|Production||April 11, 2007–present|
|Assembly||Lansing Delta Township Assembly
Delta Township, Michigan, United States
Shanghai, China(Shanghai GM)
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Full-size luxury crossover SUV|
|Layout||Transverse front-engine, front-wheel drive / all-wheel drive|
|Platform||GM Lambda platform/GMT967 (Series GMT960)|
|Engine||3.6 L LY7 V6 (275 hp)
3.6 L LLT V6 (286 hp)
|Transmission||6-speed 6T75 automatic|
|Wheelbase||118.9 in (3,020 mm)|
|Length||201.8 in (5,126 mm) (2008–2012)
201.9 in (5,128 mm) (2013-)
|Width||79 in (2,007 mm)|
|Height||72.2 in (1,834 mm) (2008–2009)
72.5 in (1,842 mm) (2010–2013)
71.7 in (1,821 mm) (2013-)
|Curb weight||4,780 lb (2,168 kg)-4,985 lb (2,261 kg)|
The Buick Enclave is a full-size luxury crossover SUV launched in May 2007 as a 2008 model by the Buick division of General Motors. The Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and Chevrolet Traverse all share the GM Lambda platform. The Enclave was previewed at the 2006 North American International Auto Show, officially as a concept car, making it the first Lambda vehicle to be displayed. The Enclave is partially based on the Buick Centieme concept shown at the 2003 Detroit Auto Show.
The Enclave replaced both of Buick's SUVs, the minivan-based Rendezvous and the truck-based Rainier, as well as the Terraza minivan. As of February 2014, the 2014 Enclave was the top-ranked Affordable Midsize SUV in U.S. News & World Report's rankings.
The Enclave has seating for seven passengers, with an optional second row bench seat instead of the standard two captain chairs which increases the seating to eight. It comes standard with front-wheel drive with an option of all-wheel drive.
The Enclave shares powertrains with its Lambda siblings. For its first year of production, the Enclave was powered by a 275 hp (205 kW) 3.6 L High Feature V6 engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. For the 2009 model, a 3.6 L V6 Direct Injection Spark Ignition VVT with 286 hp (213 kW) and 255 lb·ft (346 N·m). of torque standard (also standard on other 2009 Lambdas). The latter direct-injection engine offers a broader torque curve, and brings fuel economy to 17 mpg-US (14 L/100 km; 20 mpg-imp)/24 mpg-US (9.8 L/100 km; 29 mpg-imp) for FWD models and 16 mpg-US (15 L/100 km; 19 mpg-imp)/22 mpg-US (11 L/100 km; 26 mpg-imp) for AWD models, according to the new United States Environmental Protection Agency estimates. The Lambda vehicles are built at GM's new Delta Township Assembly plant near Lansing, Michigan, and production of the Enclave commenced on April 11, 2007, with the first vehicles reaching certain dealers by the end of the month. The Enclave debuted with a starting price of $32,790.
The 2012 Buick Enclave still has the 3.6L V6 and 6-Speed Automatic transmission,but the power is now up to 288 hp (215 kW) with the torque coming in at 270 ft·lbf (370 N·m).
The Enclave is often praised for its subsequently vast cargo space while maintaining the relatively dynamic nature of unibody construction over the conventional body-on-frame. It is also praised for being one of the quietest vehicles available for sale in the United States, as well as for the quality of the interior.
In its first year of production, the Enclave was often criticized for its 6-speed transmission, which was "hesitant to downshift." For 2009, though, the powertrain is regarded as more competent with more abundant torque. For its entire production, it has been regarded as too heavy, weighing nearly 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg) with all-wheel-drive. Buick's VentiPorts have reappeared at the Enclave's introduction, a styling feature unique to Buick dating back to 1949.
Initial sales of the Enclave have been very strong, with demand far exceeding production capacity, forcing GM to add a third shift to the Delta Township plant.
GM unveiled the 2013 Buick Enclave on April 3, 2012, one day before its official debut at the New York Auto Show. The 2013 model features revised exterior styling including a new chrome waterfall grille, xenon headlights with LED running lights, and LED taillights. Interior updates include a redesigned dashboard with more soft-touch materials, wood and chrome accents, blue ambient lighting, and touchscreen IntelliLink infotainment display. Among safety features are seven standard airbags, including an industry-first front center airbag, and available blind-spot monitoring. The 2015 Buick Enclave is expected to be a minor facelifted version of the current 2014
The Buick brand has been relaunched in Mexico for the 2010 model year, bringing the Enclave to that market.
Sales in the United States
The Enclave received the Best New SUV / CUV (over C$60,000) from the AJAC in 2008.
- Tutor, Chris (April 11, 2007). "Canadians, get out your wallets: Buick sets pricing for Enclave". Autoblog. Retrieved 2009-12-23.
- "Buick shows off Enclave crossover concept; production version due in '07". AutoWeek. January 8, 2006. Retrieved January 9, 2006.
- Lassa, Todd (May 29, 2007). "2008 Buick Enclave – First Drive". Motor Trend. Retrieved October 28, 2007.
- "2009 Buick Enclave Review". edmunds.com. Retrieved 2009-03-08.
- "2013 Buick Enclave debuts with new look over same drivetrain". Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- Barari, Arman (ed.). "2013 Buick Enclave Lightning Technology". BestCarsGuide.
- "2013 Buick Enclave". Retrieved 2012-04-03.
- "2015 Buick Enclave". Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- Jeremy Korzeniewski (July 29, 2008). "Buick Enclave gets passport for sale in China". AutoBlog. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- Loriana Marietta (August 26, 2009). "Buick Prepares Return to Mexico". Edmunds Inside Line. Retrieved 2009-11-19.
- "GM Reports 323,453 December Deliveries; 3.87 Million Vehicles Sold in 2007" (Press release). General Motors. January 3, 2008.
- "Sales: December 2011 – General Motors – Cheers & Gears: Forums". Cheersandgears.com. 2012-03-12. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "GM U.S. Deliveries for December 2013" (PDF). General Motors. 2014-01-03. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- "GM Deliveries up 19 percent in Blockbuster December". General Motors. 2015-01-05. Retrieved 2015-01-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Buick Enclave.|
- Enclave Large Luxury Crossover - Official Site
- www.enclaveforum.net The largest dedicated Enclave Forum on the web
|« previous — Buick, a marque of General Motors, automobile timeline, United States market, 1980s–present|
|Electra||Electra||Park Avenue||Park Avenue||LaCrosse|
|Full-size station wagon||Estate||Roadmaster Estate|
|Buick, a marque of General Motors, automobile timeline, Chinese market, 1999–present|
|Excelle HRV||Excelle XT|