Bulgaria was among the States that recognized Indonesia's independence since its Proclamation of Independence on August 17, 1945. The two countries established diplomatic relations on September 21, 1956. Bulgaria has had an embassy in Jakarta since October 1958 and Indonesia has had an embassy in Sofia since 1960.
In June 2003, the two countries signed a memorandum of understanding on trade.
In 2004 The Bulgarian news agency, BTA, set up a cooperative relationship with Indonesia's ANTARA. In 2005 Bulgaria sent USD 82,000 worth of medicine to Indonesia after the tsunami of December 26, 2004. Also in 2004 Bulgarian Foreign Minister Solomon Passy talked to Noer Hasan Wirajuda, Indonesia's Foreign Minister and they agreed that Bulgaria and Indonesia should boost their bilateral cooperation.
Following the May 28, 2006 earthquake in Indonesia, Bulgaria sent humanitarian aid of 160,000 leva for the victims of the earthquake. Disaster Management Minister Emel Etem said that the country would donate medicines, 50 tents and mattresses, 1,500 blankets.
- Foreign relations of Bulgaria
- Foreign relations of Indonesia
- Diplomatic missions of Bulgaria
- Diplomatic missions of Indonesia
- Official Website of the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- "Asian Economic News". AsiaPulse. June 20, 2003. Retrieved 2009-05-14. "A memorandum of understanding (MoU) on the cooperation was signed by officials of the two countries recently, Indonesia's State Minister for Cooperatives and Small Businesses Ali Marwan Hanan said upon his arrival at the Soekarno-Hatta airport from a tour of several eastern ..."
- Bulgaria, Indonesia pledge cooperation against terrorism - AP Worldstream | HighBeam Research
- "Bulgarian News Agency". ANTARA. February 20, 2004. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Tsunami-Hit Countries Get More Bulgarian Relief". Novinite. February 17, 2005. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Bulgaria Offers Helping Hand to Macedonia". September 22, 2004. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- "Bulgaria to Send". The Sofia Echo. Retrieved 2009-05-10. "Bulgaria is ready to send humanitarian aid exceeding in value 160000 leva for the victims of the May 28 earthquake in Indonesia."
- "Bulgaria Sends Aid to Suffering Indonesia". Novinite. May 29, 2006. Retrieved 2009-05-10. "Bulgaria is ready to dispatch BGN 160,000 (EUR 80,000) as humanitarian aid to Indonesia, where the death toll of Saturday's earthquake exceeds 5,000 people."