Negros Province and vice versa. This transportation route serves as a cheaper link, rather than taking a ship.
Buenavista's terrain ranges from plains (nearly level in the central and northwest coastal areas) to mountains (northwestern part). The climate is mild and cool, due to its being bounded by the sea on the three directions.
- Bacjao (Calumingan)
- East Valencia (Mantangingi)
- Getulio (Ili)
- New Poblacion (Calingao)
- Old Poblacion (Daan Banwa)
- Salvacion (Ambulong)
- San Fernando
- San Isidro
- San Miguel
- San Nicolas (Tabao)
- San Pedro (Bating)
- San Roque
- Santo Rosario
Buenavista is the oldest municipality on Guimaras. It was established in 1775, during the Spanish colonial period. A Spanish governor general was reputedly impressed by the scenery of the location, and called the place Buenavista, Spanish for "beautiful view".
Santo Rosario was formerly known as Baybay, while Salvacion's old name was Ambulong.
|Population census of Buenavista|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Buenavista is the center of higher education. In fact, the main campus of Guimaras State College, only state college in Guimaras, is found in Brgy. Mclain. Furthermore, the municipality has 19 public elementary schools, 5 public high schools, and 1 vocational technical school. It has a literacy rate of 98.4%, the highest in the whole of Guimaras.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Province: Guimaras". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Buenavista: Brief History and Profile". Province of Guimaras. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
||Leganes, Iloilo / Iloilo Strait||Zarraga / Dumangas, Iloilo
|Iloilo City / Iloilo Strait||Guimaras Strait|