|• Member of Parliament||Lulume Bayigga|
|Elevation||4,000 ft (1,220 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
Buikwe, sometimes spelled Buyikwe, is a town in Buikwe District, Uganda. It is the administrative center of the district, and the location of the district headquarters. The district is named after the town.
Buikwe is located approximately 55 kilometres (34 mi), by road, east of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. This location lies approximately 12 kilometres (7.5 mi), by road, southeast of Lugazi, the nearest large town. The coordinates of Buikwe Town Council are:0°20'36.0"N, 33°01'44.0"E (Latitude:0.343333; Longitude:33.028889).
Buikwe is a small town in south-eastern Central Region. It is the administrative capital of Buikwe District and is the location of the district headquarters. It is the homebase of Nalubaale Football Club, one of the clubs in the Ugandan Premier Football League.
According to Uganda's Electoral Commission, there were 6,880 registered voters in Buikwe Town Council, as at 27 January 2011. According to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), approximately 50% of Uganda's population is below the age of 18 years. Using that data, it is estimated that the population of Buikwe Town Council in 2011, was approximately 14,000.On 27 August 2014, the national population census put Buikwe's population at 16,633.
Points of interest
- The offices of Buikwe District Administration
- The offices of Buikwe Town Council
- Buikwe Central Market - The largest fresh-produce market in the town.
- Czech - Slovak - Ugandan Hospital - A public hospital staffed by physicians from the Czech Republic
- Buikwe Full Gospel Church - A place of worship affiliated with the Pentecostal Movement
- UBOS, . (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Kampala And Buikwe With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Map Showing Lugazi And Buikwe With Interactive Route Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Google, . "Location of Buikwe Town Council At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Johnson Were, and Norman Katende (7 January 2009). "Nalubaale Boss Quits". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- UEC, . (27 January 2011). "Uganda Electoral Commission: Registration Statistics As At 27 January 2011" (PDF). Uganda Electoral Commission (UEC). Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- CIA, . (2014). "Uganda: People and Society - Population Age Structure". CIA Factbook. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Buikwe District Homepage
- Website of Buikwe Full Gospel Church
- Czech - Slovak - Ugandan hospital (Czech)
- A letter From the Member of Parliament For Buikwe West Constituency