Buffy (Bulgarian: Бъфи and Russian: Баффи) is a male dog, owned as a pet by the Russian President Vladimir Putin. The dog was given to Putin, then prime minister, by then Bulgarian prime minister Boyko Borisov during a visit in Sofia on 13 November 2010.
Buffy was ten-weeks old when he was given to Putin. He was born in Boyko Borisov's personal nursery in August 2010 under the name Yorgo. He was the oldest of ten-puppy litter - nine males and one female. He was then renamed Ares after the Greek god of war.
Buffy's first home in Russia was Putin’s country residence, Novo-Ogaryovo. After getting the unexpected present, Vladimir Putin announced a contest for a new name of the puppy. Putin received thousands of letters, most proposing names, linked with Bulgaria, such as Balkan or Sofia. The winner was 5-years old Dima Sokolov, who proposed the name Buffy. Russia requested a female partner for Buffy, who was called Yantra after a river in Bulgaria.
- "New premier pet". RT. 14 November 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Vladimir Putin and Buffy, his cute little Alpha dog". The Daily Mail. 13 December 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Wanted: name for Putin’s new pet". RT. 17 November 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Putin seeks citizens’ help in choosing puppy’s name". RT. 16 November 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- Официален сайт на премира на Русия, "Россияне живо откликнулись на предложение помочь в выборе клички для нового питомца Премьера"
- Новината на официалния сайт на руския премиер
- "Five-year-old boy chooses name for Putin’s pet". RT. 10 December 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- в-к "24 часа"