Build is an annual conference event held by Microsoft, aimed towards software and web developers using Windows, Windows Phone and Windows Azure and other Microsoft technologies. First held in 2011, it serves as a successor for Microsoft's previous developer events, the Professional Developers Conference (an infrequent event which covered development of software for the Windows operating system) and MIX (which covered web development centering around Microsoft technology such as Silverlight and ASP.net).
Build 2011 was held from September 13 to September 16, 2011 in Anaheim, California. The conference heavily focused on Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 and Visual Studio 2012; their Developer Preview versions were also released during the conference. Attendees also received a Samsung tablet shipping with the Windows 8 "Developer Preview" build.
Held on Microsoft's campus in Redmond from October 30 to November 2, 2012, the 2012 edition of Build focused on the recently released Windows 8, along with Windows Azure and Windows Phone 8. Attendees received a Surface RT tablet with Touch Cover, a Nokia Lumia 920 smartphone, and 100GB of free SkyDrive storage.
Build 2013 was held from June 26 to June 28, 2013 at the Moscone Center (North and South) in San Francisco. The conference was primarily used to unveil the Windows 8.1 update for Windows 8. Each attendee received a Surface Pro with a Touch Cover, Acer Iconia W3 (the first 8-inch Windows 8 tablet) with a Bluetooth keyboard and 100GB of free SkyDrive storage.
Build 2014 was held at the Moscone Center (West) in San Francisco from April 2 to April 4, 2014. The date and venue of Build 2014 were prematurely published by Microsoft's website on December 12, 2013, but was subsequently pulled. Microsoft ultimately made an official announcement on the next day. Build attendees received a free Xbox One and a $500 Microsoft Store gift card.
- Microsoft Cortana
- Windows Phone 8.1
- Windows 8.1 Spring Update
- Windows free on all devices with a screen size of 9" or less and on IoT
- .NET Native (Announcement, Product Page)
- Bing Knowledge widget and app linking
- Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC
- Team Foundation Server 2013 Update 2 RTM
- TypeScript 1.0
- .Net Foundation
- Build Conference 2012 Giveaway
- "Announcing Build 2013". Microsoft. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- "Microsoft officially acknowledges Windows Blue". PC World. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Windows Keeps Getting Better". Microsoft. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Weir, Andy. "BUILD 2013: Attendees get 8-in Acer Iconia W3 tablet [Update: ...and a Surface Pro!]". Neowin. Neowin, LLC. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- Guggenheimer, Steve. "Mark your calendars: Announcing Build 2014 by Steve Guggenheimer, Microsoft's Corporate Vice President and Chief Evangelist, Developer & Platform Evangelism". Microsoft. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Warren, Tom. "Microsoft schedules BUILD 2014 developer conference for April 2nd". The Verge. Retrieved 13 December 2013.