|Single by Neneh Cherry|
|from the album Raw Like Sushi|
|Genre||Hip hop, dance-pop, freestyle|
|Length||5:42 (full-length version)
4:07 (7" edit)
|Writer(s)||Neneh Cherry, Cameron McVey, Jamie Morgan, Phillip Ramacon|
|Producer(s)||Tim Simenon ("Bomb the Bass") and Mark Saunders|
|Neneh Cherry singles chronology|
An early version of the song appeared as the B-side on the 1986 Stock, Aitken, and Waterman-produced single "Looking Good Diving" by duo Morgan-McVey, which was made up of Jamie Morgan and Cherry's future husband, Cameron McVey. The song, titled "Looking Good Diving with the Wild Bunch," was sung by Cherry. Cherry also appears in the video of the song, playing guitar.
Background and context
The song title refers to Buffalo, a group of photographers, models, musicians, hair and makeup artists, etc. formed by fashion stylist Ray Petri, of whom Cherry, Morgan and McVey were all members. Such a "stance" would be to stand like a person or group of people that are posing for a photo shoot in a London fashion magazine.
The song's name is also a reference to Malcolm McLaren's 1983 song "Buffalo Gals," which "Buffalo Stance" samples. Other samples came from Rock Steady Crew's "Are You Ready?", and the saxophone break is from the band Miami's 1974 song "Chicken Yellow."
The song was written and composed for Cherry's boyfriend at the time, Esteban Caudillo. Cherry gave him the nickname "Che" because he frequently quoted Che Guevara and talked constantly about revolutionary topics. Thus, Cherry's original lyrics were:
"Who's looking good today? Che's looking good in every way."
After their breakup, she removed this reference to him.
The reference to "his crocodile feet" was Cherry's teasing reference to Che's ever present Lacoste tennis shoes, which he even wore with business suits and tuxedoes.
The following lyrics were from a Valentine's Day poem Che wrote for Cherry:
"Wind on my face, sound in my ears
Water from my eyes, and you on my mind
As I sink, diving down deep deeper into your soul."
The two eventually split due to Cherry's belief that Che was too materialistic and loved money more than her, which was the inspiration for the lyrics:
"No moneyman can win my love
It's sweetness that I'm thinking of."
Tim Simenon, also called "Bomb the Bass," was asked to help with the reworking of the song. Cherry pays homage to Simenon during the song's breaks with "Yeah, Timmy! Tell it like it is!" and "Bomb the Bass, rock this place!"
Cherry notably performed the song live on Top of the Pops while seven months pregnant. When asked by a reporter if it was safe for her to go up on stage performing, Cherry answered, "Yes, of course! It's not an illness."
Unlike most singles it was released as a 3-inch CD single, a format which has more or less disappeared.
- "Buffalo Stance (Extended Mix)" – 5:43
- "Buffalo Stance (Scratchapella)" – 1:38
- "Buffalo Stance (Electro Ski)" – 3:38
- "Give Me a Muthufucking Break Beat (Sukka Mix)" – 5:19
This song, as well as being her debut hit, was Cherry's international breakthrough, reaching #3 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, #3 on the UK Singles Chart, and #1 on the U.S. Hot Dance Club Play chart.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||7|
|Canadian Top Singles (RPM)||3|
|Canadian Dance/Urban Singles (RPM)||1|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||2|
|Ireland (Irish Singles Chart)||7|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||1|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||1|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||14|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||2|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||3|
|US Billboard Hot 100||3|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||30|
- 7" Mix (Mark Saunders, Tim Simenon) – 4:07
- 12" Mix – 5:43
Remixes and covers
- Give Me A Muthufucking Break Beat/Sukka Mix – 5:19
- There's Nothing Wrong Mix/ Sukka Mix II (The Dynamik Duo & DJ Mushroom) – 5:30
- Electro Ski Mix (Mark Saunders, Tim Simenon) – 3:35
- Extended Mix
- Scratchapella – 1:41
- 1/2 Way 2 House Mix (Arthur Baker) – 7:44
- Nearly Neuebeat (Arthur Baker) – 7:06
- Kevin Saunderson's Techno Stance Mix I (Kevin Saunderson) – 6:41
- Kevin Saunderson's Techno Stance Mix II (Kevin Saunderson) – 5:17
- Instrumental – 5:41
- Fast Pop Mix (Arthur Baker) – 5:41
- Cosmic Re-Edit 2004 – 3:35
- Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Could See N. Cherry vs Busta Rhymes (Pop Chop) – 4:26
- Buffalo Stance vs Brimful Of Asha N. Cherry vs Cornershop (Soulwax)
- DJ Rock Your Buffalo Body N. Cherry vs Justin Timberlake (DJ Jonny Moiree)
The song was also featured on the soundtrack of the videogame Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City. Westlife performed the song on the medley part of their Where the Dreams Come True Tour. It was featured in the movie Slaves of New York, which starred Bernadette Peters and directed by James Ivory. Swedish electroclash group Alice in Videoland covered the track on their 2011 album, A Million Thoughts and They're All About You.
- Flett, Kathryn (17 September 2000). "Style: Ray Petri". The Observer (London). Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- Hitlåtens historia, "Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance," Sveriges Television, 3 January 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – Neneh Cherry – Buffalo Stance". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Neneh Cherry – Buffalo Stance" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Top Singles - Volume 50, No. 11, July 10, 1989". RPM. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- "Dance/Urban - Volume 50, No. 3, May 15, 1989". RPM. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- "Chartverfulgong > Cherry,Neneh > Buffalo Stance – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Irish Singles Chart – Search for song". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 8, 1989" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Neneh Cherry – Buffalo Stance" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Neneh Cherry – Buffalo Stance". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Neneh Cherry – Buffalo Stance". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Neneh Cherry – Buffalo Stance". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Neneh Cherry – Buffalo Stance". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 1989-01-14" UK Singles Chart.
- "Neneh Cherry Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Neneh Cherry.
- "Neneh Cherry Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Neneh Cherry.
- "Neneh Cherry Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Neneh Cherry.
- Neneh Cherry Online retrieved April 4, 2008
"Like a Prayer" by Madonna
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
April 29, 1989
"Real Love" by Jody Watley