Buffy (Bulgarian: Бъфи and Russian: Баффи) is a male dog, owned as a pet by the Russian President Vladimir Putin. The dog was given to Putin, then prime minister, by then Bulgarian prime minister Boyko Borisov during a visit in Sofia on 13 November 2010.
Buffy was ten-weeks old when he was given to Putin. He was born in Boyko Borisov's personal nursery in August 2010 under the name Yorgo. He was the oldest of ten-puppy litter - nine males and one female. He was then renamed Ares after the Greek god of war.
Putin admitted that the present was a complete unexpectedness for him. Buffy's first home in Russia was Putin’s country residence, Novo-Ogaryovo. After getting the unexpected present, Vladimir Putin announced a contest for a new name of the puppy. Putin received thousands of letters, most proposing names, linked with Bulgaria, such as Balkan or Sofia. The winner was 5-years old Dima Sokolov, who proposed the name Buffy. Thereupon President Putin invited Dima Sokolov and his family to Novo Oraryovo, where the boy played with Buffy while the President had a conversation with his parents. Russia requested a female partner for Buffy, who was called Yantra after a river in Bulgaria.
President Putin described Buffy’s character as persevering (Russian: настырный). He recounts that Koni’s attitude towards Buffy was benevolent, however Buffy sometimes pulls Koni by the ears. Koni responds with patient composure. Presidential Press Attaché Dmitry Peskov described Koni’s interaction with Buffy (and with the President’s other dog, Yume) by virtue of her 13 years as complicated.
- "New premier pet". RT. 14 November 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Vladimir Putin and Buffy, his cute little Alpha dog". The Daily Mail. 13 December 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Wanted: name for Putin’s new pet". RT. 17 November 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- Владимир Путин вывел на прогулку Баффи и Юмэ, Vladimir Putin goes out for a walk with Buffy and Yume, Komsomolskaya Pravda, 10 April 2013
- "Putin seeks citizens’ help in choosing puppy’s name". RT. 16 November 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- Официален сайт на премира на Русия, "Россияне живо откликнулись на предложение помочь в выборе клички для нового питомца Премьера"
- Новината на официалния сайт на руския премиер
- "Five-year-old boy chooses name for Putin’s pet". RT. 10 December 2010. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- Путин назвал болгарского щенка Баффи, Putin called the Bulgarian puppy Buffy, Komsomolskaya Pravda, 11 December 2010
- в-к "24 часа"
- Дмитрий Песков – «КП»: «Кони на президента не в обиде. Он с ней тоже проводит время», Dmitry Peskov: Koni is not resentful against the President. He spends time with her as well, Komsomolskaya Pravda, 11 April 2013