|Improvement Direct, Inc|
|Founded||September 1, 2000Chico, California, USAin|
|Founder||Christian Friedland, David Boctor|
|Headquarters||Chico, California, USA|
|Brands||FaucetDirect.com, LightingDirect.com, Handlesets.com, VentingDirect.com|
Number of employees
Build.com is an online home improvement retailer. The company began selling faucets online in 2000, and now sells many other home improvement products with a focus on plumbing, lighting, hardware and appliances.
In September 2000, Christian Friedland and David Boctor were working on their Computer Science master’s project at California State University, Chico. He and Boctor created an easy-to-browse online format and soon FaucetDirect.com was launched and operated out of Friedland’s college apartment.
In 2005, the company changed its name to ImprovementDirect.com, and in 2010, it launched Build.com as its new brand name.
About the company
Since 2007, Build.com has been named in the Internet Retailer Magazine’s annual Top 500 List of online retailers
- Meredith Cooper. "DIY Webmaster: Improvement Direct's Chris Friedland takes on Home Depot and Lowe's", "News & Review", 22 February 2007. Retrieved on 2010-10-7.
- Laura Urseny. "Chico home-improvement Internet retailer is building on success", "Chico Enterprise-Record", 20 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-6-20.
- Chico News and Review."Chico Internet success sold", "News & Review", 26 April 2007. Retrieved on 2007-4-26.
- Lara Sasken."Improvement Direct Building Up Business Using Tealeaf", "Tealeaf", 6 November 2007. Retrieved on 2007-11-6.
- Raymund Flandez."Three Best Ways to Convert Web Traffic Into Sales", "The Wall Street Journal", 4 September 2009. Retrieved on 2009-9-4.
- Internet Retailer. (http://www.internetretailer.com/top500/profiles/Build-com-Inc/#Build-com-Inc "Top 500 Guide"], "Internet Retailer", 14 May 2012. Retrieved on 2012-5-14.